• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JURASSIC WORLD v.2 (Dragonlord's Review)

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

Update: June 9, 2015

Dragonlord's Review of JURASSIC WORLD
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: The Indominus Rex and the Raptors shine through but it's the uninteresting human characters, cringey dialogue and recycled ideas that bedim the film.

Jurassic-World-Dragonlords-Review-060915.jpg

Synopsis: Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly.

Review: Director Colin Trevorrow steps in to revive a dormant franchise which pays homage to the original Jurassic Park while subsequently ignoring the two sequels that followed it. Trevorrow foregoes the sense of wonder and science (can't blame him though since it's already been done) and instead focuses more on the action adventure aspects. There's plenty of meta references and nostalgic nods to the original film. Unfortunately, the dull human characters are the weakest part of the film.

Chris Pratt was adequate as the leading man Owen Grady, a former Navy guy and the park's Raptor trainer. Though he plays the character a bit more serious than his Star-Lord role in GotG, there's just a sense of staleness to Pratt's performance that makes me question his newfound leading man status. Josh Brolin almost got Pratt's role and the True Grit actor's solemnity and gruffness would have been a better fit for this film. It also doesn't help that Pratt had a really awkward scene with Bryce Dallas Howard early on with the most cringeworthy dialogue.

The other main characters are a bust. Howard plays the park operations manager and becomes intolerable as the film progressed. Kept on thinking Charlize Theron would have nailed the role perfectly. The two brothers played by Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson are too uninteresting to follow. Judy Greer, who plays their mother, should have been with the two on their adventures. They also showed multiple unnecessary scenes of the older brother staring at girls on the park but it just comes across as creepy.

The human characters might have been a failure but fortunately the Indominus Rex shines through. A hybrid from dinosaur and animal gene mixing, the Indominus Rex is a terrific, unstoppable villain that provides a great deal of scary moments. The execution for the "domesticated" Raptors concept was well done and believable. Though it's been shown in the trailers, Pratt riding with the Raptors to battle was still badass. The CGI effects are superb and the exhilarating third act is a monster mash mayhem heaven.

Preliminary Rating: 6.5/10

I might have taken this film seriously if Josh Brolin were the leading man, and Charlize Theron played BDH's part. The two kid actors don't appeal to me in any way, so...

I'll probably pass on seeing this in the theater.

3D ? if so, how was it ?

I thought the movie looked great, but I saw it in Imax and I'm sure that had a lot to do with how much I enjoyed the film. I never watch regular 3-d because I find the screen too dark. There's been plenty of movies better in 3d but this one was worth it in my opinion.

Ughh, I am so in the minority on this one but again I will say that I throughly enjoyed this movie and that you guys should definitely see this in theater.

People are being to harsh with their reviews. The lead actors did a fine job and I don't know why people are crapping on them so much.

What I can't understand is how you gave Age of Ultron 7.5, and this gets a 6.5??

I guess anything comic book related gets a free pass. A real shame because this movie stomps on Age of Ultron.

I guess anything comic book related gets a free pass. A real shame because this movie stomps on Age of Ultron.

I have skipped Age of Ultron entirely due to how mediocre and disappointing The Avengers was.

Ughh, I am so in the minority on this one but again I will say that I throughly enjoyed this movie and that you guys should definitely see this in theater.
It's too early to tell. A lot of the posters haven't even seen it yet. I could be the one ending up in the minority. :)

What I can't understand is how you gave Age of Ultron 7.5, and this gets a 6.5??
The 7.5 was just a preliminary rating and could possibly settle down to a 7. Same with JW, my final rating could settle to a 7 upon second viewing. Also, it's not like I gave AoU a glowing feedback either. I've already stated in my review why I liked it.

Damn. Considering that this is one of my most anticipated films of the year--by far--I am sorry to see a lot of the lackluster reviews that are coming in.

This wasn't my most anticipated but I was still really looking forward to it. But people should still see it and decide on their own. I feel that others might enjoy the film more than I did.

The original Jurassic Park was the best cinematic experience of my life. I was 10-years-old.

20 years later, I was hoping for a fraction of the experience, but it doesn't look like it will even deliver that.

Feelsbadman

It's too early to tell. A lot of the posters haven't even seen it yet. I could be the one ending up in the minority. :)

The 7.5 was just a preliminary rating and could possibly settle down to a 7. Same with JW, my final rating could settle to a 7 upon second viewing. Also, it's not like I gave AoU a glowing feedback either. I've already stated in my review why I liked it.

I guess that's fair. I suppose I'm a bit bias since I've always had a thing for dinosaurs. I watched all 3 in the cinema opening weekend.

How would you rank the other films in comparison to this one? I thought this one easily topped Lost World and JP III.

How would you rank the other films in comparison to this one? I thought this one easily topped Lost World and JP III.

I was hoping no one would ask me that :icon_chee since I'm still unsure about the standings after seeing JW. I definitely want to see the two sequels again before ranking them. Strange thing is I've never been a big fan (big fan =/= hate) of The Lost World but it made appreciate it a bit more after seeing JW.

