Laverne Clark first mma fight - Shonie Carter *Video*

This thread digress much. Laverne Clark showed the boxing is an important part of mma

Everybody knows that an elite boxer would always beat an elite wrestler, provided they're both in their prime

This is a huge speculation. I probably disagree, but we dont know

I have a hard time believing that there are too many pro boxers out there that could stuff a TD from Lesnar even with a few years of training.....then again we all saw how horrible Brocky's boxing was.....if someone like Wlad, Vitali, Povetkin or even Adamek tagged that chin of his......ouch.

This is a flat out fucking lie.
Graciebarra.... I'm calling you a liar.
You're making this shit completely up.

Shonie was not in any sense of the word a striker going into this fight.
I read the article in a karate mag the month after this fight happened where Carter was saying that it was BECAUSE of this fight that he started striking.
I am well aware via direct and indirect means that Carter had been an elite wrestler (starting around the age of 11, 12 or 13) as well as being well involved with both judo and bjj by the time he was at the U of Tenn.

Don't you fucking dare tell anyone about your thoughts of their "gullibility" when you come here and outright fucking lie.

You're a fucking liar. At the best, you're an ignorant moron who is bothered by the fact that an accomplished grappler got beat in an event where Clark was being set up to lose his debut.

First of all I would never lie on an internet forum! I have seen him knock out plenty of guys with spinning backfists at an underground nightclub called tropicana's in Chicago that was located on milwaukee avenue in the mid 90's. These fights were off the books and not many people outside Chicago knows about them. I saw about 4-6 matches of his in those days and he won I believe every one of his fights by spinning backfist. I seen him knock a guy unconscious for about 5 minutes with it. He was training at Combat-do in Cicero in those days!

I may have been wrong saying shonie was a kickboxer(am not sure what standup art he practiced may have been karate) but he had some striking in his arsenal in those days and some nice judo throws. The spinning backfist was always his finishing move. If SHONIE posts in any of these forums or has a facebook page ASK HIM ABOUT TROPICANA"S in the 90's and ask him how many guys did he knock out cold with the spinning backfist and than we will see who the liar is!

Does anyone know if shonie posts here? If he does I will try to link him on this thread!

BLAH BLAH
Lemme guess, you're one of dem ullltimate fightin fans that think just because you know how to do an armbar, you would own any body out there am I correct? You probably think you could make Pacquiao yer bitch because of your submeession skillz right? LOL

Finally, he's not a boxer. He started in Karate, ergo the sloppy striking. What is poor technique in boxing is considered fine in Karate.

I disagree. I think you've seen too many McDojos or something. I am not saying a Karate guy will be as good with his hands as a boxer but he's hardly sloppy.

I have a hard time believing that there are too many pro boxers out there that could stuff a TD from Lesnar even with a few years of training.....then again we all saw how horrible Brocky's boxing was.....if someone like Wlad, Vitali, Povetkin or even Adamek tagged that chin of his......ouch.

I do not think Brock would be KO'ed by either of them by a single shot. He ate brutal GnP for like two minutes and did not go out. His stand up is pretty weak though.

I do not think Brock would be KO'ed by either of them by a single shot. He ate brutal GnP for like two minutes and did not go out. His stand up is pretty weak though.

I think he was speaking to the fact that Carwin hit him with an arm punch and he turtled up, Carwin does hit hard but he loses potential power by having terrible form when he threw the punch.

He was visibly hurt by that punch so it isn't outside the realm of possibility (I believe it's well within as a matter of fact) that one of the named boxers would've put him out. I think someone may have been exposed for not having a good set of whiskers.

I think he was speaking to the fact that Carwin hit him with an arm punch and he turtled up, Carwin does hit hard but he loses potential power by having terrible form when he threw the punch.

He was visibly hurt by that punch so it isn't outside the realm of possibility (I believe it's well within as a matter of fact) that one of the named boxers would've put him out. I think someone may have been exposed for not having a good set of whiskers.

I have to disagree with you.

The hardest puncher in boxing simply cannot compare to GnP.

A study was done with Randy Couture. His stand up punches registered at a meager 500-600 PSI. His GnP was over 1500 PSI.

GnP is a lot worse than a standing strike because you cannot really evade it. Your head is more or less stationary, and when you get hit in the face the back of your head (the most sensitive part) is going to get smashed up against either the cage or the mat. Neither are very 'giving.'

I think the reason Brock turtled up is because he was afraid of what Carwin might be able to do.

Carwin has knocked out several big men. he is a huge guy himself and he has good wrestling credentials. Really, he was tailor made to beat Brock. He is like a heavy weight version of Chuck Liddell - his stand up may be 'ugly' but it is brutally effective and he's good got wrestling.

Carwin knocked out Gonzaga with what looked like a jab or a simply stiff-armed punch. He did not put his hips or anything into that punch. That kind of power is not something you can learn. That is God given.

