Leg Presses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greco, Gary - are you two just NOT FUCKING LISTENING?

Let me be clear and concise:

LEG PRESSES ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR LUMBAR DISCS.

YOU ARE SIGNIFICANLY MORE APT TO BLOW A DISC DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

MORE PRESSURE IS PUT ON YOUR LOWER BACK DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

IT IS NOT SAFER TO DO LEG PRESSES INSTEAD OF SQUATS.

Can I be any more clear? Get it through your fucking heads.

You should train for whatever goals you have. And, unless you're following those folks around 24 hours a day, you may not know their full routine.

Agreed.

And I didn't say that squats and deadlifts are the only lifts to do, but, based on personal experience (i.e., not regurgitatin' from someone else) if I could only choose 2 lifts to do, those would probably be my choices. My core is a hella lot stronger from heavy squats and deads than it was from endless situps.

And maybe I didn't make myself clear that the injured should see a doctor, but that's what that little bit about "unless ordered by a sports doctor" was in my previous post.

And liftin' like a powerlifter doesn't mean that ya dont do any conditionin' or skill work for your chosen sport (MMA or otherwise). The guy that you see powerliftin' in the gym may do burpees and sprints on off days.

Physiotherapists>You

yes leg presses are alot worse for you because your being as clear as you can.

moron shut the fuck up already

So, what are you trying to say here?

So, let's recap:

- If you have a serious back injury, you might want to go to the doctor.
- Squatting and deadlifting are good, provided that your form is good, and that your discs are where they need to be. If your discs aren't in the right spots, listening to a bunch of dudes on the internet is probably not your best bet.
- Scarlett Johansen is fucking hot.
- Leg press is bullshit for a main exercise. I will argue that It's a decent assistance movement for deadlifts, but I would rather do front squats, belt squats or the power squat to achieve the same ends.
- People like to argue.

150 lb physios who dont squat, use the leg press, and dont have the strength to carry a person up a flight of stairs definitely not better than him.

Better than a testosterone fuled moron who swears to deadlifts and squats as a religion.

Squats and deadlifts for people with disc problems are a No-Fucking-No im not sure why people would argue with that. If your healthy by all means but thats not the case.

Besides the physiotherapist thats taking care of me is an ex-powerlifter, Im an ex-olympic lifter and we live in deadlift squatless harmony for our backs sake.

Im not bragging but my form is flawless for both the lifts as i have been training since i was extremely young and devoted my life and even with my form its extremely painful.

The only solution to hernations or most disc problems are either surgery or physio not key-board warriors

Keyboard warriors solve all life's problems.

Better than a testosterone fuled moron who swears to deadlifts and squats as a religion.

Squats and deadlifts for people with disc problems are a No-Fucking-No im not sure why people would argue with that. If your healthy by all means but thats not the case.

Besides the physiotherapist thats taking care of me is an ex-powerlifter, Im an ex-olympic lifter and we live in deadlift squatless harmony for our backs sake.

Im not bragging but my form is flawless for both the lifts as i have been training since i was extremely young and devoted my life and even with my form its extremely painful.

The only solution to hernations or most disc problems are either surgery or physio not key-board warriors

You seem angry.

So, seriously then, how do you train your legs? And what kind of results have you seen?

I'm genuinely curious, because it certainly would be nice to have more lowerbody training options.

Ok it says i posted but its not showing. let me recap

What i used to do was front squats and classical lifts almost exclusivley on the loading phases and on the deloading phases i would almost exclusivley use the disected variations. I never back squatted or deadlifted but always maintained squatting movements and the use of my legs

With my injury i do body weight squats, Sprint, run on very steep inclinations, I cycle to any destination i may need to go to, I go on high resistance with the stationary bike, Do jumping excercises, Hamstring curls, Leg extensions and rever hype extension.

Some ideas if you want are these

Drop snatches
Sot presses
Box jumps
squat press
over head squat (clean or snatch grip)
Front squat
power snatch
power clean
power jerks
Squat jerk
push press
Split Squat

my options are limited with my injury but i genetically have strong big legs and can maintain it through less complicated means of excercise

Physiotherapists>You

So we should listen to you because you....got injured doing it your way? With your flawless form? And your physiotherapist is an EX-powerlifter?

Riiiight. I think I'm sensing a trend.

