Jones's 13" reach advantage over Cormier

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Jone's has a 13" (6.5" per arm) reach advantage over DC and that is significant. I always thought that Jones should really have a great jab to work behind but if I recall he's never really had one. He does a lot of low kicks and other strikes but not a ton of really good jabbing. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I think DC has decent striking but nothing great. He does have some power though. DC said he wants to get inside on Jones and that's where he'll win. Well, easier said then done. Many other fighters have tried and all have failed.

I don't see DC getting past Jones's reach and see Jones keeping DC on the outside and if Jones wants to get up close to DC he will. Whether or not Jones can impose his will on DC in the clinch is unknown. I see Jones winning by UD.

Anyone else think that DC won't be able to get past Jones's reach?

"13 inches is a wide load to handle, I won't treat you gently." - Dirk Diggler

Yeah, it's a pretty big advantage for Jon Jones in kicking range, even the outside of punching range, being able to throw elbows almost like punches, knees almost like kicks. It's even greater than anything Cormier ever faced at heavyweight. Jones is pretty good in the clinch too. It's a tough fight for Cormier. He probably wins a round, maybe two. Scores a few take downs, lands a few punches. But Jones will out point him.

Sherdoggers are delusional and don't realize reach and height are always a massive advantage in this sport. It will become more apparent in coming decades. It doesn't mean youre not skilled just because you can use that advantage.

Cormier has his own tools being stocky and strong as fuck.

Almost all of DC's opponents have huge reach advantages on him. If he made it thus far I think he can deal with it to a point.

DC is pretty quick and good at covering distance but hes been doing it against guys who frankly, just arent very fast. I mean Roy Nelson, Frank Mir, Big Foot, Josh Barnett... These arent exactly Olympic sprinters.

Not to say Jones is the quickest fighter in the sport or even at LHW, but hes lighting in a bottle compared to DCs past comp.

So i think DC will have some success covering distance but i think this looks a lot like the Evans fight with Jones ultimately controlling the distance and bullying DC from range

Reach means next to nothing at the highest level

Almost all of DC's opponents have huge reach advantages on him. If he made it thus far I think he can deal with it to a point.

But nobody that Cormier has ever fought used their reach and are slow....Jones does and is great at it. It will become very apparent to Cormier once he receives his first kick to the knee.

I think he will be able to get past the reach a few times, but one scenario people haven't really thought of is if Cormier can't take Jones down. Cormier isn't the most diverse or powerful striker Jones has faced, so if Cormier is stuck on the feet with Jon and only manages to get past the reach a couple of times, it will be a long night for DC.

But this is MMA and that is only a scenario, so I have no idea how the fight will transpire and who will win.

DC is pretty quick and good at covering distance but hes been doing it against guys who frankly, just arent very fast. I mean Roy Nelson, Frank Mir, Big Foot, Josh Barnett... These arent exactly Olympic sprinters.

Not to say Jones is the quickest fighter in the sport or even at LHW, but hes lighting in a bottle compared to DCs past comp.

So i think DC will have some success covering distance but i think this looks a lot like the Evans fight with Jones ultimately controlling the distance and bullying DC from range

DC is so much better than Rashad though. and more consistent. Damn that Alba ass pic never goes out of style btw.

I agree some people are undermining how much of an advantage that is.

It's hard to imagine Cormier can consistently close the gap in a 5 round fight without eating a steady amount of punishment. I just see Cormier getting kept on the outside and just getting worn down. I could see him having success early in the fight, but I don't see him going Cain Velazquez and rag dolling Jones(although that would be glorious to see). Jones via decision

Its not a problem....until it is and then DC is probably fucked.

That's just completely not true. How can a reach advantage not be an advantage thats just insane.

almost all successful fighters have above average limbs

Jones has to worry about Cormier getting in close as much as Cormier has to worry about Jones keeping him at distance.

We will have all of these answers in 82 short hours !

yeah, it could be like most of Jones' fights. The opponents' can deal with it when they're fresh but as the fight wears on, the advantage will be more and more apparent as speed and stamina go down but the longer limbs are still longer limbs.

I think he will be able to get past the reach a few times, but one scenario people haven't really thought of is if Cormier can't take Jones down. Cormier isn't the most diverse or powerful striker Jones has faced, so if Cormier is stuck on the feet with Jon and only manages to get past the reach a couple of times, it will be a long night for DC.

But this is MMA and that is only a scenario, so I have no idea how the fight will transpire and who will win.

Thats exactly how i see it playing out. Jones doesnt have to be the better wrestler, he just has to be good enough to stop the majority of TD attempts. If he can do that, he'll bust DC up on the feet

Jones doesn't have power in his punches so Cormier will walk through that reach advantage without a care in the world for a takedown. DC does have to watch out for Bones' elbows, but Daniel's arm reach are longer than Jon's elbow range.

Reach is an advantage and disadvantage at this level. It is all a give and take.
As a side note: ufc does wingspan which includes back. They should do armpit to fingertips, IMO.

hand weight is key. lets see em put those mitts on a scale

ps- plus hunger. i want to hear whose belly grumbles the loudest. might move the line around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back