Laverne Clark first mma fight - Shonie Carter *Video*

too bad boxing legend mercer lost to kimbo. a boxer will always get a punchers chance i always say that look at sylvia mercer. boxers lose against mauy thai guys because theyre so one sided. a onesided sport does not succede in a sport where your allowed to do multiple things
80655217.jpg

too bad boxing legend mercer lost to kimbo. a boxer will always get a punchers chance i always say that look at sylvia mercer. boxers lose against mauy thai guys because theyre so one sided. a onesided sport does not succede in a sport where your allowed to do multiple things

Provide the information regarding this wealth of boxers v MT fighters that you're aware of.
I think we'd all love to see it.
Or would this be considered an a priori conclusion on your part?

Mighty Mo Siliga

goes to show.... if you suck in boxing, you're probably going to suck in mma like clark

Whe deed mErcer looose to kimBo?

goes to show.... if you suck in boxing, you're probably going to suck in mma like clark

.....Or anyone, outside of Mercer, who bettered Fedor's performance against UGC champ Sylvia.

Clark's problem, according to Pat Militech, was his lack of interest in training and learning other dimensions. I think it was before his fight with Iha (or maybe after it) he said that you just can't get Clark in the gym.

However,
you're getting away from the point. Clark, a guy whose bread and butter was boxing did pretty well. If you were being a bit more gracious with this I think you'd agree that, all things considered, Clark is not considered a failure in mma. Certainly doesn't deserve "suck".

Even fat ol' Mighty Mo Siliga, who was a late fill in opponent, did pretty good against Josh Barnett.
Even dropped blondy with a hook and stuffed a takedown or two.
And that was on like 2 weeks notice for this fight. Visibly fat and overweight.
Sucking wind because of a lack of training and a kick to the nuts..... all helped Barnett win.

Lol

Shonie went for a very sloppy takedown and got clipped.Shit was ugly but it's a chance you take when you shoot from the outside instead of engaging. Does everyone really think that once it touches the matt that someone with no grappling experience can survive? Come on this boxing vs MMA thing always comes down to records,money , and athletics. In the end MMA is a superior form of combat, fuck the athletes , fuck the pay, fuck the record books.

If you bring a child in and train him in Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling, and Judo then take a boy and put him in only Boxing. Let both reach the age of 25 and throw them at each other who do you think will win? It's all about who has more tools in the toolbox and their ability to transition into them seamlessly. There is many a sloppy striker in MMA , but you can take the best Boxer/Kickboxer the world has ever known and he would still just be a one dimensional athlete with an obvious Achilles heel.

Well ain't this my fucking day....
Barnett v Mo is online. And it looks like Mo stuffed more than one or two takedowns.

People can object "but Mo is a kickboxer", however, Mo is a boxing sparring partner who found some success in K-1. Calling him a kickboxer would be similar to calling Butterbean a kickboxer because of his foray in K-1:

Clark's problem, according to Pat Militech, was his lack of interest in training and learning other dimensions. I think it was before his fight with Iha (or maybe after it) he said that you just can't get Clark in the gym.

However,
you're getting away from the point. Clark, a guy whose bread and butter was boxing did pretty well. If you were being a bit more gracious with this I think you'd agree that, all things considered, Clark is not considered a failure in mma. Certainly doesn't deserve "suck".

im sure his motivation goes both ways

and well hes sub journeyman, like carter, who isnt even top 250 in the world

his mma career at best mirrors his boxing career -- getting clobbered by guys like hughes, adamek, ellenberger, green and losing to just about everyone else with a winning record

he's had his days, like knocking out olympic boxing medalist acevedo and beating some other journeymen. who's his best mma win? i think mac danzig is just outside of the top 100, i guess that decision would be considered his best win

maybe he's one increment above sucking

Lol

Shonie went for a very sloppy takedown and got clipped.Shit was ugly but it's a chance you take when you shoot from the outside instead of engaging. Does everyone really think that once it touches the matt that someone with no grappling experience can survive? Come on this boxing vs MMA thing always comes down to records,money , and athletics. In the end MMA is a superior form of combat, fuck the athletes , fuck the pay, fuck the record books.

If you bring a child in and train him in Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling, and Judo then take a boy and put him in only Boxing. Let both reach the age of 25 and throw them at each other who do you think will win? It's all about who has more tools in the toolbox and their ability to transition into them seamlessly. There is many a sloppy striker in MMA , but you can take the best Boxer/Kickboxer the world has ever known and he would still just be a one dimensional athlete with an obvious Achilles heel.

Why is Bigthingsson still here?

I like how B.S. justifies the fight by calling it a "sloppy takedown".
"ooooh no no no.... see, it's not a legit win because that was a sloppy takedown".

