Junior's standup is still better than Cains. Do you agree or disagree?

Cain. Junior has amateur level boxing at best

JDS standup is far more devastating. Cain dont have the explosiveness that JDS has. He obviously has a weaker chin aswell.

I think JDS is the more impressive striker personally. I don't think enough people understand why he keeps his hands so low. It's to prevent take downs like Chuck Liddell used to. Of course this puts him at risk of getting his clock cleaned every now and again but his chin has stood up to the punishment so far.

Personally I think he gassed from the repeated take down attempts, started worrying about that, kept his hands even lower and started getting picked apart as a result. Once his clock was cleaned, he was riding on sheer will power to make it through the other four rounds of the fight.

JDS is a better striker by far...

The issue here is that that fact doesn't really matter in the big picture in MMA or specifically in comparison of these two fighters or how they match up.

JDS has crisper technique than Cain, faster hands, more power in his hands and is more plodding in his footwork and doesn't throw many kicks (but I suspect this is for balance reasonings/TDD)

Cain's punches are usually more the type of looping shots, he tends to be a little sloppy at times, has good power but not great power, mixes up kicks every once in a while, kicks are average for a heavyweight in terms of crispness and power, his movement isn't very balanced or necessarily even quick, but he is a tad faster than JDS is in terms of footwork.

In terms to how their standup works in actual functioning relation to when they fight... The reason Cain got knocked out the first time was because he isn't as crisp with his punches as Junior is. He threw his hands and was a little sloppy and Junior went right over the top and smashed him. That's a sign of Junior's technical superiority. Both men were fresh, Junior won.

In the second fight, from the milisecond that fight started, Cain used an amazing pace to wear Junior out. Junior gassed and with it, all of his skills and power were diminished due to the fact that he just couldn't breathe and then Cain hit him with the punch that hurt him and essentially ended the fight.

So yes, Junior has better standup, but Junior can't use that advantage if he's winded and Cain is going like a maddawg with his cardio. Cain fought really well in their 2nd fight, and tbh, he should fight almost everybody like that... There is no equal in terms of his pace, and a tired man is a beaten man, no matter how skilled or powerful they are.

It was better a year ago. Cain's is better now.

The only indicator we have is by how they do against each other, and Cain was better absolutely everywhere.

I dunno... JDS has had 3 fights go to a decision in which he failed to finish (Carwin, Nelson, Cain).

There's not nearly as much evidence that JDS has significantly more finishing power than does Cain as everyone seems so willing to assume.

1.gif

I would say that Cain has the better hands and is alot quicker with them as well.

In terms of 'pure striking ' ie who would I back in a kickboxing match or boxing match unquestionably still jds
The problem though is this is mma and cain was able to mix up striking with the takedowns and attempted takedowns , wear jds down and most importantly utilize 'dirty boxing'...something JDS wont exp much as he does a lot of his striking training under boxing coaches with boxing rules ie the dirty boxing stuff gets broken up by the ref/coach

Not in that fight he kept moving when he should be comboing. He was looking for the one punch KO which was a terrible plan. Cain is more diverse with kicks and punches with setups and combos so I would say Cain. JDS has to stand his ground and combo and takedown. He should't be floating like a butterfly stinging like a bee. :D

well... he has more natural striking ability at least. his speed, precision, timing is very good but as far as actual technique goes i think Cain is more polished and well-rounded.

did you watch the 2nd fight?

Did you watch Overeem vs. Werdum? Do you think Werdum would be able to outstrike Peter Aerts in a kickboxing match?

If you can't tell when the threat of the takedown is clearly influencing the outcome of the fight on the feet, you're an idiot.

In a pure boxing match, JDS most likely controls the fight. In a kickboxing match, JDS probably scores enough to win it. If there was no threat of wrestling, Velasquez could still force clinches & pressure JDS. However, JDS would have more opportunity to land strikes...

I can't believe this is the first time im noticing this. But what was JDS doing there, seriously hes just opening himself up to be hit and not even trying to attack.

he was setting up for a straight right hand it looks like

Junior's boxing is better than Cain's. But Cain mixes his stand up game with kicks better than JDS.

JDS hands > Cain's

Cain's kicks > JDS

The striking power would be the difference. That being said, if the fight is purely a stand up war, I'd still go with Johny Two Saints.

This.

No question and its not even close. JDS has far better boxing skills....although that doesnt mean that Cain cant strike with him. He mixes up his strikes very well and has the threat of the takedown.

Damn i cant stand people who think Cain is the better striker or think they are equal.

Just ask yourself if Cain is capable of knocking out the people JDS has...

IMO if Cain stands up with Carwin he will get KTFO, i dont see Cain outstriking Roy the way JDS did hell i dont think he can take that big right hand Roy landed on JDS in the 2nd round Cain woudlve got KTFO or at least dropped for a finish.

Back