Jones message to Dana: Let's make the distinction between bad business and bad press

Never thought I'd say this, but Jones is right.

It was a poor tactic to ensure the fight getting signed by Jones. They announced the fight knowing Gustafsson and Jones haters would call him out for having not signed it, thinking Jones would cave to the media and fan pressure and sign the bout. Problem is Jones didn't cave. And now they've stuck their foot in their mouth announcing a fight on a date that may not happen.

You'd think they would have gotten the hint after Jones didn't cave to their ridiculous Sonnen fight at UFC 151. I guess Dana's still a thick headed idiot :icon_lol:

In what way do I look angry? Explain in detail because most likely it's just you projecting what you want to see, which really just speaks about you.

The UFC were the ones that went to him about a new contract. We heard Lorenzo say a while ago that he was going to have to explain to Jones and his manager why the fight makes sense, and that he was going to offer a contract extension. Jones is whining because they are telling him who to fight, just as they should be doing, and that they say it publicly.

No its pretty damn clear to everyone that Gus is next. Its not about who he is fighting, its about when and possibly wanting more money. They ran to the media about a August date he did not agree too.

So far all we've heard about this is that he is renegotiating a contract. Not choosing his next fight. I'm not sure where you pulled this idea that he is refusing a fight from.

I never said he was refusing a fight. I'm saying that August 30th is plenty of time away, the shows is in Las Vegas. Why make this a thing if you're gonna sign that fight anyway?

Jones is a diva. The way he communicates only makes him look worse since he's responsible for the cancel of an entire ufc card and constantly delaying fights. It's really becoming a habit of his even though he sees it differently.

Umm...Jones is the most active ufc champ of all time. Jones is also the champ with the toughest strength of schedule of all time. You're an idiot.

In what way do I look angry? Explain in detail because most likely it's just you projecting what you want to see, which really just speaks about you.

The UFC were the ones that went to him about a new contract. We heard Lorenzo say a while ago that he was going to have to explain to Jones and his manager why the fight makes sense, and that he was going to offer a contract extension. Jones is whining because they are telling him who to fight, just as they should be doing.

Oh, I don't know. Attacking a persons character and slinging insults at a person you don't even know might be construed as someone who is a tad bit miffed.

And what does it matter who came to who? Jones saw an opportunity to make more money and he took it. Only haters get mad at that. Especially when so many on here constantly complain about fighter pay.

No its pretty damn clearly to everyone that Gus is next. Its not about who he is fighting, its about when and possibly wanting more money. They ran to the media about a August date he did not agree too.

If that was the case Lorenzo wouldn't have to go and explain to them why the Gustafsson fight makes sense.

It was a poor tactic to ensure the fight getting signed by Jones. They announced the fight knowing Gustafsson and Jones haters would call him out for having not signed it, thinking Jones would cave to the media and fan pressure and sign the bout. Problem is Jones didn't cave. And now they've stuck their foot in their mouth announcing a fight on a date that may not happen.

The UFC would not use that tactic before just sending him the contract.

What leverage? You work for the UFC and within reason, you fight who they want, where and when they want it. They're not telling him fight Cain in Mexico in 5 days, it's fighting the solidified #1 contender on plenty of notice.

Just for the record, I never said Jones was afraid of Gus. In fact if he was, I would understand this position a little more.

So, just because he hasn't signed to the agreemen that means that he isn't willing to fight Gustaffson? Don't you think it's possible that he's trying to secure himself a better deal financially when his current deal expires? You said it yourself, he has been given plenty of time, and there's plenty more remaining. So why would it jeopardize this fight from taking place when we are nearly three months from it? If NSAC and the UFC are willing to grant Wand a license and a spot in 175, respectively, when the card is just a month away, why would this be any sort of issue for Jones' fight in August 30?

As for leverage, he's a champion -- one of the most talented and visible. That's significant leverage when compared to the vast majority of fighters in the UFC's roster who have very little say about anything.

I understand the value of the level of competition in the UFC. It is certainly possible that many fans would not recognize Jones as the best if he fought in Bellator or WSOF. But he would still be the best, which is why your statement was so stupid.
You can't be the best if you don't prove it against top ranked competition. My statement was not stupid for that reason. Even if the UFC had only 7 of the top 10 MMA fighters in the world, that leaves Jones with a very piss poor 15 fight win streak (in legitimate orgs, and counting the Hamill win) outside of UFC. Renan Barao was on a 25 fight win streak before entering UFC, but that didn't last long once fighting outside of Brazil on the big stage (it killed me to see him lose against Dillashaw btw). Sexyama was on an 11 fight win streak before entering UFC, and we saw how that went. UFC is a different animal, and you can't be considered the best without excelling in the octagon.. agree to disagree, my friend.

Ummm ok. So unlike the Diaz bros he doesn't want more money...he doesn't seem to want more time for an injury...there is no other clear contender at lhw who is next in line supposedly. Don't be scared bones

I never said he was refusing a fight. I'm saying that August 30th is plenty of time away, the shows is in Las Vegas. Why make this a thing if you're gonna sign that fight anyway?

That's the thing, Jones never made it a thing until Dana did. His response was merely a defense to what most people readily assumed -- that he is ducking which is egregiously idiotic.

You can't be the best if you don't prove it against top ranked competition. My statement was not stupid for that reason.

You said Jones was nothing without the UFC, which is untrue. He would still be the best LHW in the world, whether or not fans would agree. The UFC did not make him the best LHW in the world, they gave him a platform to showcase how good he is. That is an important distinction to which you seem oblivious.

what all of a sudden bones thinks hes a ufc matchmaker??? your champ you fight whos next in line period. if dana says gus is next , thats it

If that was the case Lorenzo wouldn't have to go and explain to them why the Gustafsson fight makes sense.

Clearly there was more to that chopped up video, come on man you really going to back and forth on Gus not being clearly next to everyone involved. The rematch is next. Its just a matter of when, and possibly money.

DC is not going to be next plus he has a knee injury. Not only that Jones also ignored his pleas about skipping Gus, and was completely unimpressed that he fought Hendo.

So, just because he hasn't signed to the agreemen that means that he isn't willing to fight Gustaffson? Don't you think it's possible that he's trying to secure himself a better deal financially when his current deal expires? You said it yourself, he has been given plenty of time, and there's plenty more remaining. So why would it jeopardize this fight from taking place when we are nearly three months from it? If NSAC and the UFC are willing to grant Wand a license and a spot in 175, respectively, when the card is just a month away, why would this be any sort of issue for Jones' fight in August 30?

As for leverage, he's a champion -- one of the most talented and visible. That's significant leverage when compared to the vast majority of fighters in the UFC's roster who have very little say about anything.

Well if you took the 10 seconds it would take to read my post, you would find the answer to your first question. If he's got one more fight on his contract, then he should fight that one more fight. He signed the contract FOR the UFC, they decided when contract negotiations take place if it's before your contract is out. Like with Weidman, they wanted to sign him to a new deal before the Anderson fight so they could get him for less money but he chose to wait out his contract because that's his prerogative. The UFC need more time to prepare for a show than the fighters do, they're going to market the holy hell out of this fight. They want a date so they can start promoting. If the UFC are offering you a fight when you're saying that you wanna renegotiate your contract, that's them telling you "sorry but no, we're in charge".

It's a fight a long time in the future and it's not Sweden, you don't need leverage, you just sign that fight.

Back