Jones message to Dana: Let's make the distinction between bad business and bad press

yeah, but jones isn't even trying to be one, he doesn't have to do anything and still makes so many people angry at him.

that's why he's the ultimate villain.

The ultimate villain is the one that gets the most effect. If Jones was he'd sell more PPV's. Chael is an example of that Jones isn't very effective at all as he has less to back up his talk with but he's still much more effective than Jon. People caring equals money.

I wouldn't agree that Jones isn't trying either. He's whining publicly, that's for a reason.

He can't become the best ever without fighting the best.. Who would he have fought without UFC? King Mo, Beltran, Chubby Moose? That would never justify the king of LHW. I agree he is amazing, but what makes him amazing is the streak of fighters he's beat that were in the UFC. If he did the same thing against KOTC level fighters, it'd mean next to nothing.. Krazy Horse did really well in KOTC.

I understand the value of the level of competition in the UFC. It is certainly possible that many fans would not recognize Jones as the best if he fought in Bellator or WSOF. But he would still be the best, which is why your statement was so stupid.

I hope Jones gets $10 million dollars. But I also hope he goes through a Jamie-Varner like change of heart.

Even then it would probably be foolish.

There was nothing really ever wrong with Jones vs. Cormier while Gus takes a top 10 fight for the number 1 contender position.

That would generate a lot of money as well.

As much as I like Cormier, he needs another fight at LHW more than Gus does.

Jones is just being very petty now.

You're the champion, you fight who they say. It's not like he's telling you to fight in 4 weeks, you have time to prepare. You wanna be a prissy little prima donna right now then fine, but you better hope you're world champion until you retire or it's gonna get rough when you're on your way back down.

I've recently started to like Jones, but it's a shame he still pulls this shit.

I'm a Gus fan, and will be rooting for him come fight time, but I have never thought for a second that Jones is afraid of him. The guy has beaten the best LHW's in the UFC's roster yet when he tries to use what leverage he has to better his position, he is petty? You fuckin' serious?

A good villain makes people angry rather than making them think he's being pathetic.

You all look plenty angry from where I'm sitting.

And trying to get as much money as he can to secure his families future in the short time he has in this sport is far from pathetic.

Jones is just being very petty now.

You're the champion, you fight who they say. It's not like he's telling you to fight in 4 weeks, you have time to prepare. You wanna be a prissy little prima donna right now then fine, but you better hope you're world champion until you retire or it's gonna get rough when you're on your way back down.

I've recently started to like Jones, but it's a shame he still pulls this shit.

you would like jones huh?

He's probably trying to work out a way to get the fight given to DC because he's still scared to rematch Gus.

I'm a Gus fan, and will be rooting for him come fight time, but I have never thought for a second that Jones is afraid of him. The guy has beaten the best LHW's in the UFC's roster yet when he tries to use what leverage he has to better his position, he is petty? You fuckin' serious?

What leverage? You work for the UFC and within reason, you fight who they want, where and when they want it. They're not telling him fight Cain in Mexico in 5 days, it's fighting the solidified #1 contender on plenty of notice.

Just for the record, I never said Jones was afraid of Gus. In fact if he was, I would understand this position a little more.

His last couple fights have been September - April - September - April

August 30th isn't far off from September lol

I think the bigger issue is Jones is trying to get a better contract with the UFC so he can make that Anderson Silva money.

oh that last contract before the downfall

You all look plenty angry from where I'm sitting.

And trying to get as much money as he can to secure his families future in the short time he has in this sport is far from pathetic.

In what way do I look angry? Explain in detail because most likely it's just you projecting what you want to see, which really just speaks about you.

The UFC were the ones that went to him about a new contract. We heard Lorenzo say a while ago that he was going to have to explain to Jones and his manager why the fight makes sense, and that he was going to offer a contract extension. Jones is whining because they are telling him who to fight, just as they should be doing, and that they say it publicly.

DC is still in need to prove himself at lhw...So far he beat a barista and an older Hendo! I love Hendo, but he is not a claim to the belt at this point! He should fight maybe Rumble or Glover and make it look convincing, not a bunch of hugging either;)

He wants the terms of his new deal met before he signs.. Good business.

Dana often says

"You are not a business man you are a fighter" said that about Tito all the time which is just his way of trying to fuck people over by bullying them into taking fights until they are used up and he is done with them..

Good post. I continue to gain respect for Jones by him not allowing himself to be bullied by Dana.

What leverage? You work for the UFC and within reason, you fight who they want, where and when they want it. They're not telling him fight Cain in Mexico in 5 days, it's fighting the solidified #1 contender on plenty of notice.

Clearly things do not work that way, because fighters turn down fights and work out dates for when they feel they will be ready all the time. A guy at Jones height clearly is going to have say when he wants to fight, as long as its reasonable. And following his usual time frame of a fall fight is reasonable.

Just for the record, I never said Jones was afraid of Gus. In fact if he was, I would understand this position a little more.

So far all we've heard about this is that he is renegotiating a contract. Not choosing his next fight. I'm not sure where you pulled this idea that he is refusing a fight from.

It was a poor tactic to ensure the fight getting signed by Jones. They announced the fight knowing Gustafsson and Jones haters would call him out for having not signed it, thinking Jones would cave to the media and fan pressure and sign the bout. Problem is Jones didn't cave. And now they've stuck their foot in their mouth announcing a fight on a date that may not happen.

Clearly things do not work that way, because fighters turn down fights and work out dates for when they feel they will be ready all the time.

I'm not saying they do work that way, but they should. Like I said, within reason.

Back