Kyukushin/Judo

T

thaiking

What do you guys think of Jon Bluming system, Kyukoshinkai karate with Judo, a lot say it is the old fashion version of Muay Thai/ BJJ, but for some reason I like the Kyuk/judo version for some reason. I was just wondering what you guys tink of this.

Kyokushin Karate is not just for self defence. Ask GSP, Glaube Feitosa and Francisco Filho. KK can be just as effective as Muay Thai, it all comes down to the practitioner. Sherk trains Muay Thai but he got beat on his feet against GSP.

Good combo IMO.....It seems to me Kyoko trains with some reality and we all know Judo does randori so there you go.
The benefit to this combo versus the BJJ/MT combo is you actually learn takdowns so if you are getting pummeled on your feet you CAN bring the fight to the ground much easier than a BJJ guy.

The downside is you dont get AS MUCh sub grappling exp once you are on the ground.

But all in all a very well rounded combo.

Pretty good combo. I do judo, and I tried Kyokushin Karate once.... damn... I never thought I would be too much of a wimp to not do a martial art, but Kyokushin was it. You get punched once in the chest and it is all over. Very painful martial art.

i am just thinking the Kyukushin part, there is a 10dan here in NYC who just opened a gym and looking for guys to train Full-contact, judo not sure of, I like this gym in the city team Alliance under Fabo Clemente which was hot when I checked it out .

KK Karate is a strange sport. You don't wear gloves, you can't punch to the face and the whole idea is basically to bruise each other with body blows and low kicks until one drops or breaks his hand.

I think I'd rather go with kickboxing or MT thank you.

thaiking said:
i am just thinking the Kyukushin part, there is a 10dan here in NYC who just opened a gym and looking for guys to train Full-contact, judo not sure of, I like this gym in the city team Alliance under Fabo Clemente which was hot when I checked it out .
Are there actually legit 10th dan Kyokushin masters?

I'd definitely make sure the guy is legit before starting anything.

Evil Eye Gouger said:

The guy is Legit he was part of kyukushinkai in japan for many years then he came to NYC and got involved with Oyama Karate(off-shoot of Kyukushinkai) he opened his own gym when Oyama closed his down. Grand Master Matsumoto is his name. The guy is hard-core I wouldn't consider leaving Muay Thai just for any karate system

thaiking said:
The guy is Legit he was part of kyukushinkai in japan for many years then he came to NYC and got involved with Oyama Karate(off-shoot of Kyukushinkai) he opened his own gym when Oyama closed his down. Grand Master Matsumoto is his name. The guy is hard-core I wouldn't consider leaving Muay Thai just for any karate system
Cool. As long as you did your homework.

The problem with most styles of Karate (and with most martial arts in general) is that they splintered into myriads of different organisations, and each one is run by self-proclaimed grandmasters. The chances of getting scammed are enormous.

Cornsloth said:
Yeah, so... Wrestling is good, but it has it's drawbacks.

Well, we're talking about blends of styles.

And what makes wrestling so great is that it allows you to dictate when the game hits the groun and...if you're good enough...HOW the game hits the ground.

Kforcer said:
Well, we're talking about blends of styles.

And what makes wrestling so great is that it allows you to dictate when the game hits the groun and...if you're good enough...HOW the game hits the ground.
Then Wrestling would br a good blend with Judo or Kyuk don't you thing. The main thing with wrestling is the clinch and take-downs so wrestling can benefit even TKD, I don't think it benefits one particular style or system.

I know Jon Bluming out of Holland has produced many world champions in Pancrase, K-1 etc. So his blend of Kyuk and Judo has to have some benefits to it

thaiking said:
Then Wrestling would br a good blend with Judo or Kyuk don't you thing. The main thing with wrestling is the clinch and take-downs so wrestling can benefit even TKD, I don't think it benefits one particular style or system.

Yeah, judo and wrestling are practically sister-styles. Clearly, having a little of both can do wonders. As Yoshi Nakamura or Rhadi Ferguson.

Evil Eye Gouger said:

Kyokushinkaikan's highest ranked member is Bobby Lowe. He is a 9th-Dan.

Half Boston Crab said:
KK Karate is a strange sport. You don't wear gloves, you can't punch to the face and the whole idea is basically to bruise each other with body blows and low kicks until one drops or breaks his hand.

I think I'd rather go with kickboxing or MT thank you.

How is fighting bare-knuckle strange? Even though we don't allow hand strikes to the head, there are plenty of strategies for downing an opponent. Rounds are usually too short to "wear down" an opponent and are fought at a much faster pace than any other combat sport. The objective for the fighter is produce one solid strike that's capable of putting the opponent down whether it's a uppercut to the liver or a kick/knee to the head. Sure, we exchange a lot of shots that don't connect as intended, but it's not a race to see who gets knocked out first like how Gary Goodridge fights.

It is also rare for world-class Kyokushin fighters to break their hands. Wrist and hand strengthening is basic procedure during training. And many Kyokushin dojos always stress the importance of keeping the hands and wrists strong in order to prevent injury. A broken hand or wrist may happen occassionally, but what combat sport doesn't produce injured fighters?

I'll admit, kumite is fought a strange distance compared to other combat sports; thus, many fighters have a difficult time adjusting in order to fight up close. Stand-up fighting, in general, isn't the most realistic in terms of combat either, whether it's Muay Thai or Kickboxing. All those sports have rules, too. It's only a matter of how well a fighter handles himself within the limitations of those rules. People can say that most Kyokushin fighters lack head punching defense, which is true. But I can tell you that a Muay Thai fighter or Kickboxer would be a fish out of water fighting under Kyokushin or WTF rules.

Its a good combo. Are you planning to compete in MMA or you just enjoy training?

Back