And yeah, I admit to being a guy and thus testosterone fueled. I guess if you're having hormone deficiency problems you could get help for that. Or just grow a pair.

You notice I never said he SHOULD do squats or deadlifts? Simply that leg press is far worse than light weight and properly performed squats.

If my logic is getting to you enough to make you start calling names, really, I'll back off.

After all, I don't want to aggravate your back. :)

Physiotherapists>You

6a00d4142efd3f3c7f00d414332aab3c7f-500pi

Even if injured, I think they'll still be good if you go really low in the weights, to strengthen the glutes and overall core. I'm no expert on this, I would like to see what mark rippletoe and stronglifts' have to say about this.

Btw, it seems pretty anal up in here, so I figure i'll lighten the mood.

surprise_buttsecks.jpg

buttsecks.jpg

buttsecks.jpg

So we should listen to you because you....got injured doing it your way? With your flawless form? And your physiotherapist is an EX-powerlifter?

Riiiight. I think I'm sensing a trend.

And yeah, I admit to being a guy and thus testosterone fueled. I guess if you're having hormone deficiency problems you could get help for that. Or just grow a pair.

You notice I never said he SHOULD do squats or deadlifts? Simply that leg press is far worse than light weight and properly performed squats.

If my logic is getting to you enough to make you start calling names, really, I'll back off.

After all, I don't want to aggravate your back. :)

I disagree that leg presses are worse. i just dont see how they can be worse and even in your Crystal clear post you gave no reasoning as to why that may be so you just kind spazzed out on us.

and im calling you names because your talking to us like were a couple of morons.

And you dont want to aggravate my back? Real classy dude

It sounds like you slipped or herniated a disc, Gary. Which is possible to rehab on your own, actually, but not without knowing if any permanent damage has been done (ie - nerve tissue damage, scar tissue build up, etc.).

You do NOT need a chiro or a phys therapist, you DO need an orthopedist.

And seriously, Gary, you need to stay the fuck OUT of the leg press. It is probably the easiest way to injure your low back in the gym. The way it can so easily force your low back to round while using MORE than you could on squats is a recipe for more slipped or herniated discs.

And let this be a lesson to people: rotational movements are NOT what the core is all about. If you have to do them, make sure your spine is in NEUTRAL position, not extended and certainly not flexed.

*POP* Oh look, there goes a vertebra!

You're right, I never mentioned why it might be bad...

On the off chance you're a reader: Dr. Yessis Sports Training - Dangerous Exercises ?

Just one of the many places to find examples of how it's awfully easy to get more injured doing leg presses than it is with squats.

Why are you even trying?

You're right, I never mentioned why it might be bad...

On the off chance you're a reader: Dr. Yessis Sports Training - Dangerous Exercises ?

Just one of the many places to find examples of how it's awfully easy to get more injured doing leg presses than it is with squats.

Why are you even trying?

Using excess weights and rounding your back because of it has nothing to do with the acctual excercise. I can easily use too much weight and round my back with deadlifts and squats and completley fuck myself so i still have yet to hear any real reasoning .

Using excess weights and rounding your back because of it has nothing to do with the acctual excercise. I can easily use too much weight and round my back with deadlifts and squats and completley fuck myself so i still have yet to hear any real reasoning .

4. Leg press. The leg press is used to target the quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteus maximus. The potential danger in this exercise is seen when you, in an attempt to get a greater range of motion, bring the knees in close to the chest on the lowering phase. This, in turn, rounds the lmber spine and because of the heavy weights typically used, (in comparison to the squat), the pressure acting on the spinal discs increases greatly. The high compression forces can cause disc rupture or other low back injury.

The problem is compounded greatly the more the spine in the lumbar area flexes, i.e., the closer the knees come to the chest. In this knee-to-chest position the compression forces act on only a very small portion of the discs instead of the entire disc as when the spine is kept neutral.

To ensure safety in this exercise, it is important that the thighs be brought back only until there is approximately a right angle in the knee joint. The closer the knees get to the chest, the smaller the knee angle and the greater the stress in both the knees and lower back.

from your article. That seems more like an explanation as to why it may be a bad choice but not a worse choice than the squat or deadlift

regardless i dont want to sit and do this with you.

In the end use alot of weight and improper technique your going to fuck yourself could be said about almost any excercise.

but to say the leg press is worse than the deadlift is just bull shit. good night have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back