* Kevin Kearns writing for new site * - S & C coach

MMA Training

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just to let you know Kevin Kearns will be writing for our website once or twice a week from now on. He's one of the top strength and conditioning coaches in the world and works with Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Stephan Bonnar and more.

Check back every few days to see more from Kevin. Sign up for the newsletter to get more.

Here's his first submission

Push And Pull: An essential pillar of human strength : MMA Articles : MMATraining.com

What I am saying is let's incorporate some more "real world" strength and activate more muscles.

fitness-push-pull-2.jpg

fitness-push-pull-1.jpg
failhp-4.jpg

I'm not going to say Kevin Kerns doesn't know his shit... cause... well I don't know who the fuck he is to be honest, but seriously? one handed presses and rows on a stability ball?

you're worrying about running out of food when your ship is sinking.

I'm not going to say Kevin Kerns doesn't know his shit... cause... well I don't know who the fuck he is to be honest, but seriously? one handed presses and rows on a stability ball?

you're worrying about running out of food when your ship is sinking.

I see alot of S&C coaches doing this with fighters now, or athletes in general, its just good for overall functional strength

Fitness First personal trainers do it with their clients, so it must be extremely functional.

push/pull is usually focused on in the gym with bench pressing and lat pull downs, which are very good exercises. To activate more muscle we utilize a stability ball for 2 classic moves, the chest press and the one arm row.

All of my fighters love these two movements for the simple reason that a feel a lot of other muscles working at once. The other reason they enjoy them is it "feels like something [they] will use in a fight." That being said, a single arm chest press on a stability ball will bring you to a whole new level understanding muscular activation. The one arm row with stability will make you realize how "knee in the stomach" position feels for the person on the bottom and the top.

D'oh

I dont see why the stability ball makes it more functional or relevant to fighters. Also, the article is poorly written and lacks detail. Even if his methods were good, he does a shit job of convincing people.

This training is very functional, everyone knows fights take place on huge stability balls.

hang on, I know and agree with where this guy is coming from. Last year I was assaulted by a mugger who came at me with a loaded bosu ball and because of my years of chest press and one arm rows on the stability ball, I was able to thwart his attacks and once I had him on the ground, I finished him off with a couple of blows from the BullworkerII that I carry when I am out in public.

hang on, I know and agree with where this guy is coming from. Last year I was assaulted by a mugger who came at me with a loaded bosu ball and because of my years of chest press and one arm rows on the stability ball, I was able to thwart his attacks and once I had him on the ground, I finished him off with a couple of blows from the BullworkerII that I carry when I am out in public.

I'm impressed that your stability ball training carried over to bosu ball situations.

Ok. Hang on here.

Kearns is the S & C coach for Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Bonnar, Cote etc.

He works with the top guys. After every fight Kenny says something like "blah blah.. I finish fights.. I'm in good shape thanks to Kevin Kearns"...

How is he being bashed on here? The article isn't long... just a small piece of the puzzle..

Ya. The guy is wearing TapOut. That's Alex Karalexis.. another fairly well known guy..

You guys don't know what you're talking about..

Yeah we do. The advice he's giving is not good. Fortunately strength is just a small part of being a good fighter.

Yeah, that Wassung doesn't know the first thing about strength training. Karalexis however is another story, that guy is an S&P legend.

Ok. Hang on here.

Kearns is the S & C coach for Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Bonnar, Cote etc.

He works with the top guys. After every fight Kenny says something like "blah blah.. I finish fights.. I'm in good shape thanks to Kevin Kearns"...

How is he being bashed on here? The article isn't long... just a small piece of the puzzle..

Ya. The guy is wearing TapOut. That's Alex Karalexis.. another fairly well known guy..

Im sure he is a good coach, but the article he posted sucks.

Training on an unstable surface is supposed to activate more muscles and incorporate balance. That is its basic purpose. Thing is...this unstable surface also makes it dangerous and will cut down the weight you could do on a stable surface, such as a bench, significantly. So, the question must be raised: Is it ever better to add more balance and stabilizer muscles into the lift at the expense of weight?

No, it's not.

I could imagine that thet one arm chestpress on this ball could be iusefull movement if incorporated from time to time. But this one arm row just seems like complete bullshit to me. Why not do them like a BOrow without anything to help you stabilze?

Back