Judo will cripple you

I think you guys are soft and if you find judo hard you would probably die in a competitive wrestling environment and would probably be a bit soft for sambo aswell

I wrestled for 8 years. tough as hell. but i wouldnt belittle judo training like that. my buddy trains with the San jose state competition team. ive watched their trainings and did some of their workouts, theyre tough as fuck

i was rolling with this guy visiting my gym from germany. Bjorn Schmiedelberg. somethin like that. hes RespectFC champ.

he did that same thing to me landed on my. like a jumping harai i guess you could call it.
i wanted to die

frank-mir-harai-goshi-roy-nelson-judo-ufc-130.gif

You've got no choice sometimes, if you really put your all into the throw.

As someone who jacked up their left knee last month from a Te-guruma gone wrong I appreciate this thread.

In 3 1/2 years (Green belt) of doing Judo, the only major injuries I've suffered are a sprained ankle and the aforementioned sprained knee which is really not too bad.

I do both, but I understand why people prefer to do BJJ over Judo. It's repetitive, painful, tiring, and dangerous, but I love it.

You make me want to stop training, at least in the gi. Haha, Eddie Bravo, where you at?!

I actually think Judo is great for kids...they just aren't strong enough for a lot of the joint issues to become a problem. They don't throw as hard and they don't grip fight much, so there's just a lot less injury. I think Judo only gets damaging when you get to be a little older and stronger.

My four year old is training judo, and it's great for them. Little kids don't weigh anything and their joints are super-elastic, so they don't get injured the same way a stiff 200 pound guy does when he gets thrown hard for ippon.

It's simple physics, it reminds me of an anecdote I read in a book discussing how size correlates with biology: Drop a mouse down a 300 foot well, it scampers away unharmed. Drop a man down, and he will be broken. Drop a horse down, it splashes. Moral of the story, impact doesn't increase linear with weight, it increases exponentially. Not only does a bigger guy fall harder, he falls disproportionately harder relative to his size.

My latest gift from Judy. Dislocation and a Bosworth fracture on the right leg/ankle.
IMG_20130310_160314_zpsd200d527.jpg
What hurt worse was than the injury was the doc resetting the ankle the second time....still not knowing about the broken bone...

Judo..it fucking hurts.

I was very lucky with Judo compared to most of you. I practiced and competed (probably 10 - 15 tournies a year) for 4 or 5 years. The biggest injury I ever had was when someone was afraid to fall when they were brand new. I was going nice and easy with a live toe throw and the guy bounced around and dropped his 240 lb body on my calf snapping up all my toes and breaking them. The big toe still looks ugly now but it feels fine.

I saw so many guys tear knees, dislocate shoulders, etc. Many times it was the more flexible guys who would try to twist and turn out of stuff mid air and land on a shoulder or something. Luckily for me I am about as flexible as a cinder block and just land the correct way. I was never able to twist or flow out of stuff mid-throw. If I was going I was going.

I did pretty good over the years. Placed in a few pretty good local tournies that get people from a few states around, but never did that well in the big national tournaments that got people from all around.

I stuck with BJJ though and think if I ever had a lot of free time, maybe I'd cross train and go to one of the local judo places and maybe just compete in a few small local tournaments.

With 5 years of judo and 5 of wrestling behind me I am fortunate that my a above injury is the only one...although the timing fucking sucks. Would have been easier to take it in my teens as opposed to my 30s

For the conscientious non-competitive athlete, Judo is definitely safer than wrestling. That's because if you're focused on reducing your injuries, the rules of Judo will protect you whereas the rules of wrestling will not. Example: Your opponent gets rewarded only if you land on your BACK which has almost no risk of injury even from a hard throw. The worst that's ever happened is sore back muscles. But in wrestling it doesn't matter where you land, it can be forward with your hands all tied up. Also, wrestling is fast, scrambly, and pure wrestlers don't have BJJ awareness about which joint is about to be accidentally broken. I also heard a lot of people complain about twisted fingers in Judo -- how about, never grip extremely hard at any point in time; keep it moderate, and if a giant guy with huge hands is trying to break your grip you should obviously let go.

