Judo Workout, PHASE 3, Brown to Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubble Boy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
01-12-2006

Got my brown belt tonight in class. No test, just had it handed to me. Took about 6 years.

This is going to be a long log: from today until I get the black belt.

Anybody who wants to come along for the ride, hop on board.

Just to be clear though, I'm a recreational judoka.
Judo is my hobby.
I'm by no means an expert, or some competitive bad ass, or some power lifting gym jockey. I've got a life, but I still train hard and take this judo stuff relatively seriously.
I have a wife and kids, a full time job, and I'm a full time college student at the age of 40. Whatever time is left I spend on judo, or some related training.

Please add whatever comments you like. I've learned so much over the past couple of logs from Judogido, Registered, Steeltwo, and others that I can't imagine my training without them. Not to be sappy, but there really is a brotherhood in judo...

JUDO

Again, was handed my brown infomally at the start of class tonight. My friend Eric got his green tonight.
We worked a nasty painful leg armlock tonight. You basically figure four your opponents arm while drapped across their back, and crank it with your legs until you get the hyper-extension on their elbow.
We worked armbars for about an hour tonight. VERY detailed instructions from Randy (our coach) on how to really set them up, how to free the opponents arm if they're defending well, how to shift to uki gatame, etc.
We rolled for about 15 minutes and then did crash pad throws to finish class.

Just jazzed about finally getting the brown! :D

EDIT: Links to my previous logs:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233347
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203274 <<<<First log started 09-28-2004.

FURTHER EDIT: The "boxing" portion of this log doesn't get started until November...

Congratulations :)

keeping in touch

ps
"the soup" .......:wink:

WE WANT PICTURES

FROM

1. COACH POTATO
  2. TO SEXY 40ish
  3. TO MEAN DUDE!

DON'T HIDE, YOU OWE US!

:D

BTW

thanks for the credits :)

congratulations man!!! you must be pumped!

I hope I get there someday too!

EDIT: and c'mon, lets see those pics of your transformation!

Bubble Boy said:
Please add whatever comments you like. I've learned so much over the past couple of logs from Judogido, Registered, Steeltwo, and others that I can't imagine my training without them. Not to be sappy, but there really is a brotherhood in judo...
*sniffs* GROUP HUG EVERYBODY

Actually, a group hug'll probably turn into a 4-way judo competition. Well done on the Brown.

Congratulations ... that's a big accomplishment, especially for a "recreational" judoka. I have enjoyed reading your log and will continue to enjoy reading how you progress.:)

Thanks guys.

Judogido, there will be no hugging in this log. You damn Aussies are so soft!

registered said:
WE WANT PICTURES

FROM

COACH POTATO
TO SEXY 40ish
TO MEAN DUDE!
DON'T HIDE, YOU OWE US!

:D

Ok, ok. My wife was just laughing her ass off as she took this picture. She thinks I'm a dweeb.
Here's 01-15-2006:
I consider this my BEFORE pic at this point.
I'll do a progress pic on 03-15-2006 just to see how the weight room and "slimming" is going.

As you can tell I've got a lot of work to do, and I've slacked off a bit in my weight room training. :redface:

And just to prove to my wife how dweebish I could actually be, I also had her take this pic of me puffing up my feathers...

King Dweeb.

!!!!! good luck w ur training dude hopefully we will get our sunday session going again soon

01-16-2006

Judo

As I was leaving work Eric flagged me down and wanted to go do some judo. So we went to the club and, after warming up with pushups, situps, and jumping jacks, went straight into a good solid hour of crash pad throws. I really worked the left side stuff.
By the end of the year I'd like to have my left side as strong as my right side is now.
We stuck to basics mostly: hip and shoulder throws. However, we played around a little with different grips.
I tried a lapel grip stepping back uchimata that judogido showed me, but it's going to need a lot of work.

kimura594 next Sunday if you can make it.

