Karate blackbelts in MMA

Which is why "Karate" is a meaningless, generic term. Kinda like how "Chinese Boxing" can mean Boxing, Kickboxing or Kung FU and various styles of those systems.
posts like this make me wonder why the mods don't just take away your ability to make posts.

posts like this make me wonder why the mods don't just take away your ability to make posts.
I was so curious, I unblocked spacetime to check if it was him you're quoting... yep, it was him. Back to the ignore list, spaceboy. :D

What does Kudo, Wado-Ryu and Kyokushin have in common besides a white gi? "I do Karate" is a literally meaningless statement.

What does Kudo, Wado-Ryu and Kyokushin have in common besides a white gi? "I do Karate" is a literally meaningless statement.
Less meaningless than“I box”
Maybe try googling the styles in question...but you’re just a troll so not expecting that

(re-post after editing media)
I often get responses like "that's not really Karate! It does not look like Karate! Karate is only what Machida does".

Well, that is simply not true. Karate styles are varied, they look different and are trained differently. I have prepared a simplified comparison of the most popular styles below:
View media item 32385

Last edited:
(re-post after editing media)
I often get responses like "that's not really Karate! It does not look like Karate! Karate is only what Machida does".

Well, that is simply not true. Karate styles are varied, they look different and are trained differently. I have prepared a simplified comparison of the most popular styles below:
View media item 32385

what does the "contact" level refer to? is that how they train (light/hard sparring)? thanks,

what does the "contact" level refer to? is that how they train (light/hard sparring)? thanks,
Yes, sparring and competition.

Light contact usually means point kumite, while hard contact means knockdown rules (full contact but no head punches), though there are some notable exceptions:

- Kudo is hard contact with head punches but in helmets
- Goju does both "hard" knockdown (Go) and "soft" sparring (Ju)
- Shidokan does 3 separate rule sets: knockdown / MT rules / grappling only (sometimes described as the "Triathlon of Martial arts")

I opted for "hard" and "light" in the table to make it easier to differentiate, without putting in too many details and lengthy descriptions.

Last edited:
Man, I didn't know there were so many Karatekas in the world of MMA o_O

Man, I didn't know there were so many Karatekas in the world of MMA o_O
Yeah, ya'll duck & covered when my post of how what seems hard to get work in traditional like martial arts... there's great evidence of it working. And against Aikido-killing brutes.[<cena1}

I know the styles, they are not even remotely similar to each other.
then apparently you don't know the styles...especially because 90% or more of the karate styles are variations or off shoots of 4 core styles...

NEW FIGHTER ADDED !!!

NAME: Andrea Lee
AKA: KGB
STYLE: Kyokushin
RECORD: 11-4
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Lee_(fighter)
She's a doll too! :D

Lee's moniker, KGB, was given by her coach as he thought she looked like a Russian. On one occasion at the Muay Thai World Championships, where Lee secured a victory, the entire Russian team approached her to have pictures taken due to the "KGB" patch on her trunks. :D

At Invicta 9, you walked out to Dio’s “Holy Diver.” Why did you choose that song?
“Holy Diver” was one of the first songs that me and my husband listened to when we were working out together. I like Dio, and “Holy Diver” is one of my favorite rock songs. Not to mention, it’s real music. Today, it’s not quite that good.

I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on that song. It’s crazy. I didn’t expect that kind of feedback. It’s weird. I like it, though.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/andrea-kgb-lee-talks-roxanne-modafferi-darkwing-duck-and-dio

That's super cool, I love Dio. :)

Last edited:
NEW FIGHTER ADDED !!!

NAME: Andrea Lee
AKA: KGB
STYLE: Kyokushin
RECORD: 11-4
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Lee_(fighter)
She's a doll too! :D

Lee's moniker, KGB, was given by her coach as he thought she looked like a Russian. On one occasion at the Muay Thai World Championships, where Lee secured a victory, the entire Russian team approached her to have pictures taken due to the "KGB" patch on her trunks. :D

At Invicta 9, you walked out to Dio’s “Holy Diver.” Why did you choose that song?
“Holy Diver” was one of the first songs that me and my husband listened to when we were working out together. I like Dio, and “Holy Diver” is one of my favorite rock songs. Not to mention, it’s real music. Today, it’s not quite that good.

I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on that song. It’s crazy. I didn’t expect that kind of feedback. It’s weird. I like it, though.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/andrea-kgb-lee-talks-roxanne-modafferi-darkwing-duck-and-dio

That's super cool, I love Dio. :)

<{boisedyme}>Most of the Fightland article talks about music....

I missed this interview in 2017 but here you go:

Henry Cejudo Credits Karate Training For UFC 215 Win

Thanks man, Dio rules.

I agree that only a few guys from this list have that "traditional" Karate image most people are familiar with but then again if You look at K-1 half of the people there come from Kyokushin and nobody ever complains. :p Kyokushin and other knockdown / full-contact styles end up looking like custom kickboxing when used in the ring / cage. Kudo looks like MMA from the get-go, so do some other hybrid styles. So it's not always obvious if a fighter is actually "using" his Karate or not.

shinkyoku made a great thread on different Karate styles a while back:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/so-you-think-you-know-all-about-karate.2263005/

I was a big fan of k1 watched almost every if not every event. Lets be honest, other than a few outliers most successful karate guys in k1 adopted basick kickboxing styles. Yes there is the occasional andy hung/stan the man/ glaube feitosa but most became kickboxers and fought like kickboxers. Also, its no coincidence that of all karate styles kyokushin was the most kickboxing ish karate.

Back