Judo or Jiu jitsu?

Crosstrain Judo and wrestling.. You'll be beastmode at slams.

That's too bad, most of the judoka I know have nothing against bjj and are all up for cross-training.

Yeah thats something me and you have never encountered in anyclub around here, judoka are more willing to cross train as in judo its better to go to other clubs and train its a sign of respect and encouraged to better yourself , while in bjj some clubs dont allow to work with other clubs .

Of all the bjj guys that have came to are club i have never seen them dominate anyone over a green belt . The most thing i find is the bjj guy trying to slow the fight down and eventually gassing under 2 mins because judokas on the ground are so fast paced ( due too us having to work fast for subs or pins)

I think the perfect example is chris at are club he trained bjj for so many years and then started judo ( brown belt now) and he has the perfect balance but does everything with the speed of judo so on the ground he has the patience of bjj but the speed and aggresivness of judo which i think if you have the time and money to take both do it all its gonna do is make you more balanced .

Whats funny is watching a bjj guy fight cyril(over 40 judoka black belt that seems to know everything) at the club that guy is scary man .

Although I do agree that a Judo guy can better adjust to a BJJ gym or a wrestling gym quicker than either of those other two guys could transition between the others, an it's the ame reason that Dave Camarillo ame in and said a few weeks ago. Judo gives you a physical/mental/spiritual base of drive/will/heart/strength/determination that NO other martial art does.

That's because Dave started in all three first, right? Oh wait, he did 10-20 years of judo before starting BJJ. That certainly doesn't color his experience... :rolleyes: My main issue with most judoka who post on the internet is that they see judo as "the way" instead of "a way." There is nothing wrong with their love of judo, but they should understand that there are other ways of achieving that "spiritual" base too.

That's because Dave started in all three first, right? Oh wait, he did 10-20 years of judo before starting BJJ. That certainly doesn't color his experience... :rolleyes: My main issue with most judoka who post on the internet is that they see judo as "the way" instead of "a way." There is nothing wrong with their love of judo, but they should understand that there are other ways of achieving that "spiritual" base too.

Actually I don't know many judoka who see judo as a spiritual base ... some of the old timers do, and they constantly complain that younger folks (including my generation :icon_chee) have turned judo into a sport.

One thing I notice is that I see much more trash talk (though less all the time) on the internet than in person. Face to face most of what I see between judo guys and BJJ'ers is respect. Probably the nature of the internet, and it makes me wonder if most of the guys trash talking on the net are beginners in both.

I woulda suggested that you re-read my post thru the bottom of a bottle but that response was just fine.:icon_lol:

Just trying to weed out more honesty, thats all. Thanks.:)

So we cool bro?

(It's funny I'vebeen speaking to Karo over the phone for the past week or so, and I end up saying bro now without realizing it. It's pretty funny)

He said he teches privates to Kevin James (the comedian) and Jessica Biel. Both names suprised me a lot. I said if you are short on time you can just schedule me in a double lesson and I can work in with Jessica. :icon_lol:

Honestly Frodo, I see it all as "a way". I actually have a Ninjutsu background under Stephen K. Hayes and didn't learn any Judo until 2001 when I went to main to train with his senior student John Poliquin who's a high-ranking Judo guy just because he did a Uchimata/Hane Goshi hybriid and I was like HOW DO I DO THAT????

It went from there.

But honestlyy, now BJJ is my base and "the way" for me. But it's all "a way" to get what wewant out of life. I'll now add the so over-used IMHO of course. ;)

P.S. I'm also aware that once you got to "my main issue with judoka..." you may not have been speaking to me...

Thanks for the PM too. You're a stand up guy.

And where's farmer BOB? I'm waiting for him to e-break my arm!

How about this? Use both. I am BJJ brown belt and I use a lot of judo in my game. It is all about weaving both together to fit your style of play.

Cross train every effective grappling art. However why not try Judo, then mix it with Sambo if you can find a real practitioner. Just a different way of looking at it.

Yeah thats something me and you have never encountered in anyclub around here, judoka are more willing to cross train as in judo its better to go to other clubs and train its a sign of respect and encouraged to better yourself , while in bjj some clubs dont allow to work with other clubs .

Of all the bjj guys that have came to are club i have never seen them dominate anyone over a green belt . The most thing i find is the bjj guy trying to slow the fight down and eventually gassing under 2 mins because judokas on the ground are so fast paced ( due too us having to work fast for subs or pins)

I think the perfect example is chris at are club he trained bjj for so many years and then started judo ( brown belt now) and he has the perfect balance but does everything with the speed of judo so on the ground he has the patience of bjj but the speed and aggresivness of judo which i think if you have the time and money to take both do it all its gonna do is make you more balanced .

