Jones's 13" reach advantage over Cormier

just look at the photo on the main page of sherdog. dc looks tiny compared
to jones. that is a huge advantage. dc has advantage in wrestling and strength
tho which none of jone's previous opponents have had. plus ko power.

That's just completely not true. How can a reach advantage not be an advantage thats just insane.

almost all successful fighters have above average limbs

Would you say DC has above average limbs?

Cormier just has to worry about the last 3 inches getting in his eye.

Reach is an advantage and disadvantage at this level. It is all a give and take.
As a side note: ufc does wingspan which includes back. They should do armpit to fingertips, IMO.

Exactly. What posters who don't know anything about striking, which is 90% of posters, don't realize is that, with long arms, it takes even longer to return your hands to a neutral position to defend yourself, which means that you're leaving more space than the average person to get countered.

That's why a guy like Struve gets KO'd brutally by guys with short arms. I know "HE DOESN'T USE HIS REACH" but he actually does; it's his footwork that sucks

"All have tried, and all have failed" :rolleyes:

I'm watching Jones/Glover as we speak, and he's already gotten past the reach in the 1st round lmao. Even Chael negated the reach with his pressure. He's just a natural MW, so he got grossly out muscled.

Jone's has a 13" (6.5" per arm) reach advantage over DC and that is significant. I always thought that Jones should really have a great jab to work behind but if I recall he's never really had one. He does a lot of low kicks and other strikes but not a ton of really good jabbing. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I think DC has decent striking but nothing great. He does have some power though. DC said he wants to get inside on Jones and that's where he'll win. Well, easier said then done. Many other fighters have tried and all have failed.

I don't see DC getting past Jones's reach and see Jones keeping DC on the outside and if Jones wants to get up close to DC he will. Whether or not Jones can impose his will on DC in the clinch is unknown. I see Jones winning by UD.

Anyone else think that DC won't be able to get past Jones's reach?

Too many people look at reach purely in boxing terms. For Jones the low kicks are just as effective as a jab. In fact, when he leans back he can effectively keep the distance without being in too much danger at all, especially considering he is taking out the legs which completely nullifies any counter.

Exactly. What posters who don't know anything about striking, which is 90% of posters, don't realize is that, with long arms, it takes even longer to return your hands to a neutral position to defend yourself, which means that you're leaving more space than the average person to get countered.

That's why a guy like Struve gets KO'd brutally by guys with short arms. I know "HE DOESN'T USE HIS REACH" but he actually does; it's his footwork that sucks

This. I would add to this but I feel that you nailed it.

Sherdoggers are delusional and don't realize reach and height are always a massive advantage in this sport. It will become more apparent in coming decades. It doesn't mean youre not skilled just because you can use that advantage.

Cormier has his own tools being stocky and strong as fuck.

Exactly. Imagine a 6' tall guy fighting a 5' tall guy both the same weight and skill set...

Most shertards have never even been in a sparring session let alone a real fight.

Sherdoggers are delusional and don't realize reach and height are always a massive advantage in this sport. It will become more apparent in coming decades. It doesn't mean youre not skilled just because you can use that advantage.

Cormier has his own tools being stocky and strong as fuck.

Yup the people who have never practiced a striking art don't understand that you have to be much better technically, or faster or both to get on the inside of someone like Jon Jones..
They act like being Iron Mike is the norm for shorter fighters

"13 inches is a wide load to handle, I won't treat you gently." - Dirk Diggler

Yeah, it's a pretty big advantage for Jon Jones in kicking range, even the outside of punching range, being able to throw elbows almost like punches, knees almost like kicks. It's even greater than anything Cormier ever faced at heavyweight. Jones is pretty good in the clinch too. It's a tough fight for Cormier. He probably wins a round, maybe two. Scores a few take downs, lands a few punches. But Jones will out point him.

See my sig... lol.

True. Bunch of reach queens. I partly blame Rogen, 'my God he is so long.' He goes full romo.

I don't think its a big problem for Cormier....he's not gonna try and strike with Jones where he gets comfortable. Chael had next to no problems getting inside and clinching.

Jone's has a 13" (6.5" per arm) reach advantage over DC and that is significant. I always thought that Jones should really have a great jab to work behind but if I recall he's never really had one. He does a lot of low kicks and other strikes but not a ton of really good jabbing. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I think DC has decent striking but nothing great. He does have some power though. DC said he wants to get inside on Jones and that's where he'll win. Well, easier said then done. Many other fighters have tried and all have failed.

I don't see DC getting past Jones's reach and see Jones keeping DC on the outside and if Jones wants to get up close to DC he will. Whether or not Jones can impose his will on DC in the clinch is unknown. I see Jones winning by UD.

Anyone else think that DC won't be able to get past Jones's reach?

Jones jab is pawing his fingers in his opponents face. Jones got striking skills! Oh and how he holds his other hand open in front of his face to block punches... Pure talent! and reach has nothing to do with it buahahahahaha!

If jones was 6'2" and had a 74" reach instead of a 84" like most LHW fighters you would see Jones getting KTFO more than Struve or Overeem. Cant hide from those punches when you don't have an 84" reach.

Jones striking skills are so horrible he makes Royce Gracie look like a K-1 kickboxer.

hand weight is key. lets see em put those mitts on a scale

ps- plus hunger. i want to hear whose belly grumbles the loudest. might move the line around

This! And when these two are even then look at hat size.

Not sure why sherdoggers don't know these three factors have successfully predicted 92% of all fights 83% of the time.

i used to spar a guy that was 6'5 and man it was HELL. the knees come up FAST

DC is gona get his ass handed to him

I don't think its a big problem for Cormier....he's not gonna try and strike with Jones where he gets comfortable. Chael had next to no problems getting inside and clinching.

He won't be getting inside if he can't navigate past the low kicks. I haven't seen Cormier present any elite LHW 'level' lateral movement in any of his fights to date.

Against Hendo [Whilst impressive] he still plodded forward. That will just see him continually teeped/push kicked backwards. Obviously he's had a whole camp to prepare himself [Along with the insight from the Gustaffson fight] but can he effectively add another elite element to his game to break apart Bones style?

I doubt it. At the same time Bones will have also evolved. I just can't see Cormier continually getting in close.

Back