Leg Presses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a lot of people hating on leg presses, but I just read an article on Mens Fitness (featuring matt hughes and matt serra) where matt hughes says he uses leg presses as a part of his work out routine.

He uses them for lower body endurance.

I dont beleive in leg presses myself but if your having back issues i dont see much else either then leg extensions and serious sprints (which is also not advisable). But honestly i dont think this forum is for you. PEople here will hate on anything thats not deadlifting and squatting It seems to be law that if you dont do those 2 lifts your a fairy/*** and or anything else thats demeaning to your masculinity. If you have a herniation go to a physiotherapist drop the pulls and squats and listen to what he says while doing proper core work. if you have any excess body weight perfect opportunity to hit up cardio and if you want go and do leg presses.

PEople here will hate on anything thats not deadlifting and squatting It seems to be law that if you dont do those 2 lifts your a fairy/*** and or anything else thats demeaning to your masculinity.

Not entirely true, because it's important to work the body as a whole, but most strength comes from the legs and lower back, so if you're not doin' squats & deads, except by sports doctor orders, then your masculinity is in question. Hell, zop squats and deadlifts.

Not entirely true, because it's important to work the body as a whole, but most strength comes from the legs and lower back, so if you're not doin' squats & deads, except by sports doctor orders, then your masculinity is in question. Hell, zop squats and deadlifts.

There are much MUCH more than just squats and deadlifts and i never questioned the importance of using your body as a unit. How ever when one of your discs is completley fucked than its a little hard and painful to do either. And if all your doing is squats and deadlifts in the hopes of becoming "UBER STRONGZOR" than i could probably go out of my way and say you regurgitate alot of what you hear without question

The most strength is generated at your legs true but without a strong core nothing will connect.

I have lower back problems...have had them for a while...but deadlifting has actually helped them alot

There are much MUCH more than just squats and deadlifts and i never questioned the importance of using your body as a unit. How ever when one of your discs is completley fucked than its a little hard and painful to do either. And if all your doing is squats and deadlifts in the hopes of becoming "UBER STRONGZOR" than i could probably go out of my way and say you regurgitate alot of what you hear without question

The most strength is generated at your legs true but without a strong core nothing will connect.

Without a strong "core" you cant deadlift or squat any real weight with proper form.

And leg presses are bad for the back, why? Because of the pressure that the back is under when you are pushing that platform, simply put the body is not made to work that way, while squats and deadlifts are natural motions for which the body was made for.

I've never seen anyone encourage someone with an injury to squat and/or DL. Belt squats are better than leg press if someone has an injury that keeps them from squatting. Squats and DL's will go a LONG way to developing core strength. Throw in some OH squats and OH press and your core should not need much direct work.

Without a strong "core" you cant deadlift or squat any real weight with proper form.

And leg presses are bad for the back, why? Because of the pressure that the back is under when you are pushing that platform, simply put the body is not made to work that way, while squats and deadlifts are natural motions for which the body was made for.

With out a strong core you cant connect power period. I can say that for alot of things.With out a strong core you couldnt do the snatch, CJ, Waiter walks, over head squats, Sprint fast, Hand stand presses, russian flares, v-sits and more.

I hope your not getting what im saying confused because i would never choose leg presses over squats. Im simpley saying a person with disc problems would not want to compress the spine more then they have to and guess what squats to that wonderfully and leg presses dont. and also that squats and deadlifts are not a neccesity for strength. you can do alot of other things. just be creative

If we were all healthy by all means do your squats but thats not the case

I've never seen anyone encourage someone with an injury to squat and/or DL. Belt squats are better than leg press if someone has an injury that keeps them from squatting. Squats and DL's will go a LONG way to developing core strength. Throw in some OH squats and OH press and your core should not need much direct work.

im discouraging d/l's and squats for people with injury im sorry im a little incoherent and my grammar sucks but il try to be clear.

and im not taking anything away from deadlifts and squats they are amazing but there is so much more than just that. and im really talking about a person who has injury so i wouldnt recommend Over head squats and D/L's or over head press for core strengthining

You'll get no argument from me. I advise all those with disc problems to off themselves.

I imagine sleep will be elusive tonight.

I dont beleive in leg presses myself but if your having back issues i dont see much else either then leg extensions and serious sprints (which is also not advisable). But honestly i dont think this forum is for you. PEople here will hate on anything thats not deadlifting and squatting It seems to be law that if you dont do those 2 lifts your a fairy/*** and or anything else thats demeaning to your masculinity. If you have a herniation go to a physiotherapist drop the pulls and squats and listen to what he says while doing proper core work. if you have any excess body weight perfect opportunity to hit up cardio and if you want go and do leg presses.

I dont have too much excess weight. Im probably 7-8% body fat.

I will go see a doctor about my back. My back is actually fine almost all the time. when i do heavy squatting it can get a little painful though.

I see some people at the gym who only powerlift. I personally dont think thats the way to go. I think an athlete should be able to do everything well. ie. be strong, fast, have good endurance, hand eye coordination etc.

but anyways i got a lot of insight from this thread so thanks for that. Ill hit up my doctor and we'll see what happens.

I will go see a doctor about my back. My back is actually fine almost all the time. when i do heavy squatting it can get a little painful though.

I see some people at the gym who only powerlift. I personally dont think thats the way to go. I think an athlete should be able to do everything well. ie. be strong, fast, have good endurance, hand eye coordination etc.
but anyways i got a lot of insight from this thread so thanks for that. Ill hit up my doctor and we'll see what happens.

I agree with you man thats the way to go, good luck with your journey.

You know why powerlifters aren't fast, have good endurance, have good hand-eye coordination? Because they don't fucking have too.

No one here says that if you're an athlete you have to forgo any skill training just because you train like a powerlifter.

Sometimes I wonder about people... :icon_conf

Ok so if you were gonna continue doing them why post this stupid fucking thread in the first place. Go to bodybuilding.com none of us share your views here.

You should train for whatever goals you have. And, unless you're following those folks around 24 hours a day, you may not know their full routine.

Greco, Gary - are you two just NOT FUCKING LISTENING?

Let me be clear and concise:

LEG PRESSES ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR LUMBAR DISCS.

YOU ARE SIGNIFICANLY MORE APT TO BLOW A DISC DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

MORE PRESSURE IS PUT ON YOUR LOWER BACK DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

IT IS NOT SAFER TO DO LEG PRESSES INSTEAD OF SQUATS.

Can I be any more clear? Get it through your fucking heads.

Greco, Gary - are you two just NOT FUCKING LISTENING?

Let me be clear and concise:

LEG PRESSES ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR LUMBAR DISCS.

YOU ARE SIGNIFICANLY MORE APT TO BLOW A DISC DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

MORE PRESSURE IS PUT ON YOUR LOWER BACK DOING LEG PRESSES THAN SQUATS.

IT IS NOT SAFER TO DO LEG PRESSES INSTEAD OF SQUATS.

Can I be any more clear? Get it through your fucking heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back