In only a few months, in my wrestling club we've had a shoulder torn out of socket and another guy's elbow torn out of socket. I also slightly injured my ankle which lasted 3 weeks, due to being the victim of an awkward lateral drop which twisted my leg before I landed. In 2.5 years of Judo I've never seen any injury of that scale.

So yeah, competitive Judo is indeed dangerous. But casual Judo is way safer than casual wrestling; in my opinion, it is just as safe as casual BJJ!

I'm only 23 years old -- is my body not telling me the full story, and that there is some "invisible" way that I'm becoming crippled that I won't feel until 50? I always thought, chronic pain will warn us of bad things to come, but one old guy told me that when I get to a certain age things will just randomly start hurting out of nowhere that I never even realized were injured. Can getting thrown on your back repeatedly REALLY be bad for you if the only symptom is muscle achiness for a day? I've heard multiple sources that the impact, as long as controlled, is actually HEALTHY for the body's circulation. What is your experience, old guys?

Last edited:
But the original thread was not "injuries while practicing" but injuries in time!
Like back problems, sore fingers,...
Injuries while training are too much of luck to judge on that

Torn meniscus, right leg (now don't have one in that leg)
bursitis
dislocated left knee, had the kneecap bone pointing almost completely the wrong way
re-dislocated that knee twice more, got to where I'd just pop it back in and hop off the mat "see ya in two weeks coach"
torn mcl
torn lcl in other leg
lots of broken toes, stopped keeping count
2 broken fingers
4 or so of my fingers ache when it's cold, and one of them doesn't like to bend
arthritis of the neck, probably arthritis soon in the knee without a meniscus

I'm in my mid-late 20s. Trying to be a judo competitor toughened me up like nothing else, but... yeah.

Haha that's what my dad preaches to me, he wants me to quit! That being said I have been out of work for 3 weeks with a broken foot from judo... but I can't wait to get back on the mats :icon_twis

I have to agree to a certain extent. I did judo all throughout high school. I was very competitive and trained hard every day. I had virtually no injuries other than a single incident when someone hyperextended my knee trying to throw me in practice. I went back to Judo at the age of 24, at a very competitive gym loaded with brown and black belts. I was in great shape at the time, probably in better shape than most high school athletes. Within my second week at that school, I nearly blew out my knee because I didn't want to get thrown over some guy's seoi nage. I had to hobble around for the next couple of days, and my knee wasn't back to 100% for almost 1 month. Thankfully I wasn't permanently injured, but that experience really woke me up to how this sport is dangerous and very hard on your body. I also realized that this may not be the safest sport for me because I like to go hard at every practice and I'm competitive even when sparring in class, which can cause you to get really hurt trying not to get iponed. Oh well, I love grappling and I'll continue to do so as long as my body allows me to.

I know some really great Judokas. I know many national champions and a few Olympians.

They all are fine.

What we all agree on is, ego in the dojo will get you hurt--bad. One of them always says, "I decided years ago to keep it playful. That's why I can still play today."

I humbly suggest he's better than anyone on this board. His name is Mitchell Palacio. He was my first coach.

Judo can be practiced in longevity if you don't practice like you're at Worlds.

Just sayin'.

Wrestlers do get more injured due to not knowing their joint is bout to pop or torn. My friend pop his elbow while doing a switch.

So, I should have read this thread years ago...instead of taking up Judo last year at age 36.

No judo injuries yet!

Now, BJJ injuries, that i can talk about. And football injuries. And wrestling injuries. And skateboarding injuries.

Gripping the gi alone is enough to give you arthritis ? damn... isn't there any way to avoid it ?

Yes, training the extensors and doing contrast baths to speed up healing and decrease inflammation.

Back