LAPD upset with TMZ for how quickly they (accurately) reported on Kobe's death

"Your husband is dead..."
Her: *in shock*
"And so are your four kids"
Her: "Wait, no, three of them are here with me. Maybe Kobe is okay?"
"lol just kidding, just your husband and one kid are dead. We think. We'll let you know more later."

Yeah I'd say waiting for the police to make the official notification is the decent thing to do, considering the medias goal is speed and content, not accuracy of content. Don't fuck with people at the worst point in their life for money. That's not decent.
/Thread

Drag the TS corpse out of here!

Yes, I am very mentally challenged for not being upset that a news agency reported accurate facts on a famous person's sudden death.

this all went right over your head. you still don't get it.

Last edited:
dude stfu and stop taking the focus off of what matters right now.
I mean I literally am only writing about this because the cops made statements about it and tried to make it an issue.
Thread wasn't "TMZ faster than the cops, therefor cops suck" its "Cops make issue with public statements against TMZ"

I mean I literally am only writing about this because the cops made statements about it and tried to make it an issue.
Thread wasn't "TMZ faster than the cops, therefor cops suck" its "Cops make issue with public statements against TMZ"

<Kobe213>

Speaking of TMZ, I still remember when after Rampage lost to Forrest and went on that Rampage on the streets in California, that there was a Sherdogger that made a thread about it and even posted two pics of Rampage being arrested by his big truck. A few pages into the thread there was a link to TMZ reporting on the story and using the Sherdog posters' pics uncredited.

Anyone else remember that?

Omg no but please someone dredge this up. That’s sooooo TMZ.

Didn’t TMZ also report all of his daughters were in the chopper too?

The question is how did tmz find out so quickly. Maybe first responders should look inward for those unprofessional loose lips. Sounds like someone told tmz before they told the family... That's the fuck up here.
Oh it's almost certainly a first responder who told TMZ. They have all sorts on the payroll for scoops on celebrity drunks, crime, other.

I'm guessing this one quietly gets someone a 6 figure 'tip" fee based on what they disclose for such tips. And they want to pay it as they know that quietly gets out and then others are incentivized to try and race the tip in first.

No one is with you.

0 likes.

Maybe they should start dealing with the people in their depts that get payoffs to leak big stories then

a2085196d370581a8c90a059061a3fe6_lg.jpg

This "exclusive" from TMZ was first posted by a Sherdogger.
He probably sold the picture to TMZ. If you have the goods, they pay up real quick. Of course I don't know anything about the law on this sort of thing, and maybe posting something publicly in a certain way makes it fair game.

He probably sold the picture to TMZ. If you have the goods, they pay up real quick.
Nah, I remember the thread, people told him they were using his pics and that he should have put a watermark on them. He definitely didn't sell them, I think when you post them publicly to a website like this you're giving up your rights to them. Not entirely sure about that though.

Nah, I remember the thread, people told him they were using his pics and that he should have put a watermark on them. He definitely didn't sell them, I think when you post them publicly to a website like this you're giving up your rights to them. Not entirely sure about that though.
It would be pretty funny if Sherdog sold it to them. And didn't even give the guy a Plat upgrade.

No one is with you.

0 likes.
You clearly can't read but enjoy congratulating yourself. Whatever makes you happy I guess? It's long past the point where your shtick of "omg your random post didnt' get likes, whereas I have a few internet buddies who repeatedly satiate my ego when I make empty troll comments" got noticed.

There is no privacy anymore.

People need to accept that.

Fuck TMZ but they did nothing wrong.

Yeah, what I want is a cop in tactical gear to give me a hug.

Hands up, don't shoot, just want a hug.

I have to agree if my loved one died I don't give a shit if I learned about it from the cops or TMZ. I'm going to be dealing with all kinds of things at that point and who told me is the least of my concerns.

I understand the cop's point but at this point its a pipe dream to expect TMZ to sit on such a juicy story for even a few hours much less whoever long it takes for the cops to send someone to inform next of kin of the death. A story like this represents one of the biggest influxes of site traffic and clicks for them I bet.

LOL at 'world famous'.
lol are you kidding me?
Kobe was one of the most famous athletes in the history of human existence. Probably one of the Top 100 people known by name in the history of mankind when measure by total people reached/familiar with.

A large majority of people on all continents, even non-basketball fans, knows who "Kobe" is/was. He was extremely famous in China particularly.

Last edited:
out of all the people in the world, Kobe was arguably among the top 10 of all time basketball players, he's internationally known, even the most casual know him. Dont really have an issue with TMZ as long as it's accurate, a mega celeb doesnt have the same privacy expectations as normal folk, price of fame.

LOL at 'world famous'.
Guy was world famous.
One of the biggest athletes in his prime.
Was he Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali?
Of course not but besides Michael Jackson and Jesus, you can't find anyone more famous than those two anyway.

Guy was world famous.
One of the biggest athletes in his prime.
Was he Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali?
Of course not but besides Michael Jackson and Jesus, you can't find anyone more famous than those two anyway.
In terms of total people who knew them, Kobe was at that same level.
There are over 50% more people on earth than there were in the 80s and way more with access to media.

Jordan, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe are the 4 basketball players I can think of in the same echelon.

An obvious troll thread has people arguing for pages. Is normal?

Nothing is stopping them from notifying anybody

Derp, that isn't what he was saying. He was saying the police didn't have the time to get that done before TMZ reported it.

and I find it so odd that you think the police in this situation are some custodians of who is allowed to know about people dying in an wild helicopter crash.

Police might have better information and therefore are better equipped to deliver this type of news.

In terms of total people who knew them, Kobe was at that same level.
There are over 50% more people on earth than there were in the 80s and way more with access to media.

Jordan, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe are the 4 basketball players I can think of in the same echelon.
I love Kobe, but there is only one Michael Jordan.
Also there was 5.1B in the world in the 80s. Now its like 7.6B. Not a very big difference especially if you look at the increase and where those populations are taking place
Regardless if Kobe died of natural causes at an older age. It would still be sad but not very dramatic.
When MJ dies, no matter what the cause, the world will mourn.
Look at Michael Jackson.
His biggest years were the 80s-90s.
Still was the biggest death in history when he passed in 2009.

Back