LAPD upset with TMZ for how quickly they (accurately) reported on Kobe's death

This is the only response anyone should have. As much as I dislike TMZ it’s their job to break major stories surrounding celebrities. However, gathering the facts, making a phone call and talking to loved ones and showing empathy is far better than randomly hearing about tragedies like this on the internet.
Yeah so we can agree "if someone close to Kobe found out via the news rather than via a cop or relative it might kinda suck a bit more", but not really considering the person is dead and it sucks dicks either way. You think someone finding out via Twitter that their friend/relative died is going "man this sucks, but it sucks even more because I'd really wish Sergeant Randy from the LAPD who I've never met in my life was the guy to give me a ring"?.
Just seems like the cops being upset at nothing that people got wind of the story before they could become the arbiters of information and using the situation to inject their agenda.
I found out via obscure euologies from mutual friends on Facebook that my last roommate died of a blood clot and my thoughts were never "omg fuck Mark Zuckerberg for letting me find out this way instead of thru a phonecall from our mutual roommate or the police!"
It was "wow I'm really upset they died and I feel an unspeakable emptiness beyond any consideration for how I found out"

Last edited:
I think it's a matter of police and journalists wanting to do their job. Can't blame either one of them for wanting to do so.

While it think it would have been better to learn of what happened through the police...this is the digital age we live and it's hard to imagine any news outlet not wanting to be the first to break it instantly and doing so.

The flip side to this of course is that the media when reporting very hastily like this, can make factual errors that come back to bite them in ass later. Legally and for their reputation.
Right, but as a free-market loyalist wouldn't your argument be that the market will punish people who post fake things?
TMZ seems to have not posted anything that was factually incorrect, other than the final deathtoll going up from 5 to 9 once it was confirmed it was passengers+crew.

Speaking of TMZ, I still remember when after Rampage lost to Forrest and went on that Rampage on the streets in California, that there was a Sherdogger that made a thread about it and even posted two pics of Rampage being arrested by his big truck. A few pages into the thread there was a link to TMZ reporting on the story and using the Sherdog posters' pics uncredited.

Anyone else remember that?
I remember the thread. I didn't realize TMZ used their pics lol

I’m curious, at what stage of a death investigation do you believe the next of kin should be notified?
Depends on who the person is that's involved. If it's a famous celebrity then you need to notify the family much quicker than someone that isn't of interest to the public. Kobe's name was released well before anyone else on that copter for that very reason, he's a celebrity and there's a general interest from the public in him. Soon as you can confirm the identity, notify the family otherwise you run the risk of it being a story on a website and spread all over social media.

Right, but as a free-market loyalist wouldn't your argument be that the market will punish people who post fake things?
TMZ seems to have not posted anything that was factually incorrect, other than the final deathtoll going up from 5 to 9 once it was confirmed it was passengers+crew.
In other words.. you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

It's happened before to other media outlets. Not saying in this case specifically.

I remember the thread. I didn't realize TMZ used their pics lol

a2085196d370581a8c90a059061a3fe6_lg.jpg

This "exclusive" from TMZ was first posted by a Sherdogger.

a2085196d370581a8c90a059061a3fe6_lg.jpg

This "exclusive" from TMZ was first posted by a Sherdogger.
Damn, they even put TMZ.com on the bottom as if it was theirs, I'm sure he could have put a case on them for that.

Yeah so we can agree "if someone close to Kobe found out via the news rather than via a cop or relative it might kinda suck a bit more", but not really considering the person is dead and it sucks dicks either way. You think someone finding out via Twitter that their friend/relative died is going "man this sucks, but it sucks even more because I'd really wish Sergeant Randy from the LAPD who I've never met in my life was the guy to give me a ring"?. Just seems like the cops being upset at nothing that people got wind of the story before they could become the arbiters of information.
I have yet to be on a major crime scene/incident that the news wasn’t crawling all over. It’s the nature of the beast and both professions intersect so to act blindsided or angered is probably not the right reaction. This is Kobe Bryant and his 13 year old daughter we are talking about though. This hurt us all, I know my son and my girlfriend have been upset all day and I’ve been looking at some of his old motivational stuff as well. I do think it’s better to hear from someone that holds an official position over the confusion of seeing it on the internet though.

dude stfu and stop taking the focus off of what matters right now.
Oh so the police actually involved in the case attacking media outlets is fair game, but me pointing it out on Sherdog is somehow super uncool?
But hey, makes sense the person upset at me for sharing information would side with the cops who are upset at a reporter for sharing information.

