Judo or Jiu jitsu?

In my experience, and from talking to people with similar experiences, judo is harder on the body than bjj. I did judo for a few weeks, and got my knee jacked up because I was being thrown before I was completely comfortable with breakfalls. I talked to people who had similar experiences, and they had made the switch to bjj. When my knee got better, I tried bjj, and I've been doing it for 6 months now with little more than the occasional sore joint. I'm sure that judo is great fun once you become comfortable falling, but I didn't like getting thrown. If you already have decent takedowns, I would do bjj. Just my 2 pennies

I agree on the Judo first. Learning to throw offensively is a fantastic skill and you'll also be able to build a solid foundation for groundwork.

Also, since you wrestle, you'll really like the rough-and-tumble. Our club has tripled enrollment this semester because I've made it a point to recruit old wrestlers and football players. It'll be right up your alley.

BJJ is fantastic as well. Although we roll quite a bit at my school, we don't spend the entire time doing so. Being able to drill specifics (passes, locks, chokes) is ridiculously beneficial. Plus, you'll have the added benefit of learning lower body locks and spinal manipulations.

I studied Jujitsu before I started playing Judo and if I could label my Judo style, it's Kosen all the way.

But, make no mistake, there is nothing more dominating, devastating, and straight-up bad ass than being able to offensively throw anybody, anywhere, any time you want.

If you are already an excellent wrestler, I would take BJJ. You already have an excellent takedown system in place.

But, make no mistake, there is nothing more dominating, devastating, and straight-up bad ass than being able to offensively throw anybody, anywhere, any time you want.

Which judo won't give you. Nothing gives you that. Don't be a fanatic.

Hello everyone. I am intersted in joining a gym. The problem is that i dont know if i should do jiu jitsu or judo? Could someone explain tto me the common characteristics and diffrences in the 2 sports.

P.S.- i am a folkstyle wrestler. Would ethier of the 2 benefit more?

thanks for ur time

Judo...

Personally, I just really dig throwing people. I mean, I fucking get off on it. Couldn't really tell you why. For me, its inherently more fun than subing someone or even knocking them out. I have to fight running around grinning like a psycho when I am really throwing well.

Try it... can be addictive.

He's a troll. Never met an actual judoka who claims that he can throw anyone ... including olympic medalists.

Yea judofarmerbob is the same guy that says everytime he gooes for an armbar he goes fo the BREAK EVERYTIME!

He's a troll. Never met an actual judoka who claims that he can throw anyone ... including olympic medalists.
It is possible, with a huge gap in size, strength and skill. I learned it the hard way when I started judo myself. Nonetheless, even without that, judo is pretty violent, hence fun. I never tried BJJ though, so I can't really recommend any over the other, but I'm pretty sure if you enjoyed wrestling, you'll enjoy judo.

Anyway, I've heard that BJJ actually descend from judo, not from TJJ. Surely there must be a lot of common points.

generalization. i'm not the best judoka in the world. not even close.

judo throw > pulling guard

and yeah drew, you're trying to break the arm when you're armbarring somebody. that's how that works.

and yeah drew, you're trying to break the arm when you're armbarring somebody. that's how that works.

On your first point: Wrong. It's actually this throw =/= pulling guard
On your second point: What the heck kind of gym to you go to? That is, most certainly, not how "it" works.

On your first point: Wrong. It's actually this throw =/= pulling guard
On your second point: What the heck kind of gym to you go to? That is, most certainly, not how "it" works.

Please explain the portion in bold.

OMG what a noob. Your generalizations aren't even true. What does pulling guard have to do with anything? And when you're armbarring someone, in practice you shouldn't try to break it. An armbar can just as easily screw up ligaments as a heel hook if you go nuts with it. Not every punch is a knockout punch. Or do you train to kill people with one strike too? Just because you are saying you aren't close to being the best, doesn't mean you think you're "all that" in your mind, which you act like.

as a wrestler id say bjj. im probably going to start bjj soon... somewhere in la unless i cant find anything north. anyways, judo is too familiar, and seems like the "weaker" of the grappling forms (if you have been wrestling)

as a wrestler id say bjj. im probably going to start bjj soon... somewhere in la unless i cant find anything north. anyways, judo is too familiar, and seems like the "weaker" of the grappling forms (if you have been wrestling)

wrestlers don't count in this.:D

I'm a wrestler and throwing people can be pretty addicting and fun. BJJ can be a real pain in the ass where nothing happens.

Back