Kung Fu

I like Kung Fu myself,but when they put kungFu returns wiht grasshoppers son as a cop...i lost Interest...If the had a new series who shoud play david caridene? Im thinking Tony Danza, what do you all think...I love Kung fu it comes second to my tae-bo tapes!

The concepts and strategies behind striking techniques of kung fu and muay thai and any other stand up are in fact the same, however muay thai fighter's round kick and a boxer's jab are far more effective than that of a kung fu practionners. The reason being that a muay thai fighter might spend hours, days, weeks, years, perfecting his round kick, whereas in some kung fu classes might practise the round kick for an hour and then move on to other things like forms.

To touch on Silver Wolf's comment about surface hits, this is not entirely true. Some systems of kung fu do practise surface hits, however to say just plainly that in kung fu people do this is completely inaccurate. There are thousands of styles and substyles of kung fu. For example baji quan kung fu is majorly based on full power punches, to hit through one's target.

Contiunuing on, kung fu has never really produced world class fighters because aside from the Shaolin temple and maybe san shou camps, there are no kung fu camps where ppl train hours a day to fight in a ring, like there are muay thai camps in Thailand. So to state the obvious, a wing tsun school that operates 3 times a week giving one hour classes to adults will never produce the type of fighter a muay thai camp that operates 24 hours 7 days a week would.

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
conclusion: mastering kungfu is useless.

Bullshit. In that case mastering any style is useless. But to each his ownm.

Originally posted by nightwing_38116
Bullshit. In that case mastering any style is useless. But to each his ownm.

um...next time back up ur statements w/ statistics okay?

um...next time back up ur statements w/ statistics okay?

If you mean MMA stats then I'm out of luck. I'm not speaking in terms of a SPORT. My head instructor is has been in Kung fu for 25+ years and is a retired cop, ex maine, and does combat training for the FBI, police department, and U. S. special forces. If everything in the Kung Fu style I study were useless I doubt he'd swear by it like he does. I have applied the principals I've learned and they have served me well. I don't train for the UFC or any competion train for health and self defense and for the love of what I do.

My head instructor is has been in Kung fu for 25+ years and is a retired cop, ex maine, and does combat training for the FBI, police department, and U. S. special forces. If everything in the Kung Fu style I study were useless I doubt he'd swear by it like he does.

Big deal if he trains the FBI, police, and special forces. It's not like those guys are the best hand to hand fighters in the world. And there are people who swear by McDojo Karate and Kung Fu. What's your point?

http://members.tripod.com/~crane69/index6d.htm
jotun..look. then tell me kungfu uses the same strategies as MT. don't tell me its cuz MT train longer, cuz kungfu ppl train for hours too, yet it still loses to MT. conclusion: mastering kungfu is useless.

Interesting site BBNow, u know of any other reliable sites that detail style vs style match histories?.... I'm pretty interested.

Originally posted by Silver Wolf
Big deal if he trains the FBI, police, and special forces. It's not like those guys are the best hand to hand fighters in the world. And there are people who swear by McDojo Karate and Kung Fu. What's your point?

They may not be good sport fighters, but they protect your ass. Geez, you're funny.

Originally posted by CANADIANFIGHTCLUB
styles dont mean anything.

In the end, you're right. Styles don't mean shit on the street.

Originally posted by nightwing_38116
http://www.sanshou.org/docs/sanvthai.html

san shou doesn't count as kungfu. i think i mentioned this earlier (and it says so in that webpage link i had put). JUSt CUZ ITS A CHINESE MA DOESN'T MAKE IT KUNG FU!!! SAN SHOU CAME FROM DIFFERENT ORIGIN, DIFFERNT PHILOSOPHY, AND WINS.

origin: originated when kungfu sucks, but if it itself is kungfu, but it wins...then...well it woudlnt be logical.
philosphy: to be a serious chinese MA
wins: yes

Originally posted by Lightfoot
Interesting site BBNow, u know of any other reliable sites that detail style vs style match histories?.... I'm pretty interested.

