Legend or Not a Legend

You will note I said let me know your additions. It's hard to keep them all in your mind! But yes I'm adding them right now.

Add dan severn for fucks sakes!

Add dan severn for fucks sakes!

I have Dan Severn on there under "Probably Legends."

In my book he is a legend, but some people have cast doubt because of his known worked fights following his UFC career. But when the polls roll around you will have your opportunity to vote on it!

I have Dan Severn on there under "Probably Legends."

In my book he is a legend, but some people have cast doubt because of his known worked fights following his UFC career. But when the polls roll around you will have your opportunity to vote on it!

I think Dan was added at the beginning.

Apologies, I missed him!. I just thought that he belonged as an unquestionable..coz to me he really is.

funny word, legend. baseball writers and sports writers of the era thought that Jim Thorpe was more amazing that Babe Ruth. yet today Babe Ruth is remembered way more of a legend. why is that? what's the definition of "legend"?

Wiki:
A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude.​

Webster:
: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

this is why Sak is a legend and Hughes may not be, eh? now, with all that said i am forced to ask: where is Minowaman?!?!? :)

I expected harsh feedback, but I also expected people to come in here shouting a lot of obscure Japanese fighters names and saying "How dare you forget so and so!"

I expected harsh feedback, but I also expected people to come in here shouting a lot of obscure Japanese fighters names and saying "How dare you forget so and so!"

Tamura
Takahashi
Funaki
Minowa
:D

Tamura
Takahashi
Funaki
Minowa
:D

LOL. Well I've got Funaki and Tamura (assuming you are referring to Kiyoshi), but I will add Takahashi and Minowa. And this also reminds me to add Genki Sudo!

LOL. Well I've got Funaki and Tamura (assuming you are referring to Kiyoshi), but I will add Takahashi and Minowa.

thanks!, and as we both know that success doesn't necessarily equal legendary status...minowaman is a one of the biggest legends for sure

Matt Serra?

between getting knocked out by Shonie and getting that belt I think he fits the bill.

funny word, legend. baseball writers and sports writers of the era thought that Jim Thorpe was more amazing that Babe Ruth. yet today Babe Ruth is remembered way more of a legend. why is that? what's the definition of "legend"?

Wiki:
A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude.​

Webster:
: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

this is why Sak is a legend and Hughes may not be, eh? now, with all that said i am forced to ask: where is Minowaman?!?!? :)

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

/Sandlot

Matt Serra?

between getting knocked out by Shonie and getting that belt I think he fits the bill.

He certainly had a legendary moment. I think I'll place him under "Possbily a legend."

The definition of a "Legend" is a fighter that will be remembered for a long, long time. Almost everyone on your 3 lists falls under that. Truthfully, almost everyone from the "probably" list needs to be bumped up a tier. You have most of the LHW GOAT contenders pre-Jones on that list for crying out loud. Also, Ronda has obviously eclipsed anything that Gina Carano ever did in her short stint as the face of woman's MMA.

There are also many people who are legends for specific reasons, not just win records. For instance, Bas Rutten is a legend for his contributions to the sport even after retiring from it. Travis Fulton, Jeremy Horn, and Dan Severn are legends for just how many people they've fought, and over such long periods of time. Matt Serra is a legend for being the Buster Douglas of MMA, the ultimate symbol of "anything can happen". Forrest Griffin, Cowboy Cerrone, Chris Lytle, and several others are legends for their huge fan bases and their ability to consistently put on exciting fights.

The list of Legends can get pretty long.

Back