Economy Last days of Tesla. Closing a dozen solar plants. Loses deal with Home Depot.

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
This is why Steve Jobs was so great. Focus. What is focus? Focus is about saying NO. Musk said yes to everything. No focus. Now he is trying to streamline Tesla but it is too late. I bet those trucks never get delivered either. As Jobs said, he created something that was less than the sum of its parts. So many great ideas but ended up being less as a whole. And it is a management issue. It is on Musk. He never put a bullet in the head of any thing. Jobs loves to kill.

Electric car maker Tesla's move last week to cut 9 percent of its workforce will sharply downsize the residential solar business it bought two years ago in a controversial $2.6 billion deal, according to three internal company documents and seven current and former Tesla solar employees.

The latest cuts to the division that was once SolarCity — a sales and installation company founded by two cousins of Tesla CEO Elon Musk — include closing about a dozen installation facilities, according to internal company documents, and ending a retail partnership with Home Depot that the current and former employees said generated about half of its sales.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/tesla-to-close-a-dozen-solar-facilities-in-9-states-documents.html

Too bad. Musk has some fun ideas. But I guess from the outside looking in lack of focus does seem like an issue.

“People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.”

Steve Jobs

Too bad. Musk has some fun ideas. But I guess from the outside looking in lack of focus does seem like an issue.
Elon Musk is a guy that would benefit from human cloning more than anyone else on the planet right now. The dude is absolutely brilliant and has work ethic for days, but he quite literally does not have enough hours in the day to be able to do every project he wants to. Between an electric car company, solar energy for everyone, getting people to Mars with reusable rockets, tunnels, the hyper-loop, Open AI, and he's even talked about a hypersonic electric plane, he is simply too busy for one person.

Elon Musk is a guy that would benefit from human cloning more than anyone else on the planet right now. The dude is absolutely brilliant and has work ethic for days, but he quite literally does not have enough hours in the day to be able to do every project he wants to. Between an electric car company, solar energy for everyone, getting people to Mars with reusable rockets, tunnels, the hyper-loop, Open AI, and he's even talked about a hypersonic electric plane, he is simply too busy for one person.
There's a sound guy in my town that will run the soundboard for a couple live venues that's the same. Dude is brilliant and would work 120 hours a week if it was physically possible too. To quote a DJ friend of mine "as far as the hustle, no one beats Todd".

That said, he takes too much on his plate at once. He runs a small landscaping company, is in a local band that does charity concerts as a drummer, runs a recording studio, AND runs soundboards for two separate bars.

Musk seems to be the same way. It's like a fat kid at a buffet. There comes a point where the fat kid puts too much on their plate or goes back for too many plates and starts throwing it all up. Musk has hit that point I think.

I support what he's trying to do, but I don't think he's the guy to get it over the finish line (referring to electric vehicles).

I'd have to imagine after Q2 wraps up and they report that they burned another $700mil in cash, investors will start to flee.

There's a sound guy in my town that will run the soundboard for a couple live venues that's the same. Dude is brilliant and would work 120 hours a week if it was physically possible too. To quote a DJ friend of mine "as far as the hustle, no one beats Todd".

That said, he takes too much on his plate at once. He runs a small landscaping company, is in a local band that does charity concerts as a drummer, runs a recording studio, AND runs soundboards for two separate bars.

Musk seems to be the same way. It's like a fat kid at a buffet. There comes a point where the fat kid puts too much on their plate or goes back for too many plates and starts throwing it all up. Musk has hit that point I think.
He's absolutely brilliant, but he can't do it all alone. I wonder if some of his time would be better spent cultivating worthy lieutenants who can run some of these ventures for him. Delegation is hard, but it needs to be done.

He's absolutely brilliant, but he can't do it all alone. I wonder if some of his time would be better spent cultivating worthy lieutenants who can run some of these ventures for him. Delegation is hard, but it needs to be done.
I don't think we see him do it though.

We will see. Time and age have funny ways of changing men.
True but guys like him and Jobs seem very set in their ways. We never saw jobs really "evolve" much did we? I mean, the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad are all basically different sized versions of the same thing. Just one only hold music, another can do the same shit as the other too AND make calls.

I didint think they were selling that great.

No gas though, cant beat that

I hate Tesla Drivers... they think they're the shit.

I hate Tesla Drivers... they think they're the shit.

How many have you actually talked to? I’ve known one guy who has one. He preferred his other car (BMW M4) so I can’t say my experience with Tesla drivers matches mine.

Reminds me of this.

https://www.jimcollins.com/concepts/the-hedgehog-concept.html

The Hedgehog Concept is developed in the book Good to Great. A simple, crystalline concept that flows from deep understanding about the intersection of three circles: 1) what you are deeply passionate about, 2) what you can be the best in the world at, and 3) what best drives your economic or resource engine. Transformations from good to great come about by a series of good decisions made consistently with a Hedgehog Concept, supremely well executed, accumulating one upon another, over a long period of time.

hedgehog-concept.jpg

Back