Kung Fu

Why would he quit??? He'd more likely, considering he has a fighting heart, keep what's useful and discard the trash. Kung-fu teaches you to move in circles. Kung-fu teaches to attack with unlikely weapons from strange angles. The fighter might discard the forms from Kung-fu, and likely, if he is only hand-to-hand, the weapons usage, but not all of it.

Originally posted by Who's Laughin' Now?
Why would he quit??? He'd more likely, considering he has a fighting heart, keep what's useful and discard the trash. Kung-fu teaches you to move in circles. Kung-fu teaches to attack with unlikely weapons from strange angles. The fighter might discard the forms from Kung-fu, and likely, if he is only hand-to-hand, the weapons usage, but not all of it.

in THEORY. how boutt practice? are thees theories ever tested and tested successfully?

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
traditional chinse people (who are the majority of china chinese) don't want to beleive this certain style, where u wait, think, KICK, punch straight, block, is an effective style. they like to see tiger punch, mantis flop, ape fist, panda butt.

LMAO! I'm sorry, that just really cracked me up... panda butt, haha :D

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
in THEORY. how boutt practice? are thees theories ever tested and tested successfully?

So, are you implying that kung-fu DOESN'T teach you to move in circles, or that moving non-linearly isn't useful? Either way, that doesn't seem too likely. Moving JUST in circles is bad, but moving JUST in straight lines is almost as bad, if not worse. It comes back to the whole yin-yang/iron-silk thing. One cannot exist without the other, and if you use too much of either, you will fail.

cops also like to use dogs. just imagine a submission on a dog haha. Triangle choke. haha.

Dave

Baguazhang and Bajiquan were used to teach the bodygaurds of Mao, Chang, and many emporers before that. Master Su's Venezualean desciple , Martin, has an unbeaten record of 5 muai thai championships. Master Su trained him in Baji and Mantis kung fu since he was 10, and 4 months before his competition he started learning muai thai to understand his opponents. Baji is a very explosive linear kung fu and mantis is a good complement to that. The link is in that tripod crane website further up the page, the whole site is good reading all about muai thai, sanshou and kung fu.

So, are you implying that kung-fu DOESN'T teach you to move in circles, or that moving non-linearly isn't useful? Either way, that doesn't seem too likely. Moving JUST in circles is bad, but moving JUST in straight lines is almost as bad, if not worse. It comes back to the whole yin-yang/iron-silk thing. One cannot exist without the other, and if you use too much of either, you will fail.

Either you will fail if you dont prqactice something enough, and either will you fail if you use to much, stick to whats simple.

I can be shown 300 moves, but work on 1, we all did it in the same time, and I perfected 1 moves greatly, you know 300 moves, and I win. Get the idea?

i don't think u udnerstood what i meant by theory.
theory: i can break the erath w/ my fist. to do so i just have to believe
practice: actually demonstrate it

i'm saying kungfu says stuff liek "this block is a couner to bhudda palm, dragon kick etc"...but when in a real fight, is that true?" kungfu pl can say "if move circles like this u can dodge this" why should anyone learn it if in reality it doesn't work or isn't tested right? i never seen a guy move in circles and be able to succeed, cuz that person would tire out really fast. in addition i never seen kungfu work.

"in addition i never seen kungfu work". Like i said, the guy with the most muai thai championships to his name was trained in 2 styles of kung fu. Theres alot of worthless shit, but alot of good teaching too.

The man with most muay thai titles is Apidej Sit Hirun. He held 7 titles at the same time. THAT is unbeaten since his days.

Oh ..the titles were lumpini only..the one that counts (no shitty pharang-stadium) ;)

what years did he fight in? Hey, give Martin some credit he still showed much skill and won alot. Hmm, didnt know 7 was the record, is there a link with that info?

www.fairtexbkk.com

He's a trainer there. It was during the 70's I think. He was named 'muay thai fighter of the century' by the king in thailand just the other year.
The titles was seven consecutive weight classes from the heaviest at 145lbs and the six weights below 145lbs. He now has a heart problem due to his extreme dieting to move up and down in weight to defend all his titles.

I agree that Baguazhang is much a badass fighting art. It says a lot if all the emperor's bodyguards were pakua masters.

No one in their right mind, whether you are a traditional MA or a sport fighter, goes without cross training. My primary style is Kung Fu, however, I spar full contact and cross train in grappling, boxing, and MT. My opinion on McDojo's is that it is often times an issue of poor instruction rather than style. BBJ is still synonymous with the Gracies and kept "pure" which is why you have so many great BBJ fighters and teachers (I'm sure there are some bad ones). The problem with many other styles is that often times as soon as someone gets a black belt either they quit, or see dollar signs and hop to open a school. There's an infomercial for a local school that airs every Saturday morning here in Memphis. It's a TKD school with 3 locations. All you see are kids throwing horrible (fundamentally fucked) kicks, almost tripping over themselves with NO control. These kids are from about 5 - 14 years old and wearing "advanced" level belts. And very few adults they showed looked just as bad. The whole premise was that it was a day care. I've seen (and sparred) some very good TKD fighters. The difference is that they had good quality instruction and cross trained.