Whats funny is watching a bjj guy fight cyril(over 40 judoka black belt that seems to know everything) at the club that guy is scary man .

That's cause he tries to kill you, damn cyril is nuts man. Nothings off limits with him.

So we cool bro?

(It's funny I'vebeen speaking to Karo over the phone for the past week or so, and I end up saying bro now without realizing it. It's pretty funny)

He said he teches privates to Kevin James (the comedian) and Jessica Biel. Both names suprised me a lot. I said if you are short on time you can just schedule me in a double lesson and I can work in with Jessica. :icon_lol:

you know karo? that's cool man, where do you know him from? Jessica biel is hot, and apparently can kick ass too if she's workin with karo haha.

...Probably the nature of the internet, and it makes me wonder if most of the guys trash talking on the net are beginners in both...

So true. It irritates me because 99% of these people are the lowest on the foodchain in the dojo yet they have the nerve to start arguing with people online.

Call me an elitistic fuck, I don't care.

That's cause he tries to kill you, damn cyril is nuts man. Nothings off limits with him.

i did the no gi grappling the other day at jasons club iam gonna do it on tuesday too ithink its fun makes me want to do bjj even more , iam actually thinking of doing it the start of june actually .

haha it took me two rounds and two rnc to get me in no gi mode haha . i find passing guard harder for some reason without the gi haha i was grabbing this by instinct it was funny . .

So true. It irritates me because 99% of these people are the lowest on the foodchain in the dojo yet they have the nerve to start arguing with people online.

Call me an elitistic fuck, I don't care.

I hope this wasn't about me, because I've never had an e-argument or e-fight in my whole internet experience. I just had a dislocated arm from an armbar and came home from the hospital to a guy telling me that he goes for the BREAK everytime he armbars, and ZI got a little too heated in my post. Sorry if I offended anyone. I love everyone, even FarmerBob! :icon_chee

i did the no gi grappling the other day at jasons club iam gonna do it on tuesday too ithink its fun makes me want to do bjj even more , iam actually thinking of doing it the start of june actually .

haha it took me two rounds and two rnc to get me in no gi mode haha . i find passing guard harder for some reason without the gi haha i was grabbing this by instinct it was funny . .

lol I find passing a bit harder but mostly everything applies, body pressure, under hooks etc. I'll have to come out sometimes when I'm better. I can do groundwork now, but jason's club has horrible times for me. I have piano 8-9 on tues day and guitar 7-8 on thursday :icon_conf.

I hope this wasn't about me, because I've never had an e-argument or e-fight in my whole internet experience. I just had a dislocated arm from an armbar and came home from the hospital to a guy telling me that he goes for the BREAK everytime he armbars, and ZI got a little too heated in my post. Sorry if I offended anyone. I love everyone, even FarmerBob! :icon_chee

I wasn't thinking of you when I made my comment - if you read Sherdog, mma.tv, or judoinfo regularly you'll get an idea of what I mean.

lol I find passing a bit harder but mostly everything applies, body pressure, under hooks etc. I'll have to come out sometimes when I'm better. I can do groundwork now, but jason's club has horrible times for me. I have piano 8-9 on tues day and guitar 7-8 on thursday :icon_conf.

yuck , that sucks . thats like titans for me it starts at 6 30 i get off work at 6 15 if i decide to go i'll be late sometimes i just hope they dont mind tardyness.

As a practitioner of both judo and a BJJ, I disagree. Only a very few judo clubs approach the submission skills taught in most BJJ clubs. I've been submitting shodans and above since I was a white belt in BJJ. Judo is not as well-rounded as you think.

This might be your personal exeriance but i managed to sweep and armbar a bjj bluebelt as a judo brownbelt (with about 3 months of no-gi) when he came to visit my judo club. From the bluebelts ive seen, most are about low shodan level at newaza, some more some less. But to be fair my club does spend alot of time on the ground and I have seen some shodans who have been very strong at tachiwaza but terrible at newaza.

One thing I notice is that I see much more trash talk (though less all the time) on the internet than in person. Face to face most of what I see between judo guys and BJJ'ers is respect. Probably the nature of the internet, and it makes me wonder if most of the guys trash talking on the net are beginners in both.

Undoubtedly true. A proficient practioner would be secure in himself.

Back