I'm not seeing what TMZ did wrong. They report on celebrities. A celebrity died. Th hey found out and reported it. I'll bet they got some traffic and ad revenue from being first. That's literally their job.

TMZ is not responsible for the speed at which police departments notify next of kin.

Lol at this turdfire of a thread. Did you think anybody was going to be on your side on this?

Those dirty pigs didn't think the family should learn about the death on twitter?

:rustled:

Just seems like the cops being upset at nothing that people got wind of the story before they could become the arbiters of information and using the situation to inject their agenda.
I found out via obscure euologies from mutual friends on Facebook that my last roommate died of a blood clot and my thoughts were never "omg fuck Mark Zuckerberg for letting me find out this way instead of thru a phonecall from our mutual roommate or the police!"
It was "wow I'm really upset they died and I feel an unspeakable emptiness beyond any consideration for how I found out"
You’re in shock when you find out anyway, but I don’t think who you hear it from softens the pain any less. I do believe that it is more dignified though and far less traumatic for the loved ones. I hated reading about all the unconfirmed reports of Rick Fox and Kobe’s other daughters on the helicopter.

I agree with @brackis1 actually.

If you're a tabloid news organization, breaking celebrity-related news as quickly as possible is your driving impetus. Being faster than other outlets is how you make all your money. People can harp as much as they want about how it shouldn't or shouldn't be this way, it IS this way, accept and respect the game. The guy who brought the info in is getting a promotion.

The fact is if your loved one is dead, the source of your grief... is the death of the loved one. Being confused for a few minutes after the story broke out is meaningless.

This is just the typical human thing of trying to cope with tragedy by trying to find people to hold responsible (TMZ of all things). It's just a tragedy, helicopter caught fire. People need to drop it and stop trying to find witches to burn.

Also a lot of irony in CNN generating clicks by making this inflammatory story. They're not better than the people they're criticizing in the slightest.

I think it's a matter of police and journalists wanting to do their job. Can't blame either one of them for wanting to do so.

While it think it would have been better to learn of what happened through the police...this is the digital age we live and it's hard to imagine any news outlet not wanting to be the first to break it instantly and doing so.

The flip side to this of course is that the media when reporting very hastily like this, can make factual errors that come back to bite them in ass later. Legally and for their reputation.
This is the correct take , it was a shitty situation but expecting the press to just sit on this is naive in 2020

You’re in shock when you find out anyway, but I don’t think who you hear it from softens the pain any less. I do believe that it is more dignified though and far less traumatic for the loved ones. I hated reading about all the unconfirmed reports of Rick Fox and Kobe’s other daughters on the helicopter.
Those weren't done by TMZ and TMZ accurately reported who died. The police officer is specifically upset that they didn't get to be the ones to let people know Kobe died, which is ridiculous.

Damn, they even put TMZ.com on the bottom as if it was theirs, I'm sure he could have put a case on them for that.

TMZ probably purchased the pics from the dude after.

when that whole thing with Captain Sullenberger went down, landing his plane in the Hudson, I was working for CBS - there were so many people lined up outside with their footage/pics etc. trying to sell them.

at CBS' Broadcast Center on W57th, they have this giant, massive vault, literally & exactly like what you'd see in a crazy bank heist movie with a crazy ass giant circular metal or whateverthefuck door with some crazy locking mechanism. there's no money or anything in there at all - just old reels, tapes & all sorts of endless data. that's where all the pics/video clips & shit end up.

I imagine now it must be nearly all converted to digital format but of course, still housing all the original materials.

Those weren't done by TMZ and TMZ accurately reported who died. The police officer is specifically upset that they didn't get to be the ones to let people know Kobe died, which is ridiculous.
I’ll probably read up on this a little bit more later, but right now Im just reading up on Kobe and Vanessas foundation for inner city youth and seeing if I can volunteer my time.

Speaking of TMZ, I still remember when after Rampage lost to Forrest and went on that Rampage on the streets in California, that there was a Sherdogger that made a thread about it and even posted two pics of Rampage being arrested by his big truck. A few pages into the thread there was a link to TMZ reporting on the story and using the Sherdog posters' pics uncredited.

Anyone else remember that?
I remember the thread , forgot all about TMZ stealing them lol

Back