Judo Workout, PHASE 3, Brown to Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
concerning step 2,if blue isnt fully pinned red is in perfect position to get caught in oma plata shoulder lock on his right arm

Good technique. Like anyhting, if you maintain control throughout there are no opportunities for counters like the omoplata.

judogido said:
Good technique. Like anyhting, if you maintain control throughout there are no opportunities for counters like the omoplata.
obviously in a perfect world it would work that way but this world aint perfect

I agree with you guys that as long as everything is secure, there's little risk of omaplata or an ankle lock, but if the top guy (red) does not have that left arm of the bottom guy (blue) completely pinned and CRUSHED with his foot, an omaplata and ankle lock are possible. My drawing #2 doesn't really do a good job of showing how that left arm needs to be totally squashed by the right leg of red.

This conversation reminds me of something a judo coach said once in response to a student commenting about a risky throw. The coach said: "There's risk in EVERY throw. Risk shouldn't stop us from moving foward. If we don't take risks, we aren't doing judo...we're just standing there leaning on one another..."

Anyway, when we were going over the tecnique from the illustrations the other night, one thing was certain: when that foot was in your arm it hurt like hell. It was basically a bicep crusher. As long as the tori had strong control of the arm with his foot and his hand was pulling strong, the pin was on 100%. Control must be maintained throughout.

NOTE: I'm feeling a bit of apathy at the moment. I didn't go to judo the other night, and I skipped the gym today. Gotta' snap out of it. It's been a month since I've really trained seriously...

1-21-2006

Weight Room:

Just got off my ass and to the gym.
10 minute warmup on the stationary bike.
5 sets of the bench press, not more than 135lbs.
5 sets of the barbell military press, 45 lb bar.
3 sets of cable crossovers.
Situps, a couple back extensions, stretching.
Gosh durn it, felt good to get back in the gym. I'll build from this.

Bubble Boy said:
01-17-2005

Judo

Myself, Randy and big Matt (CroCop big) worked out for about 2 hours. Randy is working on this "one step judo" theory. I'm totally on board.
Here's how it works:
First, your mindset is: if the guy moves, THROW.

it sounds real beauty :) like it :)

ps
you should be shpwing also the first pic to fully appreaciate your comimg back to the human kind :)

long runs and power building?

registered said:
you should be shpwing also the first pic to fully appreaciate your comimg back to the human kind :)

long runs and power building?

Oh, you mean this pic?

hunchback.gif

I've made slight improvements eh?

Ok, for real, 10-02-2004:

my point was just that there are things to look out for in the transitions.judogido states that they isnt a possibility for counters well there is allways a possibility , things change drasticly when applied in lets say in a actual judo tornament as compared to just drilling in the dojo

01-22-2006

Judo: Open Mat Grappling

Good class. Kimura594, Ordean, Eric, and myself. Gi and no-gi newaza rolling.
Worked on my leg lock defense tonight because I keep getting subbed with that shit. I briefly watched this Sambo leg locks video the other day (thanks registered), and saw that they were "stuffing" the attempts as a defense. i.e., keeping close to the attacking person and pulling themselves in. Kimura pointed out the need to thrust the captured leg through.

Eric and Ordean are about the same size and strength and pretty evenly matched. Now Eric doesn't have us little guys to pick on any more!
Note: I gassed after just a few rolls. My CARDIO SUCKS!!! Time to start running again.

Finished with some throws on the crash pad.

Bubble Boy said:
01-22-2006

Worked on my leg lock defense tonight because I keep getting subbed with that shit. I briefly watched this Sambo leg locks video the other day (thanks registered), and saw that they were "stuffing" the attempts as a defense. i.e., keeping close to the attacking person and pulling themselves in. Kimura pointed out the need to thrust the captured leg through.

Eric and Ordean are about the same size and strength and pretty evenly matched. Now Eric doesn't have us little guys to pick on any more!
Note: I gassed after just a few rolls. My CARDIO SUCKS!!! Time to start running again.

your leg and ankle lock defense was pretty good tonight, looks like that video u mentioned helped. all in all it was a nice session thanks for having me looking forward to coming by again after i get home from colorado

Bubble Boy said:
01-22-2006

I gassed after the first time. I need to start hitting the treadmill. I was think about going over to Mingus and using the track as well. Either that or go to SRRHS after work. Where did you go my Cardio?

kimura594 said:
my point was just that there are things to look out for in the transitions.judogido states that they isnt a possibility for counters well there is allways a possibility , things change drasticly when applied in lets say in a actual judo tornament as compared to just drilling in the dojo
Maybe I should have been clearer. You're right in that a technique cannot go from drilling to competition ready. It needs to be "pressure-tested" before it can be successfully applied in competition.

For this reason I giggle walking past some McDojos endlessly drilling various techniques into the air. I can perform a perfect seoi-nage every time in uchikomi but I only pull off maybe 1 in 5 in randori. Aaaah, realism.

MY point was that IF a technique IS done correctly you minimise/eliminate possibilities for counters, even in competition. I guarantee if BubbleBoy drills this pass endlessly, then drills it against a resisting opponent and in randori - there will be little chance of stopping him using this against you in a competition - let alone trying to counter with an omoplata.

The beauty is picking a technique apart will make someone aware of the opportunity for various counters so he can work to reduce or eliminate this weakness in the technique.

judogido said:
I guarantee if BubbleBoy drills this pass endlessly, then drills it against a resisting opponent and in randori - there will be little chance of stopping him using this against you in a competition - let alone trying to counter with an omoplata.
i guarantee it would never happen due to the fact that what i consider competitions and what u consider competitions are greatly different .he indeed is evenly matched with me on the ground in a sport aspect and he knows i respect his abilitys.

kimura594 said:
i guarantee it would never happen due to the fact that what i consider competitions and what u consider competitions are greatly different .he indeed is evenly matched with me on the ground in a sport aspect and he knows i respect his abilitys.
but in reality, you respect him more because of his pink boxers.

kimura594 said:
I'm a state-level judo player who has placed at nationals in the past. I go to a club with 2x Athens Judo competitors and numerous "ranked" players. I'm aiming to a top 5 finish at nationals this year (although realistically It's be more like top 10 or DNF considering how sucky my training is currently). I know what real competition is, believe me.

Let me tell you there are those competitors that have such good technique, that even if you know it is coming, you STILL cannot stop it. They dont land it EVERY time, but given the right opportunity they will go for it. But that level of ability comes at the price of endless drilling and hard "pressure tested" practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back