Laverne Clark first mma fight - Shonie Carter *Video*

Me thinks you're forgetting the uppercut that derailed Hughes' single leg attempt and gave Clark top position.

but why get defensive when i say the guy hasn't made much of himself?

Wow, your perception must really suck.
Because it's funny how you "perceive" your saying that Clark 'sucks' to saying "golly, I just don't think he's made much of himself."

You really shouldn't be as confident with your sensory faculties as you are.

Also, since when did "stealing the round" = "domination"?

I just noticed that on the Clark / Carter fight video (first video on this thread) that Shonie Carter is introduced as "Shoney Clark".
Nice production.

it wasnt clear. it was a stalemate for 90% of the first until the reversal and hughes put on more punishment in 20 seconds than clark had in 5mins

safe to say he could have "stole" that round.

Hmmm... no. Thanks for conveniently overlooking the rest of my post though.

So, for all those years and years of wrestling experience that Hughes had, why was a less-than-journeyman boxer able to stifle and reverse a takedown attempt, gain top control and win 4 minutes and 45 seconds of the round?

your saying that Clark 'sucks' to saying "golly, I just don't think he's made much of himself."

here i'll repeat it: he sucks, and has not made much of himself as a fighter in mma or boxing and has been dominated on both sides

here i'll repeat it: he sucks, and has not made much of himself as a fighter in mma or boxing and has been dominated on both sides

Fair enough.
No one ever said you weren't entitled to have a weak opinion on something.
Conversely, no one ever said you wouldn't look like an idiot for the standards you play by.

you're right, not a clobbering

he got annihilated

i guess if he was able to clinch a little longer with adamek he might've gone 5 rounds too

you might want to watch your own videos because that's what happened

sorry. better luck next time

poor clark though, got beat by some wrestler with half the years in mma experience as him

LOL

Yep...

the dip$hit needs to watch his own videos before making up stories about them.

LOL

Yep...

the dip$hit needs to watch his own videos before making up stories about them.

You're calling me a dipshit after I stood up for you on other threads on this forum?
Agree with Ios as much as you like, but I guess I see your true colors now.

You're calling me a dipshit after I stood up for you on other threads on this forum?
Agree with Ios as much as you like, but I guess I see your true colors now.

Mcbarman...

Sorry bro...it was just a knee jerk reaction to all of these MMA vs Boxing threads...it has soured my attitude a great deal.

My apologies.

Dominated in boxing, yes, but dominated in MMA? I don't know about that. Sure, he's gotten older and he's slowed down considerably since his best days, and lately he's lost more than he's won, but overall he has a nice little record for himself. He was quite a test for the top fighters in the division while he was in his prime.

Mcbarman...

Sorry bro...it was just a knee jerk reaction to all of these MMA vs Boxing threads...it has soured my attitude a great deal.

My apologies.

Mcbarman...

My apologies.

No sweat....
FWIW, when I saw that there was a new reply on here by you I had a feeling it wouldn't be agreeing with me. :D
But that's cool.... I still like ya, ya big ol' lug you

In attempts at all fairness....
I usually don't mind Ios either.
I think he's well wrong about this one, but, I've been acting like a dick to a large extent on this forum.

I need the patience of MMAmouse

I just have avoid threads like this, and PBF vs Pacman threads...
they turn me into an a$$Hole.

Hmmm... no. Thanks for conveniently overlooking the rest of my post though.

So, for all those years and years of wrestling experience that Hughes had, why was a less-than-journeyman boxer able to stifle and reverse a takedown attempt, gain top control and win 4 minutes and 45 seconds of the round?

clark had been competing in MMA for almost 4 years at that point. i mean i don't expect clark to land every shot he throws. boxing makes up roughly one third of mma, so i'd expect some success. i also wouldnt be surprised if hughes actually hit him with a punch either; it's not out of the ordinary, it happens. unless you have a disability, anyone can punch, anyone can kick, anyone attempt takedowns. they're learned skills, something clark had 4 years to do. hughes had a couple and at that point i can't imagine hughes was a whiz back then, but you never know

clark landed an uppercut, hughes overshoots, clark changes positions and gets on top

from then on out just about nothing happens. hughes holds on, clark tries to break his grip and that goes on for 4 minutes. then hughes reverses, and its a one sided beating from there. clark looks done at the end of the round, either gas tank or spirit. personally i usually give the round to who does the most punishment or submission attempts, that's just me though.

it would be one of those rounds where someone stole it at the last few seconds. a draw wouldn't be out of the question if you care more about positioning. im not a big fan of guys like monson who do absolutely nothing except stay on top and take a nap, some people like it

Dominated in boxing, yes, but dominated in MMA? I don't know about that. Sure, he's gotten older and he's slowed down considerably since his best days, and lately he's lost more than he's won, but overall he has a nice little record for himself. He was quite a test for the top fighters in the division while he was in his prime.

you have to objectively look at his record: his best wins in mma and boxing are probably danzig, who's outside of the top 100 lightweights, and an olympic boxing medalist who was 12-1 at the time

his other wins are against guys with 1-4 records, and other chumps. he is not a gatekeeper, and is a level from a bum.

to be honest i dont know how he did against adamek and allan green, other than he got finished roughly the same time he did against hughes, ellenberger, trigg etc. equal failure and success in both sports.

Yeah, now. But he's been ranked much higher.

not too sure.

he might've won TUF, but he's beaten nobody. he's a lightweight, and i don't think he's ever been ranked higher than 100. his dec loss to clark was his 6th fight

I go off topic?
I thought it was a really interesting thread idea.... then the C.H.U.D.s surface.
What do you expect me to do?
Funny, GracieBarra was so wrong to the point of lying.... but none of you seemed too concerned about that. No, you went after me and my post and I responded.

Neither of you are concerned about the truth of something. If you were you would have hopped on GracieBarra.... but nope, didn't do that.

I skimmed his post and after a few sentences I just skipped it entirely . This is sherdog, taking every post seriously will force you to cut yourself.

Anyway I'm staying out of this one, I'd like to point everyone towards that 1940s p4p best thread.

I skimmed his post and after a few sentences I just skipped it entirely . This is sherdog, taking every post seriously will force you to cut yourself.

Anyway I'm staying out of this one, I'd like to point everyone towards that 1940s p4p best thread.

Not bad advice

Back