Just one Brazilian champ left

My boy Money Mendes will take care of that soon, then all UFC champs will be from the good old U S of A as it should be.

Yeah

I 'm hardcore 'murican
BUT this thread is stupid

Great chance Machida is MW champ shortly, Aldo is one of the best-- still pleanty of great fighters Brazil has to offer. Lighten the fuck up

No. Unlikely chance. Hence Weidman being over a 2-1 favorite.

haha and soon there will be no brazilian champs. i love it, i always want the brazlian fighters to loose. i hate their attitude and excuses. dont like any of them

Well you ought to factor time into that if you want to make any kind of definitive judgment.

Take the last ten years.

Instinctively, I think a lot of people react to threads like these, because it's easy to perceive the observation as being racist or nationalistic, even though it was not intended as such at all, and even though there was nothing in the OP to suggest that kind of view at all. It seems to activate some kind of primal monkey response, because it feels like someone is saying the American tribe (to use the terminology of widely acclaimed socialanthropologist Joe Rogan) is superior to every other tribe in the world, because they have superior fighter genes.

For this reason, you get a lot of strange responses.
"Yeah, so what, the UFC is American"
"Yeah, so what, MMA started in America!"
etc

But I think it's fairly clear to anyone that American fighters aren't better by virtue of having been born in America or having American ancestors. The biggest common denominator is probably just wrestling. The US has done a great job of organizing that sport, letting young kids pursue wrestling as a path to a good education. Back in the day, the road stopped after amateur level, but now that the UFC is here, there's a clear path from toddler level to a professional career. Completely different from most other countries in the world, where high level martial arts is, at best, a hobby for the privileged and exceptionally dedicated.

I'm not a big fan of Putin, but I'm real happy he's a martial artist. We need another cold war to set up some amazing MMA rivalry between Russia and the US. It would be worth the risk of nuclear holocaust just to see how far MMA would evolve in such conditions.

Oops, I've gone off on a tangent.

I'd say the reality is that the way the sport is promoted under the UFC simply means more American wrestlers are attracted to it whilst fewer fighters from different nations and/or MA's are.

Its not just that the UFC is interested in promoting Americans is the way they develop(or rather don't) talent that's also shifting the sport towards the US.

You mention career paths in wrestling but I think you make a mistake in believing that every nation offers the same poor funding that the US does in this reguard. My guess is that countries like Russia and the other central Asian states offer far more public funding and likely more income from endorsements and the like. That's probably why these nations dominate the medals at the Olympics ahead of the US, there best talent CAN make a career out of wrestling. The same is true for Judo, theres good state funding in many nations where its popular.

Then of course you have sports like kickboxing that offer the chance of high earning though professional careers. What does this have to do with the UFC's promoting style? well I'd say the issue is that if people can earn good money in their own sport they need much more of an incentive to switch to another sport with success uncertain.

You look at the way the Japanese promoted MMA and whats the biggest difference compared to today? I'd argue the biggest difference is that fighters ended up in the big orgs(Pride, RINGS, FEG, Inoki) MUCH faster than they do today if not instantly. I'm guessing the way things worked was either these promoters offer fighters big contracts to switch sports or they had strong links with various supercamps meaning fighters knew they had a quick path into the bigtime if they were involved with those camps.

Today on the other hand things are very different, the UFC doesn't sign fighters from other sports directly and it doesn't seem to have the same business links with camps. This means that to get into the UFC your often looking at 2-3 years proving yourself in the minor leagues whilst making very limited amounts of money. This has IMHO ment that we've seen far fewer kickboxers, Judoka etc switch to MMA than we did in the past and indeed I'd argue even the old stalwart BJJ is not offering the same talent flow it once did as that sport and running dojo's becomes bigger business,

My boy Money Mendes will take care of that soon, then all UFC champs will be from the good old U S of A as it should be.

As it should be? WTF makes you think a country is entitled to something like that?

Also Mendes is going to get ktfo again. Getting ko's over guys like Cody McKenzie, Yaotzin Meza and Darren Elkins doesn't somehow make him a better striker than Aldo.