If SHONIE posts in any of these forums or has a facebook page ASK HIM ABOUT TROPICANA"S in the 90's and ask him how many guys did he knock out cold with the spinning backfist and than we will see who the liar is!

Does anyone know if shonie posts here? If he does I will try to link him on this thread!

A liar is someone who posted what you initially posted.
If you want to rescind the comment be my guest.

Also, no one's saying he never KOd a guy with a spinning backfist - so don't try to hide behind that point.

A liar is someone who posted what you initially posted.
If you want to rescind the comment be my guest.

Also, no one's saying he never KOd a guy with a spinning backfist - so don't try to hide behind that point.

Seems as if you're simply being a bit of a bitch, and have been this entire thread.

Don't really care how you feel on the matter, Dono....

You could have easily just asked him for proof, and been cordial. You're stooping down to the average shertard level in this thread, and you shouldn't. You're one of the consistently great posters in the boxing forum.

You could have easily just asked him for proof, and been cordial. You're stooping down to the average shertard level in this thread, and you shouldn't. You're one of the consistently great posters in the boxing forum.

You're making me blush.

for what it's worth....
I did admit (further down stream) that I was acting like a dick.

And, I am truly sorry about it.
I have a hard time with it (no pun).... just ask my wife (seriously.... no pun).

I disagree. I think you've seen too many McDojos or something. I am not saying a Karate guy will be as good with his hands as a boxer but he's hardly sloppy.

It's true though.......alot of what you do in karate would be seen as atrocity in boxing (Not that there's anything wrong, it's a just a matter of different arts/sports). Look at Machida's stance, the first thing any boxing coach would do is ask "What the fuck is that boy doing?" But hey it works doesn't it? And he's tooled many MMA fighters that tried to use their boxing against him. Granted I'd hardly call Rashad Evans an example of a good boxer even by MMA standards but still.

You're making me blush.

for what it's worth....
I did admit (further down stream) that I was acting like a dick.

And, I am truly sorry about it.
I have a hard time with it (no pun).... just ask my wife (seriously.... no pun).

pics of said hardness?

wait, wut?

GracieBarra is about to get owned some more.
That fucking liar deserves nothing less.
It took me less than a fucking minute to find this online.
If he cared to check he could have found it himself. But liars with agendas aren't so detailed.

Enjoy:

Link =
CungLeEvent

LOL!

Owned-Footballers_balls.jpg

I was looking for this and finally found it - from Black Belt mag:

The next bout was the first of two superfights on the card. It pitted LaVerne Clark against John Lewis, and it proved to be a great example of what happens when you train a pro-level boxer in ground fighting and match him with a top jiujitsu man trained in boxing. When the action began, Clark seemed to intimidate Lewis, a blackbelt under Gene LeBell. Clark's sprawl completely neutralized Lewis' takedown attempts, and when the fight did go to the mat, it was Clark on top pouding away in Lewis' guard. In the end, Clark won a well-earned unanimous decision.

Not trying to stir up the pot with this.
My main point with the thread is just to show that it's not completely impossible for a boxer to have some success with the sport of mma.
If anyone has followed any of my posts - whenever there's a mention of an mma fighter coming to boxing I'm always for the transition and hope for success.

I was looking for this and finally found it - from Black Belt mag:

Not trying to stir up the pot with this.
My main point with the thread is just to show that it's not completely impossible for a boxer to have some success with the sport of mma.
If anyone has followed any of my posts - whenever there's a mention of an mma fighter coming to boxing I'm always for the transition and hope for success.

Not a huge Boxing Fan, but the forum is very interesting and i'm slowly learning. Anyway.

Don't let the douchers in the heavies stain the name of MMA fans. Anyone who says that a Boxer isn't a threat in MMA is clearly about half a dozen eggs short of a carton. If a Boxer can develop significant ground skills, or even godly TDD (See Cro Cop, Mirko and Liddell, Chuck) i'd give them a good chance to beat anyone that MMA could throw at them. Same applies for MMA fighters. If Chuck Liddell devoted himself to Boxing, i'm sure he could have a decent amount of success as well. The sports are closer than most think, but the advantage that Boxers have in MMA is the mastery of their hands. Whereas the MMA fighter is the literal "Jack Of all Trades", the Boxer is a master of a MAJOR aspect that would allow them to succeed in MMA. Sure it's a bit of the "puncher's chance", but when your punches are precise and refined, it really becomes a waiting game for that one that really matters. It might come, it might not, but if it does, it's lights out.

With that being said, i'm rooting for James Toney against Couture. I'm a diehard MMA fan, but just because MMA is the in thing right now doesn't mean that the fans can go around disrespecting a storied sport such as Boxing. The Mercer-Sylvia fight could be considered a fluke just due to the circumstances surrounding it, but Toney beating Couture leaves little to the imagination as to the effectiveness of a Boxer in the cage. Maybe that'll be enough to knock some of the kiddies off of their high horses. I might not know Boxing like some of you other guys in here, but I can damn sure respect it.

Back