LAPD upset with TMZ for how quickly they (accurately) reported on Kobe's death

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/media/tmz-death-report-kobe-bryant/index.html

It also upset police who suggested the speed in which TMZ had reported the news -- a little more than an hour after police said they received reports of a downed aircraft -- outpaced that of officers who were seeking to notify the family members of victims.
During a press conference, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva took a swipe at the website when explaining to reporters why he would not yet confirm the identities of those who were aboard the helicopter when it crashed.
"It would be extremely disrespectful to understand that your loved one ... perished and you learn about it from TMZ," Villanueva said. "That is just wholly inappropriate."
Los Angeles County Undersheriff Tim Murakami also jabbed TMZ in a tweet.
"I am saddened that I was gathering facts as a media outlet reported ... Kobe had passed," Murakami wrote. "I understand getting the scoop but please allow us time to make personal notifications to their loved ones. It's very cold to hear of the loss via media. Breaks my heart."

Man what the fuck is this dude on about?
Do you think it's a cardinal sin to report the sudden and tragic death of a world famous person when it breaks?
Is learning about the death from some cop on a phone call that much more pleasant than a news story if someone Kobe knew found out that way?

I definitely found out via TMZ and have no problem since they didn't get it wrong.

Last edited:
They would prefer to notify the family before it’s blasted all over the internet you stupid bastard.
Nothing is stopping them from notifying anybody and I find it so odd that you think the police in this situation are some custodians of who is allowed to know about people dying in an wild helicopter crash.

Reporting on someone’s death before the family is notified is a dick move.

The cops were right.

Nothing is stopping them from notifying anybody and I find it so odd that you think the police in this situation are some custodians of who is allowed to know about people dying in an wild helicopter crash.

There are things they need to do before notifying the family but you’re obviously mentally challenged. Good day, sir.

The cops were right.
So the journalists are supposed to sit around and not write about a confirmed death of a megacelebrity and are supposed to omnisciently know when some random cop gets around to making phonecalls to some undefined subset of people?

There are things they need to do before notifying the family but you’re obviously mentally challenged. Good day, sir.
Yes, I am very mentally challenged for not being upset that a news agency reported accurate facts on a famous person's sudden death.

Is learning about the death from some cop on a phone call that much more pleasant than a news story if someone Kobe knew found out that way?

I would say so, yes. Getting a personal call that your loved one died vs happening upon it on social media and being blindsided and not knowing if it's true....gotta say the former is way less traumatizing.

I don't really blame TMZ, since that's their job and there's value in being first, but it still sucks for the family.

Perhaps something as simple as not knowing the phone number of his wife or family? I could see that stopping them from notifying people, not completely but certainly in a timely manner.

I don't know about TMZ, but the information reported surrounding this was pathetic in general.

"5 victims" - 9 victims actually

"4 daughters involved" - 1 daughter involved, actually.

I don't want to harp too much, because it was obviously a chaotic situation for the press, but get your fucking facts straight before reporting. It's nice for us to just wait and see, but think about the families and what they were put through with all this nonsense. The media is a fucking joke.

Death investigations have notifications that need to be made before the next of kin can be notified. Finding out your loved one has passed away on the internet before anyone has time to reach out to you is bullshit.

So the journalists are supposed to sit around and not write about a confirmed death of a megacelebrity and are supposed to omnisciently know when some random cop gets around to making phonecalls to some undefined subset of people?
Holy shit are you retarded? Notifying the family is a priority, not “when some random cop gets to it”. Police stations have press liaisons, and the press can easily find out if the family has been notified or not.

just by calling them piggies in your thread title it’s clear you don’t like cops.

I don't know about TMZ, but the information reported surrounding this was pathetic in general.

"5 victims" - 9 victims actually

"4 daughters involved" - 1 daughter involved, actually.

I don't want to harp too much, because it was obviously a chaotic situation for the press, but get your fucking facts straight before reporting. It's nice for us to just wait and see, but think about the families and what they were put through with all this nonsense. The media is a fucking joke.
So new information came out on a fast developing story = media a fucking joke?
You're right up there with the snowflake cop in the echelons of looking for an excuse to rant against "the media".
Pretty much every story I read clearly stated it was developing and not confirmed beyond Kobe's passing, but hey, congrats on getting something to fake outrage about.

The cops were right.
In a way the cops were right that TMZ shouldnt have reported on it before they notified the family. They were right in the fact that the cops should have been more efficient in doing their jobs so they would have notified the family before TMZ did. TMZ is efficient at their jobs, the cops aren't.

I would say so, yes. Getting a personal call that your loved one died vs happening upon it on social media and being blindsided and not knowing if it's true....gotta say the former is way less traumatizing.

I don't really blame TMZ, since that's their job and there's value in being first, but it still sucks for the family.
This is the only response anyone should have. As much as I dislike TMZ it’s their job to break major stories surrounding celebrities. However, gathering the facts, making a phone call and talking to loved ones and showing empathy is far better than randomly hearing about tragedies like this on the internet.

So new information came out on a fast developing story = media a fucking joke?
You're right up there with the snowflake cop in the echelons of looking for an excuse to rant against "the media".
Pretty much every story I read clearly stated it was developing and not confirmed beyond Kobe's passing, but hey, congrats on getting something to fake outrage about.

I get that you're a rebel who hates cops, but it really has nothing to do with the irresponsible media. Try not being an idiot for a few minutes.

In a way the cops were right that TMZ shouldnt have reported on it before they notified the family. They were right in the fact that the cops should have been more efficient in doing their jobs so they would have notified the family before TMZ did. TMZ is efficient at their jobs, the cops aren't.
I’m curious, at what stage of a death investigation do you believe the next of kin should be notified?

dude stfu and stop taking the focus off of what matters right now.

I think it's a matter of police and journalists wanting to do their job. Can't blame either one of them for wanting to do so.

While it think it would have been better to learn of what happened through the police...this is the digital age we live and it's hard to imagine any news outlet not wanting to be the first to break it instantly and doing so.

The flip side to this of course is that the media when reporting very hastily like this, can make factual errors that come back to bite them in ass later. Legally and for their reputation.

Speaking of TMZ, I still remember when after Rampage lost to Forrest and went on that Rampage on the streets in California, that there was a Sherdogger that made a thread about it and even posted two pics of Rampage being arrested by his big truck. A few pages into the thread there was a link to TMZ reporting on the story and using the Sherdog posters' pics uncredited.

Anyone else remember that?

Back