well not reallyi foudn this site reently froma sherdog post. btw, this site isn't THAT reliable, theres always a chance this amateur site made this stuff up! rmember...geocities don'thave reliable resources. this one looks real tho. i htink everything is true in there.

san shou doesn't count as kungfu. i think i mentioned this earlier (and it says so in that webpage link i had put). JUSt CUZ ITS A CHINESE MA DOESN'T MAKE IT KUNG FU!!! SAN SHOU CAME FROM DIFFERENT ORIGIN, DIFFERNT PHILOSOPHY, AND WINS.

origin: originated when kungfu sucks, but if it itself is kungfu, but it wins...then...well it woudlnt be logical.
philosphy: to be a serious chinese MA
wins: yes

Oh excuse me oh wise martial arts master who knows all. We all know your knowledge of the history Kung Fu and all fighting arts is deep and true. You prove this by artfully providing facts to back up you wise claims. Thank you for gracing us lowly worms on this board and educating us all. The use of words such as "sucks" and your brilliant claim the Sanshou has no links to Kung Fu leaves me breathless. :rolleyes:

LOL, look I have studied the history and roots of Kung Fu extensively and have talked to several instructors and historians in my particular style of Kung Fu. Any retard can find a webpage to support his argument. When you actually study some Kung Fu or seriously talk to someone who has some expertise in the style, lemme know.

weee nightwing! you must be an auhority, huh?

for how long is 'extensively'? who did you talk to? Did you really study kung fu history? Where did you take that course? What sources do you have?

Does a guy whos started training at age 4 and trained under a guy living at a shaolin temple count as expertise?

hwo many years ur invovled in kungfu don't impress me. many ppl have done it 30 years , does it matter to me? the more you do kungfu, the more biased you are towards it.

people learn kungfu because they are brainwashed by the media and myths, nto cuz tis effectiveness. no one like kungfu because of statistics.

i didn't say san shou has no links. i said it does,sna shou was created cuz kungfu kept losing to MT, was it not? i just said san shou ISN"T kungfu due to its philosphy, goals, etc.
heck,does kungfu believe in competition? does kungfu believe forms are worthless? does kungfu suceed to prove itself? nope. san shou does. why do u say san sou is kung fu? what do they have in common?

tjat link u sent, says that san shou is struggling to survive popularity in china. i'm not suprised. traditional chinse people (who are the majority of china chinese) don't want to beleive this certain style, where u wait, think, KICK, punch straight, block, is an effective style. they like to see tiger punch, mantis flop, ape fist, panda butt.

One mor ething, japanese, chinese, (not sur eabout korea or any other palce) EXAGGERATE their history. u know mulan? she actually FLEW according to HISTORY books, not novels!! all the famous kungfu ppl flew and had amazing abilities in history books. and for the japanese, i rmember the aikido founder supposedly took down like 100 men. Bull thats impossible. not even guns can do that.

read that site i sent, the 3rd apge i believe. read that article about the two shoilin monks. its obvious they were bsing. ie "the MT guy punched the monk in the stomach and broke his own hand". if someoen stood in a stance where he exposes his stomach, and is ready to take a hit in the tummy, would an MT guy punch it . bull bull bull. i shoud knwo i'm an ABC. when chiense people are born or move here, they see their chinese cuzis and relatives as traditional, oen dimensional, narrow minded people.

Anyone who comes into a dojo looking to "challenge" the instructor is a fucking retard, and should (hopefully!) not represent the style as a whole.

Kung fu is keen, BJJ is also fantastic.
But everyone has their own unique "fighting style" regardless of which "martial art" that they train. The other people in my school and I all aproach the same fighting style in totally different ways.

It's the fighter not the style dude.

Originally posted by Mirada

It's the fighter not the style dude.

i always thought this. this is SOMEWHAT true. if the kungfu fighter does indeed have a fighting heart, then he woudl do reserach, quit and eventually turn to BJJ, MT, Wr, and anything similar. so...its kinda hard to define that statment.
i usually sya its STYLE and the FIGHTER(not 100% style, cuz u can do BJJ and still suck)

Back