Judo will cripple you

If your grip is tight with your pinkie finger as the tightest area of the hand, then you can hold on to just about any break attempt. If my opponent motions like he is going to continue ot keep jerking his sleeve until it breaks I usually let it go as he pulls and follow through with sweep or shoulder wheel.

Me = 6 years of Judo.
Injuries from judo: several broken ribs, broken left thumb, dislocated left pinky toe (that was FUGLY), micro-fracture of the left tibia accompainied by a bruised femor and sprained ligaments, torn miniscus of the right knee, not to mention the constant bruises, sprains, and achey muscles each week.
It's been tough on my body so far, and I'm only half way (rank-wise) to a black belt.

Im 17 and been doing BJJ for 3 years and I've never been seriously hurt...not once.

The only times I have been hurt (not seriously) when I get choked and dont wanna tap..so i pass out..thats happened 3 times already..now I just tap

Bubble Boy said:
Me = 6 years of Judo.
Injuries from judo: several broken ribs, broken left thumb, dislocated left pinky toe (that was FUGLY), micro-fracture of the left tibia accompainied by a bruised femor and sprained ligaments, torn miniscus of the right knee, not to mention the constant bruises, sprains, and achey muscles each week.
It's been tough on my body so far, and I'm only half way (rank-wise) to a black belt.

Holy crap, that is insane.

Fist To FACE said:
Holy crap, that is insane.

Yea but Bubble Boy is kind of a wimp.:wink:

I've only been doing it for 4 months and I sprained my knee, jammed my thumb, and hurt my hands choking Bubble Boy out over and over again. Plus lots of bruises and mat burn

My sensei has the exact same ailments as you. He has been a judoka all of his life, as was his father.

uh..... i've been doing it for 3 months, and the worst i've gotten is a totally thrashed neck (it lasted for 4 days). Now i think bout it, my fingers are pretty damn stiff. I guess i'm lucky in that i haven't got any serious injuries yet (knock on wood).

Fist To FACE said:
There is like only one or two throws which you dont need a grip. (morotegari, etc). Generally if you dont grip the guy, your usually end up getting thrown into space.

There are quite a few more throws that can be done without the gi. If you want to see a good demonstration on No gi Judo, I suggest you check out Karo Parysian's Judo for MMA dvd.

most common causes to injury are: overtraining, poor nutrition, overzealous behavior, suckiness, and stupidity.

I think he's talking about doing no-gi grips WHILE wearing the gi. If you don't grab your opponent's gi, but he grabs yours, then you are obviously at a disadvantage.

QingTian said:
most common causes to injury are: overtraining, poor nutrition, overzealous behavior, suckiness, and stupidity.

So, denial works good for you then?

ordean said:
Yea but Bubble Boy is kind of a wimp.:wink:

I've only been doing it for 4 months and I sprained my knee, jammed my thumb, and hurt my hands choking Bubble Boy out over and over again. Plus lots of bruises and mat burn

:eek:

We are going to start video taping our grappling sessions.

:wink:

QingTian said:

That, and getting thrown to a mat 20x a night, 3x a week for over a decade.

It's true. I'm an older guy and last year when I was trying to decide between studying judo and studying bjj, one of the many factors that made me choose bjj was the higher potential for injury in judo.

We've got a judo guy who trains with us once a week. He says that jiu jitsu is more rigorous physically, but judo definitely takes a harder toll on your body.

Sure. I have heard the ole aches and pains from this and that yet 'they' still get out there at 55 and fight it out with some tuff young ones. You will get 'injuries' from being sedentary as well.

You will have aches and pains regardless. Even the top guys in their prime do. It won't stop you from smokin some fella at the club and then going home and listening to another 55 year old talking like you are some psycho at 55 and 'wrestling'. He plays golf....with you.

Each one only knows what is worth it and, Bubbleboy for instance, can make it clear that they love combat whenever.

Also that second vid of some guy getting seoi'd on his head is the most painful I have seen.A couple pages back. I will refresh for those who havent saw. There are two vids on the post.

Back