LAPD upset with TMZ for how quickly they (accurately) reported on Kobe's death

I’ll probably read up on this a little bit more later, but right now Im just reading up on Kobe and Vanessas foundation for inner city youth and seeing if I can volunteer my time.
I'm glad you took something positive from the situation.

So, is this thread the first time TS has been confronted with the fact that he's a cold, shitty human being?

I think it's a matter of police and journalists wanting to do their job. Can't blame either one of them for wanting to do so.

While it think it would have been better to learn of what happened through the police...this is the digital age we live and it's hard to imagine any news outlet not wanting to be the first to break it instantly and doing so.

The flip side to this of course is that the media when reporting very hastily like this, can make factual errors that come back to bite them in ass later. Legally and for their reputation.

A while ago wasn't it reported that Rush Limbaugh had died?

I can understand why the sheriff feels this way, and might even side with him a bit. However in the age of social media, where news is almost instantaneous, we have to expect the news of a high profile celebrity's death to be out as soon as they are identified.

Last edited:
In a way the cops were right that TMZ shouldnt have reported on it before they notified the family. They were right in the fact that the cops should have been more efficient in doing their jobs so they would have notified the family before TMZ did. TMZ is efficient at their jobs, the cops aren't.

Just an aside, but TMZ is efficient at their job in this instance, because they have people tailing certain celebrities all the time. Paparazzi knew right after the crash that he was in it, because they already had eyes on him.

Let us hope the police never get that kind of efficiency.

I don't know about TMZ, but the information reported surrounding this was pathetic in general.

"5 victims" - 9 victims actually

"4 daughters involved" - 1 daughter involved, actually.

I don't want to harp too much, because it was obviously a chaotic situation for the press, but get your fucking facts straight before reporting. It's nice for us to just wait and see, but think about the families and what they were put through with all this nonsense. The media is a fucking joke.

that’s what would annoy police I imagine. Imagine if they actually got a victim wrong instead of just the number of victims, or report all passengers dead but one lived, etc.

death notifications are usually made in person unless it’s just not possible. Don’t want to call someone on the phone and tell them their loved one is dead then listen to the sound of their car flying off the freeway, or they faint and crack their head open, etc.

So they’d have sent a couple officers to his home to make the notification, same for the other victims. And they would do the same for anyone, not just celebrities. Death notifications, especially cold ones (unexpected and sudden) are one of the most somber duties police/deputies have. It sucks. A lot.

I understand that it's their job to get the news out as fast as possible, but at the same time waiting for confirmation is usually a good idea.

I think we keep forgetting that at least one child was on the helicopter.

Waiting until the parent(s) were notified in person by the crisis officer within the LAPD before TMZ hit the presses would have been the honorable thing to do.

I understand that it's their job to get the news out as fast as possible, but at the same time waiting for confirmation is usually a good idea.
No that's not the issue. They wouldn't have posted it if they didn't have a legit source; they actually have to maintain a fairly rigid level of credibility for something as sensational as major celeb death, since they have a lot of money riding on their brand these days across TV and internet. The police are mad because they think media aren't allowed to announce a death of a famous person before they make an announcement/notification.

Last edited:
The question is how did tmz find out so quickly. Maybe first responders should look inward for those unprofessional loose lips. Sounds like someone told tmz before they told the family... That's the fuck up here.

I think we keep forgetting that at least one child was on the helicopter.

Waiting until the parent(s) were notified in person by the crisis officer within the LAPD before TMZ hit the presses would have been the honorable thing to do.

Fo we expect TMZ to act honorably?

Is that even possible in their line of work? Gotta give the customer what they want

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/media/tmz-death-report-kobe-bryant/index.html

Man what the fuck is this dude on about?
Do you think it's a cardinal sin to report the sudden and tragic death of a world famous person when it breaks?
Is learning about the death from some cop on a phone call that much more pleasant than a news story if someone Kobe knew found out that way?

I definitely found out via TMZ and have no problem since they didn't get it wrong.

Weren’t you just talking about being a gifted student?

Why are you calling them pigs like a moron?

Speaking of TMZ, I still remember when after Rampage lost to Forrest and went on that Rampage on the streets in California, that there was a Sherdogger that made a thread about it and even posted two pics of Rampage being arrested by his big truck. A few pages into the thread there was a link to TMZ reporting on the story and using the Sherdog posters' pics uncredited.

Anyone else remember that?

lol. that whole thing was insane. Fuckin TMZ ripping off a sherdogger

Weren’t you just talking about being a gifted student?

Why are you calling them pigs like a moron?
Cause they're taking time away from an undeniable tragedy to huff and puff like piggies (or do you prefer the big bad wolf comparison?) about a complete non-issue reality that a super fucking famous person was accurately announced as dead before they could make an official statement to the public. It's complete sham virtue signaling by small men who want to take a dig at the media over a perceived slight like they are some grand heroes of truth in whether or not Kobe did or didn't die in a helicopter crash.

Ironically the police dude is bringing even more unneeded drama and attention on the familial aspect in their attempts to get a dig in. Nobody was super offended that TMZ was the first to let us know until this cop cried about how they reported too quickly hours later.

People who refer to cops as "piggies" are detestable people in my experience, and usually lead lives richer in a criminal element.

People who refer to cops as "piggies" are detestable people in my experience, and usually lead lives richer in a criminal element.

What if they are rappers and it's part of their playbook?

What if they are rappers and it's part of their playbook?
Whether sincere or not they're pandering to that criminal element I just mentioned.

Cause they're taking time away from an undeniable tragedy to huff and puff like piggies (or do you prefer the big bad wolf comparison?) about a complete non-issue reality that a super fucking famous person was accurately announced as dead before they could make an official statement to the public. It's complete sham virtue signaling by small men who want to take a dig at the media over a perceived slight like they are some grand heroes of truth in whether or not Kobe did or didn't die in a helicopter crash.

Ironically the police dude is bringing even more unneeded drama and attention on the familial aspect in their attempts to get a dig in. Nobody was super offended that TMZ was the first to let us know until this cop cried about how they reported too quickly hours later.
You’re misstating the facts here.

The complaint was that TMZ reported it before the LASD (not LAPD) could inform the families, not that they beat them to informing the general public.

That’s a big difference.

They're about as smart and spellbinding as sovereign citizens/first amendment auditors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back