Bubble Boy said:
01-16-2006

Judo

As I was leaving work Eric flagged me down and wanted to go do some judo. So we went to the club and, after warming up with pushups, situps, and jumping jacks, went straight into a good solid hour of crash pad throws. I really worked the left side stuff.
By the end of the year I'd like to have my left side as strong as my right side is now.
We stuck to basics mostly: hip and shoulder throws. However, we played around a little with different grips.
I tried a lapel grip stepping back uchimata that judogido showed me, but it's going to need a lot of work.

kimura594 next Sunday if you can make it.
if u mean this coming sunday the 21rst i will deffinetly be there the following weekend ill be in denver so no go that week,give me a call this weekend let me know if its gonna be a for sure thing

01-17-2005

Judo

Myself, Randy and big Matt (CroCop big) worked out for about 2 hours. Randy is working on this "one step judo" theory. I'm totally on board.
Here's how it works:
First, your mindset is: if the guy moves, THROW. Very offensive strategy.
You pick a specific throw for each direction: the guy pushes = seoi nage, the guy pulls = kata guruma, the guy moves to HIS right = tai otoshi, the guy moves to HIS left = ogoshi.
Or whatever throws work. Those are just the specific throws I worked on tonight.
So the drill is, when uke moves in one of those directions, you do the throw. Immediately. One step (uke), THROW! In the drill we don't know which direction he's going to go, but whichever direction it is, you just explode into the specific throw at the first hint they are going that way.
The idea is to ingrain it for tournaments. We'll see!

We did some ground drills: passing the guard stuff, arm bar setups, guard sweeps, etc. We did a bunch of stacking the uke drills. Randy came up with this weird but extremely effective stack that leads to a cross gi choke. I'll try to draw it and scan it and then post it here. It's something I've never really seen before, but I'm sure some of you guys may recognize it as something with a NAME and you can let me know.

Our College class starts on January 31. Flyers go up tomorrow and they'll be a blurb in the local newspapers along with an article about our club with pictures. It's the next step for our little club.

Also, the Arizona State Tournament is in late February, and there's the Southwest Judo Tournament in New Mexico in March. I'm going to try to make them both. *gulp*

Kimura594, yeah I meant this Sunday Jan. 21. I say we focus on anything you want for your fight (no gi, with gloves, etc).

Whipped up some illustrations of Randy's guard pass/ stack/ choke thing. Actually used my kid's crayons: couldn't find anything else to use. Hope they're understandable. Just spent a couple minutes on each.

Step 1:

Step 3:

Note: My drawings aren't doing the STACK part of this thing any justice. You should be absolutely pancaking the uke.
The hands are grabbing opposite lapels. The right hand starts behind the neck, but then the elbow is swung around (over the top of) uke's head, then drops across his throat. The left hand of Red is tugging hard on Blue's left lapel.

Anybody else think there might be a good omaplata counter for the blue guy?

First off thanks for the laugh in my log. Second, congratulations on your Belt. Third, I don't think you should never compete man! I have an Uncle who could have been a STAR in a Sport, and if you ask his kids who are now grown the one thing they wish they could change about their Father, all 3 of them say they wish he would have competed instead of keeping it only as a hobby, because they would have loved to see him really shine and be recognized for how much work he put into his Sport.

You seem to be a bonafide student of the game, and that's great. I mean going over illustrations while eating dinner!? That's like me, studying the fights of my favorite fighters while I eat pretty much every meal. Reading and even writing about the Sport I do.

Judo has ALWAYS been such a respected Art for me. When I first studied Muay Thai I actually got into a fight with this little skinny kid who said "you won't land one hit on me." I laughed at him (I was young and brash at the time). Needless to say every single time I went to strike him I got dumped either on my head, ass, or face. He was VERY quick, had amazing reflexes, and knew just where to push and pull on my body to tip me over like an over-filled glass of water. He taught me basics, and though I never took up Judo full-time, I think it's one of the best and most consistent Arts to practice.

That being said, I wanted to bring up something I just mentioned in my log. The Capoeira conditioning. It might be something you'd like to look into. The reason the movie Ocean's Twelve fascinated me with the scene where it shows Capoeira movements in it is because the guy stays VERY low to the ground, and very balanced. It looks like it'd be something excellent to add to anyone's ground game, because he could go down to the ground and get up off the ground smoothly and slowly in almost every way of twisting the body. Just some food for thought.

Good luck with your training, and keep up the good work! Your Family should be proud. If anyone threatens their security, that dude better pack a lunch and a helmet. lol

Bubble Boy said:
Whipped up some illustrations of Randy's guard pass/ stack/ choke thing. Actually used my kid's crayons: couldn't find anything else to use. Hope they're understandable. Just spent a couple minutes on each.

Step 1:
holy shit man i didnt know u could draw so good!
anyway only thing i see that might come up is getting caught when u have ur leg all the way through ,its begging for leg and or ankle lock,at least thats how it apears in the drawing.
u gotta show me this one in person on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back