• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Kaitlin Clark accused of having "white" and "pretty" privilege

Since it seems a lot of people obviously have no idea what's happening here until some political pundit told them to pay attention, here is the genesis of the issue:

you-cant-see-me-lsu-iowa.jpg

Both players used the same "You can't see me" gesture. But when the player on the left did, the media promoted it as toughness and competitiveness. But when the player on the right did it to the player on the left, members of the media attacked the player on the right and her team as going too far.

That's where the whole thing comes from.
false. Even the opposing players have backed up caitlyn clarks claim that she never did the hand gesture towards any opponents, it was done directly at her strength and conditioning coach on the sideline. Angel Reese on the other hand did it to her opponents face after winning.

Since it seems a lot of people obviously have no idea what's happening here until some political pundit told them to pay attention, here is the genesis of the issue:

you-cant-see-me-lsu-iowa.jpg

Both players used the same "You can't see me" gesture. But when the player on the left did, the media promoted it as toughness and competitiveness. But when the player on the right did it to the player on the left, members of the media attacked the player on the right and her team as going too far.

That's where the whole thing comes from.
Clark did that gesture every game, impersonal in nature, like Ronaldo's 'siu'. Reese mocked it, which is directed personally at Clark. So it is fundamentally different and inherently antagonistic.

But that's nothing compared to the taunting that goes on in the men's game. Reese was held to a different standard there, unfairly. How many times we see a 'rock the baby', 'too short' or finger wag taunts in the NBA. Part of the fun.

More an issue of sexism than racism. From what I understand both Clark and Reese were fine with it . The pearl clutching and paternalism came from the media.

That's not what the CC thing is about though. The issue that underpins is that, to some people, she's not good enough to warrant the attention that she's getting. And that there are more talented female college players and definitely WNBA players who the media are ignoring. And they're being ignored because CC is more marketable. And, let's not bs ourselves, part of why she's more marketable is because she matches the largest potential consumer demographic in the country.

They're right and they're wrong.

IMO, CC deserves attention because she's really good and she's got the college scoring record to prove it. But she's not the first really talented female player to come out in recent years and, in terms of accomplishments, CC hasn't done as much winning as others have. However, the college media space definitely pitted her image as a decent looking and talented white basketball player vs. the image of the LSU team from last year that was predominantly black and, in particular, juxtaposed her vs. Angel Reese.

That's where the whole "It's because she's white..." thing started. College media used less flattering language to describe the LSU team, sometimes even implying negative things about them while glorifying CC. After LSU beat CC's team, the media again criticized the LSU players for un-ladylike conduct while ignoring that CC is an avid trash talker herself.

The good vs. evil imagery that the media was utilizing is why CC is catching the backlash that she's getting.

She didn't create it but she's definitely benefitting from it when it comes to marketing. And for the black women, in college and in the WNBA, being used as the evil foil to Caitlin Clark's ascendancy strikes them as unfair.

Angel Reese is a clown lol.
That's why I said "IMO, CC deserves attention because she's really good and she's got the college scoring record to prove it."

She's got the record and she's a great player. But the flip side is that she's never won anything. And top end players, like Breanna Stewart, who is white has said that it matters. So, if the players who are winning aren't getting the attention like the players who aren't winning then there's going to be some bad feelings there.

I don't know if you watched Davidson back when Steph Curry was there. He was cooking the other teams. But they never won anything. So while people praised his individual talent, he wasn't elevated to another level just because of it.

Women's basketball has a way to go before they can find the balance. However, they do need a Caitlin Clark if they want to increase their marketability. She's relatable and that makes her marketable. Plus every sport needs a person/team to love/hate so they can craft storylines around them.

I mean this argument is still kinda crazy. Wemby is easily a more popular player than Tyrese Haliburton who is in the conference finals lol. Winning doesn't mean shit in terms of popularity. It helps, but it isn't the be all end all. Lamelo Ball is crazy popular despite playing for a shit tier franchise and always being hurt lol.