But more to the point - Bradlee was banned for less than this child, yet he's still here trolling the boxing forum as well as my profile page.
For fucks sake BS, quit being a profile Peeping Tom already. Everytime I go to my profile page there you are.

Iosephus....
YOu do know that Clark was actually doing pretty good for awhile against Hughes right?

we have yet to see a GOOD boxer in MMA. We only see guys that have no future in boxing going into MMA. Considering how well Liddell has done with nothing but a sprawl and very shitty boxing who knows what would happen. And PLEASE don't tell me a good sprawl is imposible to learn if u spent your life boxing

Nobody is going to tell you that a sprawl is impossible to learn, but it takes more than a sprawl to prevent a takedown. Liddell has been wrestling since he was in highschool. He was division 1 in college. You can't learn that in a couple years.

More than that, despite having great takedown defense, Liddell does get put on his back from time to time. With nothing other then some takedown defense that's a death sentence. Fortunately he's been training BJJ for 13 or 14 years (and he's still only a purple belt, that should tell you how difficult it is to become proficient in BJJ). Chuck has some very good defensive jiu jitsu.

Finally, he's not a boxer. He started in Karate, ergo the sloppy striking. What is poor technique in boxing is considered fine in Karate. He's beaten much more technical strikers, because of good speed, power, accuracy, and a chin that can take damage.

I'm not saying that his striking is great, it isn't, just that a good boxer would need to bring more to the table than just a sprawl to replicate Chuck's success.

Back to the subject at hand. Of course, a good boxer always has a very good punchers chance. Doesn't change the fact that what happened in that video is more of an exception than a common occurrence.

After beating Shonie Carter, Laverne lost his very next two fights by submission in the first round.

And finally, it's not like Laverne spent all his years in MMA fighting out of a boxing gym. He was a mixed martial artist, not at all a pure boxer. Despite trying to pick up the grappling aspect of MMA, look how many fights he lost by submission.

if by pretty good you mean getting clinched and held on to and then dominated, then yes, he did "pretty good""

Why is Bigthingsson still here?

I like how B.S. justifies the fight by calling it a "sloppy takedown".
"ooooh no no no.... see, it's not a legit win because that was a sloppy takedown".

But more to the point - Bradlee was banned for less than this child, yet he's still here trolling the boxing forum as well as my profile page.
For fucks sake BS, quit being a profile Peeping Tom already. Everytime I go to my profile page there you are.

It's a legit win, its on the record books is it not? Doesn't make that takedown any less sloppy though. Same goes for that Gif someone posted, sloppy, sloppy , sloppy. Mr Mo did pretty good stopping the takedowns but what happened once his back touched the floor .

I check everyone's profile page to check posts ect, finding interesting topics isn't easy in this forum filled with people such as yourself. I mostly enjoy reading the Boxing History topics which is why I'm here often. I rarely find a need to get into a flame war with the average idiot so I don't post in many topics. The ignorance I find in these Boxing VS MMA threads always compels me though. I really just need to stop reading the boxing subforum, every topic some how degenerates into an attempt to put down MMA. Kind of pathetic really ,you guys pretty much resemble the Heavies in your own respect.

if by pretty good you mean getting clinched and held on to and then dominated, then yes, he did "pretty good""

I like the swing of intensity as you see it...
"Just a simple little being clinched and held, not much going on.
But... then Hughes gets his opportunity and DOMINATION!!!!!!!!"

Despite the fact Clark is controlling the flow of the first round, landing punches, and forearm choking Hughes.... nah... for you that's all "getting clinched and being held".

Hell....
why not.

Clark v Hughes.

Not a clobbering.

you're right, not a clobbering

he got annihilated

i guess if he was able to clinch a little longer with adamek he might've gone 5 rounds too

I like the swing of intensity...
Just a simple little being clinched and held, not much going on.
But... then Hughes gets his opportunity and DOMINATION!!!!!!!!

you might want to watch your own videos because that's what happened

sorry. better luck next time

poor clark though, got beat by some wrestler with half the years in mma experience as him

you might want to watch your own videos because that's what happened

sorry. better luck next time

poor clark though, got beat by some wrestler with half the years in mma experience as him

Poor Clark? I'm sure he's fine with it. Again, if you had a clue about the perception of strikers in the early days of the modern mma revival you'd know that.... but you don't because most fans who used TUF as their gateway into the sport are ignorant to the fact, as you are.

And again, Clark is controlling Hughes, that D-1 All American Wrestler.... choking him with his forearm and landing shots.
If you don't see that then.... thanks for the luck wish, but coming from you it can't be too good of a thing to have.

Back