Judo will cripple you

For guys who have done judo: Would you do it over again?

Every damn time. Hitting a clean Ippon in a real match makes you feel like a total superhero. I liked it a lot until I got a 100% perfect De Ashi Barai one day in Randori (50% luck!) and he stared at me shocked from the floor while I stared at him shocked from my feet, at that point I was addicted. I will chase that hit for the rest of my life.

1. Don't try to avoid taking a fall once you're airborne
2. Learn to breakfall well
3. No drop throws

I think this "being crippled" from Judo is entirely preventable.
I agree, but you can't follow this advice if you want to continue winning. The main idea is that if you want to successfully compete in Judo, you'll destroy your body.

I think overall I got more benefit than loss from Judo. But I don't know if I would do it again, because the time could have been spent on something to help my career. Of course, you have no way of knowing which way you will go.

if it came down to BJJ or Judo, I would just with whatever available is best. You can be safe in Judo if you keep safety in mind.

I agree, but you can't follow this advice if you want to continue winning. The main idea is that if you want to successfully compete in Judo, you'll destroy your body.

True but not every needs to be a high level competitor.

That's very hard to say...knowing what I know now, and if it would change my life in no other way other than me not having Judo as a skill set, I would probably have chosen to wrestle in high school and then go directly to BJJ. If my choice was Judo or nothing, yes, I would do Judo again. But I think for someone starting out who has options, choose BJJ over Judo. Especially as the rule set of Judo has narrowed what most gyms practice considerably, Judo is becoming sportier and sportier and less connected to fighting. I suppose you could say that BJJ is going in the same direction, but taking out leg grabs and restricting groundwork and subs do the extent Judo has while emphasizing very sporty 100% gi reliant techniques would be like if BJJ said you couldn't play closed guard anymore, you had to play berimbolos and 50/50.

For quality of life, too, BJJ is just better than Judo. I'm not in constant pain from BJJ, I was from Judo.

I think you guys are soft and if you find judo hard you would probably die in a competitive wrestling environment and would probably be a bit soft for sambo aswell

I've wrestled competitively, and the training wasn't nearly as hard on the joints as Judo. The grip fighting in Judo and the high amplitude throws are what get you. Wrestling hurts, but the falls are from a lower level as a rule (you usually aren't getting lifted that high in the air before being taken down), and since you're not gripping cloth the hand fighting is a lot easier on your joints. The muscular toll of the two was comparable, both are extremely taxing from a muscular and cardio standpoint. Plus you have shoes in wrestling, and as anyone who's ever broken toes doing Judo (which is a lot of us) can tell you, that's a big help.

It really amuses/annoys me when wrestlers act like they're the only ones who are in good shape. If you want to compare scholarship athletes with recreational club judoka go ahead, of course the wrestlers will be in better shape, but if you think Olympic wrestlers are in better shape than Olympic judoka you're an idiot. They're all in incredible shape, and they all train incredibly hard.

As for Sambo, I've done very little but what I have trained it seemed comparable to Judo in terms of how much it hurt your hands, back, etc.

Every damn time. Hitting a clean Ippon in a real match makes you feel like a total superhero. I liked it a lot until I got a 100% perfect De Ashi Barai one day in Randori (50% luck!) and he stared at me shocked from the floor while I stared at him shocked from my feet, at that point I was addicted. I will chase that hit for the rest of my life.

I can imagine how awesome that must feel. I'm not sure there's anything in BJJ that can match that, and I love BJJ.

That's very hard to say...knowing what I know now, and if it would change my life in no other way other than me not having Judo as a skill set, I would probably have chosen to wrestle in high school and then go directly to BJJ. If my choice was Judo or nothing, yes, I would do Judo again. But I think for someone starting out who has options, choose BJJ over Judo. Especially as the rule set of Judo has narrowed what most gyms practice considerably, Judo is becoming sportier and sportier and less connected to fighting. I suppose you could say that BJJ is going in the same direction, but taking out leg grabs and restricting groundwork and subs do the extent Judo has while emphasizing very sporty 100% gi reliant techniques would be like if BJJ said you couldn't play closed guard anymore, you had to play berimbolos and 50/50.

For quality of life, too, BJJ is just better than Judo. I'm not in constant pain from BJJ, I was from Judo.