Curry isn't really a good comp to CC Clark either. Curry's first tournament run came from out of nowhere. Nobody knew who he was. Then he stuck around for his junior year and Davidson was a fringe top 25 team all year. Like yea, he got more famous, but it wasn't crazy or anything..he also played at Davidson and played against bums mostly.

CC was on one of the best teams in the country and put up crazy stats consistently. Shes probably more like Trae Young than Steph Curry. Trae Young basically turned down Kentucky and playing on a stacked team so he could go to Oklahoma and dominate every possession. Worked out pretty well for him. They obviously didn't have the same success as Iowa Women's basketball, but Trae Young had a pretty decent sized built in fan base when he came into the league. ESPN sucked off Trae Young like no other that year too. That part of it was missing with Steph. The media coverage just wasn't like that when he played at Davidson.

CC is popular on merit of her gameplay. It’s because she was doing next level stuff and setting all kinds of records. Her popularity is viral just like anything else these days. But it was because of her basketball ability solely. Not because she was doing unnecessary stuff for attention. It was her highlights strictly.

Reese is toxic af and needs to get attention in “other” ways. (Drama and sexualizing herself). Seems like Reese has some rabid followers on social media but that isn’t translating nearly as well to the game itself.

Skill wise it’s like comparing Steph Curry and Dennis Rodman. Reese lacks skills and has no mid range game or shot to speak of. But she plays hard and is a good rebounder. Her skill is her intensity she’s otherwise sloppy as hell, a foul merchant and often gets her own rebounds after she bricks shot after shot under the hoop. She cherry picks quite a bit and gets layups. Shes never the best player on her team (college or WNBA).

IMO Reese is better at getting clicks on social media by starting shit (even with her own teammates) or (doing a-typical influencer pick me girl shit).

Clark genuinely has people who want to watch her on basketball merit alone. She’s literally setting every imaginable record (ratings, tickets) imaginable. She sells out every road game she plays in. She’s getting NBA live crowds and TV ratings.

It’s funny that the people creating identity and “support your own this and that” types are mad when a majority supports their own. The WNBA isn’t getting anywhere with black and LGBTQ fans as the main demographic. The white fanbase (it’s not just white either) but CC is bringing in a large white demographic and now everyone is upset (despite it being a massive benefit to the league).

Also as someone who loves black women (married to one) I don’t find Reese all that attractive (great body). Shes high maintenance af and not naturally attractive. Shes a muppet, glued on lashes, contacts, makeup (to make her face look refined) and blush (weird for a black chick to have rosy cheeks), wigs, extensions, fake hair colors and just basically artificial af. Don’t know why anyone would categorize her with Camron Brink or even HVL who have all these things naturally. They aren’t just weird looking default face that needs all these Mrs Potato head attachments or enhancements to look feminine or pretty.

Last edited:
Clark did that gesture every game, impersonal in nature, like Ronaldo's 'siu'. Reese mocked it, which is directed personally at Clark. So it is fundamentally different and inherently antagonistic.

But that's nothing compared to the taunting that goes on in the men's game. Reese was held to a different standard there, unfairly. How many times we see a 'rock the baby', 'too short' or finger wag taunts in the NBA. Part of the fun.

More an issue of sexism than racism. From what I understand both Clark and Reese were fine with it . The pearl clutching and paternalism came from the media.
Yeah, that's a pretty stupid "controversy". Who cares if either one were taunting players? Hell, the WNBA should encourage those kind of antics and create some friction. People might actually tune in for the personal rivalries, 'cause they sure as hell aren't tuning in to watch the product on the floor. Make it a circus and have some fun with it.

Shit, even though people are rightfully pushing back on the hollow criticism of Clark, it's getting the league attention. Lean into that trashy shit.

