Jones's 13" reach advantage over Cormier

CoordinatedGrandFossa.gif

Reach means next to nothing at the highest level

Did someone hack this account? Uncharacteristically bad post. So many of Jon's former opponents have cited the reach disparity as a huge factor.

Yes, but none of them can utilize that advantage as well as Jones can. It's like how some people can hit harder than Anderson Silva, but that doesn't mean they can KO people like he does.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd still say Cormier manages at least a couple takedowns. Guy is beast mode when he gets his hands on someone. If Jones somehow manages to outwrestle Cormier, then holy fucking shit.

True. However, Jones has used his range to keep opponents at a distance and land blows from a safe range. I highly doubt DC will fall for the tactic, and will push the pace and get on the inside much more often than Jones is counting on.

BTW, if Jones lands a dozen takedowns, game over. As much as TDs count in the eyes of judges, reguardless of how long Jones is under DC, if that stat is true then its a guaranteed win for DC.

Many have tried to get inside his reach, only Gustaffson managed to do that.

Gus did not get inside the reach, he matched it.

Other fighters wanted to get in close enough to strike, but did not want to clinch. It's VERY tough to thread that needle. DC does not need to do that, he only wants to get inside, the closer the better, clinching is best. That gives DC an edge no other fighter has had against Bones.

Then there is the fact it's likely DC will out wrestle him, another thing Jones never had to worry about.

If anything it might be Jones trying to stay in the sweet spot, and DC with a larger comfort zone.

Saturday will tell.

You do understand that 13" of reach does not necessarily mean each of his arms are 6.5" longer, right?

Yes. But unlike someone like Lesnar who has a very broad back, Jon has a narrow back, so most of his reach advantage will be arm length.

DC will merely duck under a punch or eat a punch, elbow or kick as he grabs him. Once he grabs him it's over. I truly believe he will control Jones throughout.

Rmember JDS's varied arsenal doesn't help him against Cain.

wow I didn't realize it was that big of a difference

Back