Doesn't matter, Werdum and Machida are taking those belts back to Brazil.

this.

Isn't premier in any country, and still isn't "unified" ... I mean, in a lot of countries orgs use rings instead of cages and with different rule sets.

Sad to say this, but UFC isn't still the expression of global MMA like e.g. World Cup is for soccer

That may have something to do with the fact that some people are still opposed to watching humans pummel each other senseless for sport!

Soccer...really, Brah?

It's obvious Brazil MMA is on the decline.
What's it got to do with?
Wrestling!
Wrestling, being the dominant base for MMA & having its greatest foundations in the USA, it's only natural that within 5 years time all current champs will be wrestlers (most of them American) & there's not a damn thing anyone else can say/do about it.
The striker/BJJ archetype, most popular in Brazil, becomes obsolete.
Pettis & Aldo will eventually fall to wrestlers.

so it's time for russian guys who have Freestyle/Grecoroman/Sambo/Judo more developed than the american Folkstyle.

just a matter of time.... Russian invasion!

The last hope for the entire world of MMA is on Aldo's shoulders. No pressure. :icon_lol:

Anyone know the ratio of Brazilian to American fighters in the UFC?

People need to understand that belts come and go

For instance, a belt will be leaving the USA by July 2014.

Chadwick Mendes will complete the American dominance over the Brazilians come August 30th. This time, the refs have been fully notified of Jose Aldo's cheating methods of grabbing the fence, and will be ready to deduct a point on the 2nd time he does it.

I'm not a big fan of Putin, but I'm real happy he's a martial artist. We need another cold war to set up some amazing MMA rivalry between Russia and the US. It would be worth the risk of nuclear holocaust just to see how far MMA would evolve in such conditions.

Oops, I've gone off on a tangent.

I always wante Fedor vs Lesnar as a URSS vs US fight since the beginning.

I'd say the reality is that the way the sport is promoted under the UFC simply means more American wrestlers are attracted to it whilst fewer fighters from different nations and/or MA's are.

Its not just that the UFC is interested in promoting Americans is the way they develop(or rather don't) talent that's also shifting the sport towards the US.

You mention career paths in wrestling but I think you make a mistake in believing that every nation offers the same poor funding that the US does in this reguard. My guess is that countries like Russia and the other central Asian states offer far more public funding and likely more income from endorsements and the like. That's probably why these nations dominate the medals at the Olympics ahead of the US, there best talent CAN make a career out of wrestling. The same is true for Judo, theres good state funding in many nations where its popular.

Then of course you have sports like kickboxing that offer the chance of high earning though professional careers. What does this have to do with the UFC's promoting style? well I'd say the issue is that if people can earn good money in their own sport they need much more of an incentive to switch to another sport with success uncertain.

You look at the way the Japanese promoted MMA and whats the biggest difference compared to today? I'd argue the biggest difference is that fighters ended up in the big orgs(Pride, RINGS, FEG, Inoki) MUCH faster than they do today if not instantly. I'm guessing the way things worked was either these promoters offer fighters big contracts to switch sports or they had strong links with various supercamps meaning fighters knew they had a quick path into the bigtime if they were involved with those camps.

Today on the other hand things are very different, the UFC doesn't sign fighters from other sports directly and it doesn't seem to have the same business links with camps. This means that to get into the UFC your often looking at 2-3 years proving yourself in the minor leagues whilst making very limited amounts of money. This has IMHO ment that we've seen far fewer kickboxers, Judoka etc switch to MMA than we did in the past and indeed I'd argue even the old stalwart BJJ is not offering the same talent flow it once did as that sport and running dojo's becomes bigger business,
THIS 100%

I think if UFC get his hands in this french judoka Teddy Riner or some Gold Judo medallist, he would be able to ragdoll Jones or Cain easily.

Anyone know the ratio of Brazilian to American fighters in the UFC?

I would love to know this.

Somehow some patriotic dumbasses here think it`s a competition. Even worse, a fair competition.

Brazil and the rest of the world are very outnumbered on the roster.

Great topic to revive by the end of the year

Back