That's not what the CC thing is about though. The issue that underpins is that, to some people, she's not good enough to warrant the attention that she's getting. And that there are more talented female college players and definitely WNBA players who the media are ignoring. And they're being ignored because CC is more marketable. And, let's not bs ourselves, part of why she's more marketable is because she matches the largest potential consumer demographic in the country.

They're right and they're wrong.

IMO, CC deserves attention because she's really good and she's got the college scoring record to prove it. But she's not the first really talented female player to come out in recent years and, in terms of accomplishments, CC hasn't done as much winning as others have. However, the college media space definitely pitted her image as a decent looking and talented white basketball player vs. the image of the LSU team from last year that was predominantly black and, in particular, juxtaposed her vs. Angel Reese.

That's where the whole "It's because she's white..." thing started. College media used less flattering language to describe the LSU team, sometimes even implying negative things about them while glorifying CC. After LSU beat CC's team, the media again criticized the LSU players for un-ladylike conduct while ignoring that CC is an avid trash talker herself.

The good vs. evil imagery that the media was utilizing is why CC is catching the backlash that she's getting.

She didn't create it but she's definitely benefitting from it when it comes to marketing. And for the black women, in college and in the WNBA, being used as the evil foil to Caitlin Clark's ascendancy strikes them as unfair.
CC is the best female collegiate player ever, by a decent margin. She's basically KAJ without the rings.

Reese's antics, post-game, and the fact that they were both returning, basically doubled the hype. Reese acting like a sore winner was unintentionally a great thing for women's college hoops.

There is a clear distinction from CC doing the Cena gesture in passing, vs literally chasing down a defeated opponent to do it. Blame it on double standards if you want, though.

Yes, CC having girl next door appeal(vs, say, Instathot appeal), does make her more marketable to the general public, white or otherwise.

Last edited:
That's a pretty big misrepresentation of what I said. I led my analysis with a simple phrase:

So, let's not confuse my analysis of what's happening with my personal opinion.

She didn't win anything. Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods, Manchester United, etc. All elite sports icon are judged on winning. IF they win, the attention is warranted. If they don't then the people who are winning are in a position to question why the attention is on the person who isn't winning.

The Angel Reese thing blew up from this:
maxresdefault.jpg

And the news story that called the LSU team "villains" and "dirty debutantes".

People cannot divorce the history here because it's been brewing for 2 years. This isn't some story that started when CC reached the WNBA.
She literally chased someone on the court to taunt, after having won. That's some Bad Boys Pistons level class on display.

And the " rings" argument, at the collegiate level, isn't really worth taking seriously.

Last edited:
I didn't even know there was "pretty privilege" now. This descent into madness gets worse every week.

I didn't even know there was "pretty privilege" now. This descent into madness gets worse every week.
I didn't even know you were still posting on here :D

But yeah, that's the dumbest argument ever about a fairly plain woman from someone who is apparently only on TV because of her looks--because it's certainly not due to intelligence.

I didn't even know you were still posting on here :D

But yeah, that's the dumbest argument ever about a fairly plain woman from someone who is apparently only on TV because of her looks--because it's certainly not due to intelligence.
Yeah it's also just nuts to me that we're also trying to deny that looks do matter in certain instances... that's rudimentary, hard wired biology. To point out that it matters is one thing but to point that out and add some passive aggressive shaming is pretty repugnant.

We should ignore the noise and glad to see one of those rivalries that will elevate the sport.

Instead of folks I women's bb bei g happy with all the attention she is brining to a sport noone watched before they must chastise the coverage she gets because she's white and straight.

It's like you got a bunch of starving folks and a white person brings out plates of food and drink - starving folks go ---- Nooooooooo! I want nothing from you.

She's not hideous but definitley not cute ot hot. Would make ideal mate for a NBA star to make the next Jordan tho

Seems like ‘privilege’ has become the new euphemism for hard work! Not only physically lazy, mentally lazy…possibly more embarrassing.

Back