Junior's standup is still better than Cains. Do you agree or disagree?

I'd have to agree, I was rooting for Cain and he absolutely mauled JDS, but in a straight kickboxing match I'd have to give it to JDS. Cain is the better Mixed Martial Artist though, the reason he was able to outstrike JDS so handily is because he mixed up his striking and wrestling so well, JDS didn't know if he was gonna have to defend a takedown of strikes next and barely allowed him time to deliver any of his own shots.

Junior is still much better technically speaking.

He sets his combos up so much better. He doesn't always put a ton of pop behind his shots either, he threw a slow, lazy, easy to counter jab against Cain in the first fight, which helped him set up the overhand while Cain was trying to counter it. He's not this brawler that his haters make him out to be.

Part of Junior's downfall in the rematch was his unwillingness to plant himself and catch Cain while Cain was charging toward him looking for a takedown, Cain's chin was in the air and was just begging to get tagged.

Look what he did to Gonzaga. He tried charging towards Junior and ate got KO'd for his efforts. Gonzaga was looking to kick and Cain was looking for a TD, but JDS still could have caught Cain like he did Gonzaga.

Dos-Santos-KO-Gonzaga.gif

Shane Carwin also tried running in with a hook and ate a jab from Junior.

Cain's attempts were so sloppy in the first round, JDS could have caught him, but instead he backpedaled to the fence.

He also backed towards the fence with Carwin, and got caught there as well.

Last edited:
In boxing or kickboxing, Junior outclasses Cain without a doubt.

However, if you mix in the threat of a takedown, Cain's aggression is multiplied tenfold and his strikes become waaaaay better. That's what fun about MMA! Your well-roundedness amplifies your game if every aspect.

No takedowns involved and junior will not lose in the stand up to Cain, I was impressed in the way Cain confused junior mixing up strikes with clinching and takedowns

No. It's a power punch. He has better KO power but I've seen nothing else that has warranted all the hype for him to have better stand-up.

JDS has better stand up than Cain but Cain threatens JDS with strong wrestling and everlasting cardio. This makes it hard for JDS to compete when he is tiring.

if anyone here thinks cains striking is anywhere near JDS you are a complete moron.

what does make his striking dangerous is the constant threat of the takedown (like gsp). which is why he can find so much success.

Well JDS is the better striker imo, if there was no wrestling then you can bet that JDS would be throwing more kicks as well,

Both isn't good as people made it out to be, espeicially JDS's.

Offensively good, but JDS's defensive foot work and striking is simply bad.

Just straight out standing I'd say Junior, but Cain is definitely more versatile.

If the two of them were to have a kickboxing bout I'd heavily favour JDS. However, in terms of effective stand-up within mma; Cain takes it.

Respectfull, Junior has only boxed for a few years and is already better than pretty much anyone in the HW division. Cain got him with a good combination, JDS got caught because he was backing towards the fence to defend a takedown, and while Cain had JDS backing up he changed levels and hit him with a jab and a brutal overhand right. Junior could have caught Cain because Cain attempted many sloppy takedowns without protecting his chin, if only Junior planted himself and thrown something instead of pulling back.

Junior is a good boxer though, sometimes his punches are thrown with subpar technique but he is excellent at setting his punches up, so they land. The overhand right he hit Cain with in the first fight was thrown with poor technique, but he set it up beautifully with his jab, so Cain got nailed with it.

Good points made Dos Santos is one of the most talented fighters in MMA.

Back