KO power.

Urban, I didn't think that needed to be said out loud (since every equation we discuss expresses power). Besides, no need to pin all the mumbo jumbo on the other guys, that was me. The reason I assessed power from those different expressions was due to the roughly inverse relationship between acceleration and velocity during a punch (i.e. acceleration is greatest at the beginning of a punch; velocity is greatest at the end).

*EDIT* Ignore this second part. I thought Urban's simplification of the power expression into scalar quantities was incorrect. I was mistaken. Ooh la la.

Madmick said:
The reason I assessed power from those different expressions was due to the roughly inverse relationship between acceleration and velocity during a punch (i.e. acceleration is greatest at the beginning of a punch; velocity is greatest at the end).
as much as I hate to perpetuate this conversation, I think that it's clear velocity is greatest at the end (the result of acceleration over time), but it's also possible that acceleration as increased during the punch as well isn't it?

Urban said:
as much as I hate to perpetuate this conversation, I think that it's clear velocity is greatest at the end (the result of acceleration over time), but it's also possible that acceleration as increased during the punch as well isn't it?
Yes, and probably so during lockout, but greater than at the beginning? Highly unlikely.

you're probably right now that I think about it. Going from nothing to something is a tremendous and sudden increase in accelleration which probably won't be matched at the end. But barring the very beginning and the very end of the strike, it's not SO unlikely is it?

Urban said:
you're probably right now that I think about it. Going from nothing to something is a tremendous and sudden increase in accelleration which probably won't be matched at the end. But barring the very beginning and the very end of the strike, it's not SO unlikely is it?

No, it's not unlikely.

In fact, the more I thought about this, the more I realized how difficult it would be to maintain or increase acceleration at the beginning of a punch, especially because that's where leverage is poorest.

I think the point of confusion here was due to the fact that acceleration can be either a scalar or vector quantity depending on whether it is derived from distance or displacement.

I know all the technical language can suck the joy out these ideas, but it can also breathe life into them for me if I really focus on the concepts, not the language. For example, I too often fall into the habit of thinking that equal lifts by powerlifters reflects equal "strength", but being lazy, I am not concrete in my own head as to what "strength" really means. Because in reality, the force will differ depending on the distance the weight is moved. A powerlifter may lose a competition even though he is capable of producing the most force.

Another example: I too often think of the terms of physics as separate. I see "P=FV" and I think of force and velocity as being independent, but in reality, physics doesn't work like that at all. If something is moving, it is carrying energy. Velocity is force. Force is velocity. Nothing in the universe is truly mass-less, so thinking in those terms is counter-intuitive. This can be useful for the math- for the proofs- but it has never seemed a coincidence to me that most of the greatest physicists were actually mediocre mathematicians. They wouldn't get caught up thinking in numbers. From what I've read of string theory, maybe that won't be possible anymore, but...the next time you use string theory to plan your workout, bring that up.

No physics here, just go like 90 second rounds (or longer if you want) with the heavy bag where you give max effort and punch as hard as you can. Also try explosive push-ups where you actually leave the ground at the top each rep.

Yeah, great response Senor Douchebag...H.S. physics too much for ya, eh?

...besides, KO power comes more from accuracy, punching technique (i.e. A. Silva, Iceman) and twisting the wrist at the end of impact (i.e. Ali), and counterpunching well/catching your opponent as they are coming forward/leaving their guard down (i.e. Gomi, Hendo)...a certain amount of "physics" is involved as far as mass (of arms/forearms/fists) and speed of swing (muscular strength), as in the case of Wandy and big guys that swing with a lot of force, i.e. Sylvia, Rothwell, Fujita, etc.

...see? It isn't that hard to post something at least a bit worthwhile, rather than a bunch of ????? to boost your post count...

I know some douchebag revived this shit but I do have the equation everyone was looking for, after reading the first two pages I went to find my book with it, and came back to realize that its a dead thread but this douchebag will not have wasted my time. It is:

Power=1/2MV^2

^2=squared since I dont know how to right it on a keyboard :p.

This equation shows why speed is so important. For example, if mass is increased by a factor of 3 and speed remains constant the power increases by a factor of three, if the speed increases by a factor of 3 and mass remains constant the power is increased by the power of 9. That is why speed is deemed more important.

Source:

Phap Lu's Taekwon-Do Dojang textbook. Got this thing when I was like 10 :p, he takes the information from the Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do written by ITF founder Choi Hong Hi(sadly, now deceased).

I e - mailed George Foreman years ago and he wrote hitting a tire with a sledge hammer is a good exercise to punch harder.

I personaly start to punch harder by improving my technique. I also improved my punching power by hitting the heavybag alot with full speed and full power ( with good technique of course ).

so he should do

Well, I am glad this thread came back up.

It was a great read.

(Even if it did get a cheap bump)

Back