Jones's 13" reach advantage over Cormier

I thought reach and height didn't matter

Reach means next to nothing at the highest level

So you're saying when all else is near-equal, and the disparity is very small..... a natural advantage is null?

BS. Unlike those guys, Jones actually has a chin. He also has much better footwork and defense. And Overeem and especially Struve both have huge reaches (Struve is just as long as Jones in the reach department, Overeem is slightly below them @ 80") and are just as tall (Overeem) or much taller (Struve) than Jones, so that pretty much negates your argument.

Hong Man Choi vs fedor

Exactly. What posters who don't know anything about striking, which is 90% of posters, don't realize is that, with long arms, it takes even longer to return your hands to a neutral position to defend yourself, which means that you're leaving more space than the average person to get countered.

That's why a guy like Struve gets KO'd brutally by guys with short arms. I know "HE DOESN'T USE HIS REACH" but he actually does; it's his footwork that sucks

Yet if a fighter has good footwork reach matters.

And Struve also throw flying knees

9a04dj.gif

I thought reach and height didn't matter

So you're saying when all else is near-equal, and the disparity is very small..... a natural advantage is null?

With all things equal or near equal....Reach and height are extremely valuable and potentially the most important tools in striking even over weight.

Remember that thread about how Jones is actually one of the smallest LHW's?

20141117061045_5D3_8830.JPG

Yeah, Jones is a fucking tiny LHW. With his 13" reach advantage, half a foot of additional height and nearly identical walk around weight to the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix Winner and a UFC ex-heavyweight.

Rich Franklin said it best. When he first met Jon Jones he thought he was the brand new HW prospect and didn't believe anyone when they said he was a LHW.

I have to agree. A 13" reach advantage for a guy that has proven he knows how to use it is a big f'ing deal.

DC has to win this early using his speed and power, because if he starts to slow down at all he's going to get pelted at distance and denied entry into grappling range.

Bolded part is key. Reach is like any other physical aspect, from Cormiers strength to GSPs athleticism to BJ Penns flexibility. Physical attributes need to be utilized properly to be an advantage, and the top fighters generally use whatever aspects they have because they recognize them and learn to adapt them into their strategies. A guy like Melvin Guillard could very well be the most physically gifted fighter in his division, but that means nothing if you can't use your attributes effectively. If Jones had 1 punch KO power and less reach, his game plans would be different. That isn't to say he wouldn't be as successful or not more so. We simply don't know.

reach doesn't mean only arm length... if his shoulders are wider, that adds inches also...

Sherdoggers are delusional and don't realize reach and height are always a massive advantage in this sport. It will become more apparent in coming decades. It doesn't mean youre not skilled just because you can use that advantage.

Cormier has his own tools being stocky and strong as fuck.

I agree with your reach and height being massive advantage. But I also believe jones can out muscle Cormier, due to leverage and jones has a huge upper body he's as build as all the big guys at lhw

Jone's has a 13" (6.5" per arm) reach advantage over DC and that is significant.

You do understand that 13" of reach does not necessarily mean each of his arms are 6.5" longer, right?

Look how long his legs are also, huge advantage and he knows how to use them.

Oh right, so now the OP has to calculate the reach of 1 arm + 1 leg. I still don't know why he measured the reach that way.

Every one of DC's HW opponents had reach/height/size/weight advantages, and they ended up losing just the same.

DC is an expert on getting on the inside and having his way with his opponent, I'll be surprised if he can't do the same to Jones.

This fight will prove how Jones will do at heavyweight. If Cormier can get inside I will be shocked if he cannot Jones on his back. He has done it to much larger guys and made it look easy. Idk how Cormier is going to deal with the leg kicks. I think he could become very frustrated and wind up looking for the KO. I think DC has to get him down to win this fight If not he gets torn apart on the feet.

Many have tried to get inside his reach, only Gustaffson managed to do that.

DC is no Gustaffson, his legs are heavy and his hands are slow..

One of Jones best weapons is controlling opponent from distance and controlling opponent from clinch/dirty boxing stance.

These are two front lines DC need to cross to get his ass and that folks, that won't happen ;)

Every one of DC's HW opponents had reach/height/size/weight advantages, and they ended up losing just the same.

DC is an expert on getting on the inside and having his way with his opponent, I'll be surprised if he can't do the same to Jones.

Yes, but none of them can utilize that advantage as well as Jones can. It's like how some people can hit harder than Anderson Silva, but that doesn't mean they can KO people like he does.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd still say Cormier manages at least a couple takedowns. Guy is beast mode when he gets his hands on someone. If Jones somehow manages to outwrestle Cormier, then holy fucking shit.

Yes, but none of them can utilize that advantage as well as Jones can. It's like how some people can hit harder than Anderson Silva, but that doesn't mean they can KO people like he does.

Reach, height, power vs accuracy, timing and speed.

If you have all of them you're going to be making some waves (see; Jones)

Reach, height, power vs accuracy, timing and speed.

If you have all of them you're going to be making some waves (see; Jones)

I agree, though it doesn't seem like Jones is a particularly hard puncher. Essentially we're talking about fight I.Q., that sort of immeasurable talent for knowing the right thing to do at the right time. Jones has shown that, aside from his physical advantages, that could honestly be his biggest asset. he knows what to do to get done what he needs to get done, and that's not something that can really be taught. It's something you have or you don't. A guy like Chael has all the physical tools to beat Anderson Silva, but he makes mental slips that Silva can capitalize on in an instant. Jones has the physical tools, but unfortunately for everyone else also has the talent for utilizing them efficiently. His reach wouldn't matter without that.

Back