I'LL ADMIT I AM OVERLY SENSITIVE WHEN IT COMES TO DEFENDING KUNG FU!!!!!!

There, I said it... Why? Because I can only judge by MY PERSONAL experience. I know there are a lot of bullshit Kung Fu schools who overly romanticize things and look down on MMA and sport fighting. My school doesn't promote the "grasshopper" mentality. I am trained to knock someone TFO or use a joint lock to either sub them, break some shit, and/or beat the shit out of them. Look online. You pull up Kung Fu and you get a bunch of bullshit which never talks about fighting or real self defense. If that's your only way to form an impression of Kung Fu then I wouldn't argue with you.

I think that it's better to use these boards to learn about different styles instead of bashing them. That's why I posed a question to TKD practitioners here. I see a ton of McDojo TKD schools (like the informercial) and I found TKD fighters who answered me where open and honest about the plusses and minuses about their chosen style. No style is useless, however there are several factors that go into it:

1. the fighter
2. the instruction (this gets overlooked a lot)
3. style/crosstraining
4. application (are you training for sport, self-defense or both)

TO SILVER WOLF (and all other interested parties):
I was quick to get on your case concerning your criticism of Kung Fu. I understand and respect your point of view on the effectiveness of it. Please feel free to address any thoughts or possible misconceptions about Kung Fu with me. I cannot speak for all Kung Fu practioners or styles of Kung Fu. I am willing to share my personal experience and point of view.

Nightwing, what KF style do you do? i saw Gor Chor in your pro but im not familiar with that :/ ?

Originally posted by True2KungFu
Nightwing, what KF style do you do? i saw Gor Chor in your pro but im not familiar with that :/ ?

It's a southern chinese style also known as Five Ancestors Kung Fu. www.gorchor.us has some info on our late grandmaster and history of our system.

Hello to all.

I would like to add my perspective to this. First let me say that I am not a martial artist.

I think "street fighting" is often exaggerated, sometimes to the point of movies that have Kung Fu fighters floating in the air. I have been in a number of street fights, once as a teenager I even got knocked out for a few seconds from the punch under low visabilty I never saw coming. As an adult I have fought three men at once - themselves "street fighters" they would probably think of themselves, as they were gang members.

I wish not to engage in uncharitable exchanges here. One is free to disagree with me. But in all honesty I some times question to myself the experience someone has in fighting on the "streets" when they devalue martial arts and talk up the much said eye gouging, biting, bottles broken, knives pulled, ten friends jumping in, and the alluding to the grand skill of the "street fighter". The reason I say this, is not because none of these things never happen, but because I've found them to be less frequent occurances. In my experience most people and most thugs aren't that skilled of fighters. And when engaged in a fight chances are a knife most often will not be involved nor will broken bottles or the exotics like eye gouging. I've found that fights typicaly begin with not a kick or a bite or a bat or a knife but with a punch or flurry of punches. Typicaly I found they end the same way - sometimes standing, sometimes on the ground.

I can't of course speak for every city or village in the world. But in the United States of America this is what I have found.

Also many fist fights occur in America, most of them will never be reported on the news, most fist fights in America are not fights to the death. Albanian and Serb in war torn Kosovo now that's another story?

Also though I have never taken Mag Krava or other things people consider "street geared", may I offer a suggestion? In the question of what builds a good "street fighter" I would suggest it comes more from actually fighting in real life on the street then this or that class. Now I don't say that to diminish martial arts or Mag Krava. But to say that Mag Krava or Kung Fu or police tactics will make you know more aware of how to flow with the fight you are in, how to adapt to your opponent and fear, Brazilian Jujitsu. Actual fighting is a requirment to becoming a better fighter. However if you are a student of good martial arts, boxing, wrestling, police tactics. You are way a head of the average person. Granted the only time I ever have been "fish-hooked" has been by a gang member in a real fight, so yes some thugs will aquire good skills in fighting - like some that go to prison, but not all will.

The martial artist, with years in, and hard training, is ahead of the game.

Justin

P.S. - What's wrong with the respect shown and taught in dojos? They also teach you to break peoples arms - how respectful is that in a fight? Why can't one be a good fighter and a fairly respectful person at the same time? If I eat with my mouth open and spit food out at the same time does this help me be a better fighter?

Back