Update: June 9, 2015

Dragonlord's Review of JURASSIC WORLD
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: The Indominus Rex and the Raptors shine through but it's the uninteresting human characters, cringey dialogue and recycled ideas that bedim the film.

Jurassic-World-Dragonlords-Review-060915.jpg

Synopsis: Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly.

Review: Director Colin Trevorrow steps in to revive a dormant franchise which pays homage to the original Jurassic Park while subsequently ignoring the two sequels that followed it. Trevorrow foregoes the sense of wonder and science (can't blame him though since it's already been done) and instead focuses more on the action adventure aspects. There's plenty of meta references and nostalgic nods to the original film. Unfortunately, the dull human characters are the weakest part of the film.

Chris Pratt was adequate as the leading man Owen Grady, a former Navy guy and the park's Raptor trainer. Though he plays the character a bit more serious than his Star-Lord role in GotG, there's just a sense of staleness to Pratt's performance that makes me question his newfound leading man status. Josh Brolin almost got Pratt's role and the True Grit actor's solemnity and gruffness would have been a better fit for this film. It also doesn't help that Pratt had a really awkward scene with Bryce Dallas Howard early on with the most cringeworthy dialogue.

The other main characters are a bust. Howard plays the park operations manager and becomes intolerable as the film progressed. Kept on thinking Charlize Theron would have nailed the role perfectly. The two brothers played by Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson are too uninteresting to follow. Judy Greer, who plays their mother, should have been with the two on their adventures. They also showed multiple unnecessary scenes of the older brother staring at girls on the park but it just comes across as creepy.

The human characters might have been a failure but fortunately the Indominus Rex shines through. A hybrid from dinosaur and animal gene mixing, the Indominus Rex is a terrific, unstoppable villain that provides a great deal of scary moments. The execution for the "domesticated" Raptors concept was well done and believable. Though it's been shown in the trailers, Pratt riding with the Raptors to battle was still badass. The CGI effects are superb and the exhilarating third act is a monster mash mayhem heaven.

Preliminary Rating: 6.5/10

I think I speak for everyone with this gif

knicks-bench-during-loss-to-pistons.gif

Jurassic World... better than sequels, also better than the first one, entertaining, top special effects, but still not kind of movie for me... 5.5/10.

Just got back from the film... Wanted to give it a 7 but decided on 6.

When they entered the "World" the gate was very similar to what we seen in the original film and the theme soundtrack played, I had goosebumps. I was a kid when I saw the first 2 films.

But it kind of went downhill from there. I think the major problem is the pacing of the movie for the first 60+ mins. It goes 5mins exciting, 5mins random talking, 5 mins exciting, 5mins touchy family dialogue and continued the same pattern for the first hour.

The last 45min or so of the movie was MUCH better. The jokes were minimum, which was a plus to me. Some minor part of the movies would be totally "confusing/new" to the younger audiences because **certain aspects** of the first 2 films were brought back.

Overall a decent movie, but I still encourage Sherdoggers to visit the theatre to watch it. If the pacing was better, I would have easily give it an 8 but I don't think it should get any higher than that.

EDIT:
Some movies goes slow at the beginning and builds up to the climax.
Some movies goes all-in from the beginning and continue/slow down a little along the way but still maintaining the climax.
The overall pacing for this one is just ... weird.

Last edited:
Best part for me was the song playing during the credits, The best movie soundtrack song by far.

[YT]lv5Lk8e_0xM[/YT]

:icon_chee

I voted 7/10.
It's a good movie.
The goods :
The visual effects are amazing. Chris Pratt and Vincent D'Onofrio deliver. The only good actors in this movie. The tamed raptors is a good and fresh idea ( but still hard to believe )
The old school Jurassic Park music and the many references and Easter Eggs from Jurassic Park.
The new Park looks great. It really looks like a Disneyworld with Dino.
I also liked the humor.
The guy from the control room.

The bads :
-The rest of the cast was chosen poorly and were really uninteresting. Scenes with them were dragging and useless just so we can have the family movie clich

Movies starts in 1HR 10Mins I'm pumped. Hopefully I'm not let down. I almost wore my Star wars death star tee but I guess I have to re-wear(eww) my JP shirt.

11017730_813582775356922_6332077105288771322_n.jpg

Amazing movie. Incredible effects and the ending is amazing. Stop whinning and enjoy the movie.

just watched it in 3D IMAX & i gotta say it brgs back da feelz from the 1st movie and fixed the inaccuracies of the dinos w) one dialogue with fiendish Dr. Wu (cuz u know real dinos have feathers & r more like birds than reptilian lizards) (& props to ppl get the reference to fiendish Dr. Wu)
i really like the homage this movie put forth and the score by John Williams is still amazing. the plot itself was very formulaic but i enjoyed it. everything was wat a jurassic park movie was supposed to be.

& u get to see an awesome I rex vs T rex fight scene. however, the only thing i didnt like was the mosasaur popping out of the water to eat the I rex. thats bs if it can hop out of the water like that. (if it can do that, then it can totally eat the ppl @ the amusement park)

my advice to ppl watching the movie is enjoy the generic plot & acting & stay for the action/suspense. turn off ur brains & ull have an awesome time.

also visuals & sounds were amazing

Back