Nice response. I asked the question partly for my kids' sake, because I want to encourage them to do BJJ, wrestle, judo, etc., as they get older. But since I'm really only familiar with training BJJ, I want to know what they would be getting into.

Never any serious injuries from years of Judo and wrestling, but less than two years into BJJ and I tore my ACL from doing a fucking scissors sweep.

David Baron, MMA fighter and former judo practitioner also said he had a lot of physical issues when training and fighting in judo, and when he came to MMA, he realized that it was way less brutal.
He said that a problem with judo is that you always have the same stance, half bent, bad for the back.
And other things, like you said, with gripping and all this

Nice response. I asked the question partly for my kids' sake, because I want to encourage them to do BJJ, wrestle, judo, etc., as they get older. But since I'm really only familiar with training BJJ, I want to know what they would be getting into.

I actually think Judo is great for kids...they just aren't strong enough for a lot of the joint issues to become a problem. They don't throw as hard and they don't grip fight much, so there's just a lot less injury. I think Judo only gets damaging when you get to be a little older and stronger.

Fist to Face....from your "location"......."Attending an anti-Israeli occupation rally"

What does it mean?

I actually think Judo is great for kids...they just aren't strong enough for a lot of the joint issues to become a problem. They don't throw as hard and they don't grip fight much, so there's just a lot less injury. I think Judo only gets damaging when you get to be a little older and stronger.

Recently we have had kids training at the gym and I do feel Judo is great for them. Though we are a BJJ academy we do teach BJJ 95% of the time. But when we work on tachi waza from my POV the kids pay more attention and get the techniques well.

I always cringe everytime I see a 8 year old doing a submission luckily instructors keep very close watch on the kids to make sure no accidents happen.

Having practice judo for a bit I find it gets damaging when two guys are fully resisting without trying to give up the takedown some injuries happen. Saw one guy bust up his knee for a year because he refuse to give up the takedown and he injured himself by wrapping his leg on the leg of his opponent mid throw and his knee snapped.

Judo kills the body when you're around 16-24 everyone always wanna "compete" and play around hard and ends up someone with a tear. I recently bruised my ribs cause some idiot wanna do a harai goshi and wanna drop his weight on me in mid air.

LOL @ necroing a 7 year old thread. But on a side-note, I sprained my ankle again doing Judo... no biggie. But I'm noticing now that I'm in my mid-30's I'm not healing as well as I used to.

When I was in high school, this injury would be gone in a week. I'm on my second month and I'm still not back to practice. Getting old sucks...

This is why most of the injuries happen in the lower belts, because just like BJJ white/blue belts they try to fix any gap with gratuitous strength and sometimes end up in bad, bad situations because of it. White to Green is by far the most dangerous time, I find that most senior Browns through Black belts have learned that Randori is Randori and it's not worth 3 months of physical therapy to avoid one throw in practice. This is why you seen 60+ y/o black belts still looking great, because they overcame ego and took the falls they had coming and let go of the throws they were never going to get. They also practice with other black belts and have learned the proper fear of white belts. Seriously, I am more at risk of getting injured with a noob than an Olympian. I don't think I have ever, ever seen an injury from a throw properly performed on a person who accepted it an did their Ukemi.

I definitely agree with this. My dad's turning 70 this year and he still grabs people to work out. In coaching high school Judo, he grabbed one of the larger brown belts. He stumbled him with a few foot sweeps, but afterwards he said that if he wanted to throw him, he would of regretted it afterwards.

Sometimes it's not that you can't avoid a throw or get your throw. But for us older Judoka there's definitely a price paid if you're determined to make a point. Yeah you might put a younger Judoka on their back to prove a point, but tomorrow they'll be fine and you'll be the one suffering.

I tried judo for a while at age 30 and decided the physical cost was too high. I took years of jarring football hits, but the high impact of intense judo was something else entirely.

Judo kills the body when you're around 16-24 everyone always wanna "compete" and play around hard and ends up someone with a tear. I recently bruised my ribs cause some idiot wanna do a harai goshi and wanna drop his weight on me in mid air.

i was rolling with this guy visiting my gym from germany. Bjorn Schmiedelberg. somethin like that. hes RespectFC champ.

he did that same thing to me landed on my. like a jumping harai i guess you could call it.
i wanted to die

Back