* Kevin Kearns writing for new site * - S & C coach

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmuU7VNK_UY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmuU7VNK_UY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3 and a half minute? what the hell?

Reminds me of little spazzy cats/kittens you would see at the shelter.

You know it's this type of ignorant close-minded bullshit that aggrevates me. Has it occured to you he might be training for the circus and doesn't want to tear an ACL while juggling 3 small tricycles while balancing one-legged on an elephant? Why don't you think before you open your mought :D

I need to open my mind more, I'm a close minded prick. I=fail.

i really don't want to get in trouble for any percieved fighter bashing, this isn't my intent at all; but when i think about functionally strong MMA fighters, Kenny Florian and Stephan Bonner aren't the first two to come to mind.

Kenny went from having 0 muscle tone on TUF 1, like absolutely none. Now he looks like he's a decently muscled 155 lbs and he's got great cardio.

Bonnar is sort of fat, but he's always been a bit fat.

^ thats because he was way over weight to make the show...

Congratulations on your mstery of the search function.

Bwahaha this calls for a :

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Kenny went from having 0 muscle tone on TUF 1, like absolutely none. Now he looks like he's a decently muscled 155 lbs and he's got great cardio.

Bonnar is sort of fat, but he's always been a bit fat.

I am curious of your affiliation with mmatraining.com? All the articles you link in posts are from that site as is Kearns. Are you just that into the site or are you some sort of marketing widget troll?

Any chance of getting Burn With Kearns on here sometime? Could be great fun.

Alright this shit is pretty funny after looking it at for a minute.

0608-UFCII-BALL-SPRAWL-1.jpg

0608-UFCII-BALL-SPRAWL-2.jpg

I think he revolutionized sprawl training.

Um i havent followed the entire thread but i did read the article and to me it seems the obivious escapes this Kearns guy and he is overcompilcating something real simple.Why not just use one armed or weighted pushups, add a pull up bar or maybe a set of gymastic rings and train his athletes to do muscle ups? Wouldnt that be alot easier and more effective than treating world class fighters like they had just walked into planet fitness or a ballys?

Stabilizer recruitment is also load dependent, not just movement pattern dependent, people in the functional training world always seem to miss that point. This means that the stabilizers have to work ten times harder doing a 500lb squat than they will ever work doing a 135lb squat on a bosu ball. What is actually happening in unstable surface training is the ankle joint is getting a great workout and the body is learning the muscular coordination to not fall over, other than that there is not enough overload to develop any real strength.

A few years ago a PhD student friend of mine did some research with JC Santana because JC believed that if you added up all the force of each joint in a single arm cable pulley press it would actually be higher than the force generated during a standard bench press. This is the argument the functional training crowd uses a lot of the time to justify unstable surface training, that more muscle is actually recruited because of the instabilty. The result of the research was that a standing one arm cable pulley press produces less than 1/6 of the total force generated during a standard bench press!

These types of functional training methods completely miss the point of what specificity really means and do not generally provide enough overload to cause any real adaptation. The only thing that really happens is the athletes learns the motor program and is more coordinated in that specific movement, but there is very little to no transfer.

I want to sleep with this post. And maaaaybe the poster.

I'll buy dinner first, though.

No it's not that article you linked to and it wasn't from his book. It's from one of the NSCA's Strength & Conditioning Journals. It looks like he changed the name to "Functional Training Revisited" but he gave me a copy before it was published and it had a different title.

I found .pdfs of both of these if anyone is still interested.

I hate reading threads only to discover they're a year old.

Why? Does the information go out of date? It gets mould?

Sometimes, yes. From my experience, especially in D&S. Also, it screws with my mind. Daemonarch was saying stuff like "Okay this place is funny I guess I'm here to stay!" when he's been around for as long as I can remember.

Back