Jones message to Dana: Let's make the distinction between bad business and bad press

jones is the ultimate villain, lol.

If I was Dana I'd strip Jones of the belt.

Wonder what he'd tweet then?

Champs have no business picking contenders due to obvious conflict of interest. Why wouldn't a champ pick the easiest fight available at every turn?

Jones has every right to renegotiate his contract or refuse certain dates, etc. But he has no say in who gets the next title shot at LHW.

Well said.

Though I personally don't think fighters should choose dates either, within reason. For instance "I want X fights within X amount of time" or "No fights before X but no less than Y by Z".... but not specific dates because it can allow them to avoid certain fighters by waiting.

If Jones leaves UFC he makes A LOT less money from his sponsors, a lot less contract money, and UFC carries on because they have built a strong BRAND.
Probably true.

Jones is nothing and would have never been anything without the platform that is, UFC.
Patently untrue. Jones is a hell of a fighter, and that is not nothing. He would be the best LHW ever even without the UFC.

I've got to disagree here. Bellator has viacom $$$ if I remember correctly and acquiring Jones would increase everything for Bellator/Viacom. Viacom/Bellator knows it would be huge for business. I think they would spend the $$ to get Jones signed. I don't think it will happen in a million years don't get me wrong but I think it would be pretty darn cool.
Yes, they do.. but Viacom has proven they are only willing to spend that "Viacom $$$" on taking fighters to court. Their event payouts have been atrocious, I can't imagine the heat they would get if they were in the position UFC is in. Additionally, even if Bellator matched UFC's 'guaranteed' contract, it would be impossible for them to match the PPV percentage and money from blue chip sponsors. Nike and Gatorade are smart enough to realize where their marketing budget is best spent, and they will pay significantly less for a fighter in an inferior org, and this is if they even choose to continue sponsoring him.. which is 50/50 at best.

I've got no issue with Bones milking this situation. He has solidified himself at the top, and he has already beaten Gus. At this point, he has a legitimate case for greatest LHW of all time and he is still undefeated(minus Mazzagatti's fuckup).

Fighters need to start using their status to get more of what they deserve. He has two huge, important fights on the horizon. The UFC needs him to do these two big fights, especially.

If all this is is a power play to get more of what he deserves, then go for it and renegotiate now. Sit back and force the UFC to work with you. Dana deserves it for trying to use the public to force fighters under their terms.

I am never one to bitch and moan about fighter pay, because truthfully, it is up to them to seize what they deserve, and we need to stop attacking the fighters when they play hardball with Dana and stop taking Dana's side when he runs crying to the public to twist shit.

Completely agree. Dana is known for twisting stuff so fans side with him and the UFC and I get it. I also understand why Jones is doing what he is doing. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

If I was Dana I'd strip Jones of the belt.

Wonder what he'd tweet then?

Dana has a lot to lose as well. He would be foolish to strip Jones unless Jones absolutely refused to fight Gus.

i thought it was just the agreement for this fight is not signed yet. some people make it sound as jones was a free agent now and can leave at will (see melendez). so his ufc contract expired? i think such a detail would have received more media attention. so could someone clarify please?

A good villain makes people angry rather than making them think he's being pathetic.

yeah, but jones isn't even trying to be one, he doesn't have to do anything and still makes so many people angry at him.

that's why he's the ultimate villain.

So, Jones is going to bitch out? Again?

At least he's consistent.

I like that he hasn't signed yet I believe he will but Dana is being an asshole about it so fuck him let him sweat a bit.
Just how I feel

Man I disliked Jones for so long and enjoyed disliking him! I really was hoping to continue it. But I keep finding myself agreeing with him or at least understanding where he is coming from.

Tito being the highest paid white guy in his tenure who still did pretty good made a bad analogy choice when he said slaves. But I do think a lot of times they treat their fighters like property or at best disposable commodities. Dana is so used to it being his way or the highway and bullying and using the press to do his negotiating that it has gotten out of control. You don't announce a fight your champ hasn't signed yet or try to characterize him as less than a man to pressure him into a bad deal when he is only a month removed from a title defense.

What active fighter has ever called out Dana publicly? I didn't think I'd ever type these words but....

War Jones

He is just a Diva who thinks he is bigger and more important that the sport itself, basically a spoiled brat.

I honestly think that if Jones turns down this fight and starts telling UFC/Dana that he wants cormier vs Gus to create what he thinks is a deserving title shot...that they might strip him.

No one likes Jones...he hardly has any fans...he doesnt sell PPV's and he is so self absorbed its unreal.

Jones has a lot of fans. He is one of the most popular fighters in the UFC. He is one of the main draws as far as media attention (traffic on MMA sites attests to that), he has more twitter followers than most, more facebook followers etc. He's not GSP, nor is he Anderson Silva...but neither GSP or Silva were as popular as he is at 26.

He wants more money. He has a young family, and he's said in the past he doesn't want to fight past 30. Right now Melendez' contract stipulates he'll make more than him to show. Jones is doing exactly what he should be doing; asking for more. Gustafsson earns about $30,000 for show money, if he wins the championship and asks for more are you going to accuse him of ducking?

Probably true.

Patently untrue. Jones is a hell of a fighter, and that is not nothing. He would be the best LHW ever even without the UFC.
He can't become the best ever without fighting the best.. Who would he have fought without UFC? King Mo, Beltran, Chubby Moose? That would never justify the king of LHW. I agree he is amazing, but what makes him amazing is the streak of fighters he's beat that were in the UFC. If he did the same thing against KOTC level fighters, it'd mean next to nothing.. Krazy Horse did really well in KOTC.

Dana would be foolish to strip Jones unless Jones absolutely refused to fight Gus.

Even then it would probably be foolish.

There was nothing really ever wrong with Jones vs. Cormier while Gus takes a top 10 fight for the number 1 contender position.

That would generate a lot of money as well.

Jones has much to prove considering he barely got by Gus(lost in my opinion)...If he wants GOAT status he needs to get in there...As for money, he's driving a Efing Bentley...A Dumb sh*t like him would never have that without the UFC!!

He is just a Diva who thinks he is bigger and more important that the sport itself, basically a spoiled brat.

I honestly think that if Jones turns down this fight and starts telling UFC/Dana that he wants cormier vs Gus to create what he thinks is a deserving title shot...that they might strip him.

No one likes Jones...he hardly has any fans...he doesnt sell PPV's and he is so self absorbed its unreal.

So, securing a better contract in an industry where there's hardly any leverage in your favor is being a diva now? Do you so willingly accept all the terms offered to by your employer and/or client?

Jones is just being very petty now.

You're the champion, you fight who they say. It's not like he's telling you to fight in 4 weeks, you have time to prepare. You wanna be a prissy little prima donna right now then fine, but you better hope you're world champion until you retire or it's gonna get rough when you're on your way back down.

I've recently started to like Jones, but it's a shame he still pulls this shit.

Dont like fighters being given too much of a say on where/where/who they fight.

Back