* Kevin Kearns writing for new site * - S & C coach

Is anyone here an S & C coach?

The guy is one of the best in the world. For the guy who said you should lift more weight and use a stable bench - why would you want to do that?

You want to be able to train your core at the same time. Not just your chest.

The idea here is you're A LOT of muscle groups at the same time. If you use a stable space you only use a few.

The guy is one of the best in the world. For the guy who said you should lift more weight and use a stable bench - why would you want to do that?

The idea here is you're A LOT of muscle groups at the same time. If you use a stable space you only use a few.

Try benching 400lbs. using only your chest.

* cough, cough *

* strawman argument *

Dude - arguments from nutthuggery and strawman are not impressive.

No one here disagrees with you that (1) you ought to use more than one muscle group; and (2) you ought to use your core when lifting. The point is that the ghey balls do a poor job given other alternatives.

I once did overheadsquats and I still can't think of a muscle I didn't use doing those. I did them on a stable surface so the weight I could use was heavy enough that the muscle didn't only get used but even worked.
If only I owned a bosuball...

Ok. I can't win here.

I'm not sure the guy is saying "hey idiots.. only use the stability ball.. all day.. every exercise"..

He's just giving alternatives it sounds like..

For the guy who did overhead squats.. I forget at the end of the article it says "PS. Never ever do overhead squats.."..

gabriel_lulz.jpg

so he is a certified coach and we should all follow him without questioning?? and what muscle groups and strenght you are reffering to - the guy in that pic uses like 10 kg DBells...

lifting on unstable surfaces is beyond stupid. I realy dont see any other point in that than beging for injury....sooner or later

"funcional" strenght ? yeah sure - be double suspicious everytime someone speaks of it...

Ok. I can't win here.

I'm not sure the guy is saying "hey idiots.. only use the stability ball.. all day.. every exercise"..

He's just giving alternatives it sounds like..

For the guy who did overhead squats.. I forget at the end of the article it says "PS. Never ever do overhead squats.."..

Fair enough - it just happens to be that his alternative sucks ass.

so he is a certified coach and we should all follow him without questioning?? and what muscle groups and strenght you are reffering to - the guy in that pic uses like 10 kg DBells...

lifting on unstable surfaces is beyond stupid. I realy dont see any other point in that than beging for injury....sooner or later

"funcional" strenght ? yeah sure - be double suspicious everytime someone speaks of it...

No. Question him. I see no issue with that.

But it sounds like what he has done with the guys he has worked with has been pretty good.

Randy couture does all the stability ball stuff too..

But it sounds like what he has done with the guys he has worked with has been pretty good.

Jay Cutler is 10x bigger than me...I should train like him!

Oh wait...

So should I start deadliftting and squatting on a bosu muscle to make sure I use my core?

See. What nice of a person I am. I reminded you of something you forgot. You are welcome.

Now go brush your teeth!

Randy Couture does a shit load of basic strenght routine first and foremost, Im pretty sure...but you will always have people come with some more or less crazy stuff...and some will try it and some wont...Im sorry but Im not the least interested in that UST,a and mind you - you can be both strong and good fighter without using those balls

Stability balls can be useful and no one is saying this guy is a bad coach - but the article sucked. Its about 400 words, 200 of them are saying Ken Shamrock's coach is shit and the rest are telling us to do bench press and rows...on a ball. Its nothing I havent seen before, theres no detail or reason why I should do this either. The idea that the stability ball uses more muscles is probably wrong too, it uses the same amount of muscles but requires more core stabilization which leads to using less weight. When you bench press on a flat bench with proper technique, you still use your core, upper back and legs ask anyone who has benched a significant amount of weight and they will agree.

Go to the conditioning boards and look up EZA's posts, hes a MMA S&C coach too when he first came on some people didnt like his ideas but notice all his posts are backed by actual detail and knowledge not just the notion that he trains famous fighters.

Stabilizer recruitment is also load dependent, not just movement pattern dependent, people in the functional training world always seem to miss that point. This means that the stabilizers have to work ten times harder doing a 500lb squat than they will ever work doing a 135lb squat on a bosu ball. What is actually happening in unstable surface training is the ankle joint is getting a great workout and the body is learning the muscular coordination to not fall over, other than that there is not enough overload to develop any real strength.

A few years ago a PhD student friend of mine did some research with JC Santana because JC believed that if you added up all the force of each joint in a single arm cable pulley press it would actually be higher than the force generated during a standard bench press. This is the argument the functional training crowd uses a lot of the time to justify unstable surface training, that more muscle is actually recruited because of the instabilty. The result of the research was that a standing one arm cable pulley press produces less than 1/6 of the total force generated during a standard bench press!

These types of functional training methods completely miss the point of what specificity really means and do not generally provide enough overload to cause any real adaptation. The only thing that really happens is the athletes learns the motor program and is more coordinated in that specific movement, but there is very little to no transfer.

This lends itself to the Burn with Kearns philosophy of More Fitness, Less Time, and Better Results.

I'm starting my Burn with Kearns program for the squat contest tomorrow!

Back