Media Khabib Nurmagomedov turned 35-years-old today

Lightweight-GOAT?

• Total voters
Which is fine but I doubt we'll see anyone come close to having a record like that anytime soon. He fought the competition he fought while he was in Russia and when he finally made it into the UFC, most of the competitors fell the same way and those that made it to the decision were on the losing end of the scorecards.
Close to what record? 13-0? With questionable decision, weigh in shenanigans regularly, winning belt from #11, three defenses? That’s your bar?

Guys with intermittent cans would be on blast, this guy has more cans than legit wins. Is pretty unreal when you take the fanboy glasses off.

Great fighter, lots of potential, too many what ifs.

LW Goat? ABSOLUTELY
All this forum cares about is stats like title defences, so Islam will be LW GOAT very soon

Great fighter, lots of potential, too many what ifs.
See, that's where we see things differently. We both saw the potential in an already great fighter. You think he should've stuck around more and that's fine. I wanted him to as well but I saw what he was already doing to everyone in the UFC and go ahead and say it's fanboyism, but I think he's the GOAT at 155. Can someone come and break and make records that surpass Khabib? Absolutely but until that happens, he's at the top.

Khabib is just…. a waste man. It’s truly a damn shame.

It’s sad what happened to his Dad and after watching a documentary on his Dads coaching, I started to think that perhaps without his Dad Khabib has no driving force to fight, he simply won’t be the same without his father as a fighter or a man and in their lives both of those things are mutually exclusive.
Can’t believe it’s been that long since the Gaetje fight, at 35 he pretty much has given his prime away at this point and the frustrating part is Khabib has left us with more questions then answers and it may be too late anyway.

See, that's where we see things differently. We both saw the potential in an already great fighter. You think he should've stuck around more and that's fine. I wanted him to as well but I saw what he was already doing to everyone in the UFC and go ahead and say it's fanboyism, but I think he's the GOAT at 155. Can someone come and break and make records that surpass Khabib? Absolutely but until that happens, he's at the top.

Agree to disagree. Good points though.

35... that's like 65 in fight years. See you in the funny papers, he's pretty much done.
He’s Russian too. Their life expectancy is 38. He had a decent run but the end is nigh for our khablob. Rest in piece sausage link

Undefeated. Undisputed. Never knocked down. Never bled.

The true GOAT.

Allahu akbar
Undefeated fighting small guys, son.
And he needed to weight cut to do it, and retired way too early.
Still he was among the best ever for the light weight division no doubt.
But true warriors fight any weight class.
DzvhdTePqB4.jpg

The LW division has always been deep. No champion has ever been able to defend the belt more than 3 times. Khabib is tied but with 3 other fighters. Could he broke that record? Probably but he never did.

He definitely deserves the debate but we’ll never know how long he could have went and how his downfall could have been if he had one even.

To all the people who voted no:

Who are you saying is the LW GOAT?

I'm not a fan but he pretty much has to be. Everyone that has a comparable resume has a bunch of losses.

We are talking about LW.

LW.

who is the greatest at LW??

"ohh well the guy moved up and did this and that"

"he fought machida bro"

"For some reason i wont bring up FW,which using the same logic,has NO BEARING on his LW greatness!"
You'll never get them to stop lol. I'm a huge Penn fan but winning the ww belt and fighting other larger men doesn't make you the lw goat.

That doesn't make sense and never will.

You'll never get them to stop lol. I'm a huge Penn fan but winning the ww belt and fighting other larger men doesn't make you the lw goat.

That doesn't make sense and never will.
right, but penn does share the record for most title defenses at LW with khabib. and in his prime, he did look incredibly impressive at 155.

it's a matter of preference, really.

right, but penn does share the record for most title defenses at LW with khabib. and in his prime, he did look incredibly impressive at 155.

it's a matter of preference, really.
Like I said I'm a big fan, but if we're being objective there's just no way. BJ stayed around too long, took too many brutal losses. I wish he hadn't.

Reactions: HHJ
Happy bday to one of the best to do it at lw.. would have loved to see a few more fights, but nothing but respect for doing what he set out to do and retiring on his terms.

Like I said I'm a big fan, but if we're being objective there's just no way. BJ stayed around too long, took too many brutal losses. I wish he hadn't.
but that's not a fair piece of criteria when assessing someone's greatness.

had penn retired after the sanchez fight, would his accomplishments be greater than they are now? the performances he had that made him great don't get erased by all the beatings he took when he grew old.

i guess i just can't agree with the idea that knowing when to call it quits is also one of the measures of a fighter's greatness.

bj-penn.gif

I think he retired too early. Everybody loses if you fight long enough. I think Khabib knew this. He only fought in UFC 13 times and should have lost to Tibau.
everybody knows that
everybody can be a bj penn type challenging bigger men in other weightclass
but loses almost all of them
so if khabib aint the lw goat is it bj pen whos loses 1 in ever 3 fights in his prime?
im not a fan of khabib but clearly he is the lw goat
but he aint in the conversation even as top 10 all time goat imo

but that's not a fair piece of criteria when assessing someone's greatness.

had penn retired after the sanchez fight, would his accomplishments be greater than they are now? the performances he had that made him great don't get erased by all the beatings he took when he grew old.

i guess i just can't agree with the idea that knowing when to call it quits is also one of the measures of a fighter's greatness.
Well I certainly get where you're coming from. I think Khabib retired too early, and is propped up way too much on being undefeated. He barely fought anyone. But with BJ it isn't just that he hung on too long and took some losses. Many guys have a losing streak near the end of their career.

But going on one of the worst losing streaks of all time? That damages your legacy. I disagreed with it for the longest time and still do to a degree. But seeing the way people talk about Penn now there's no denying it. It's the same way with Chuck. Took such brutal damage near the end that's pretty much all anyone talks about when his name comes up anymore.

Back