Jones message to Dana: Let's make the distinction between bad business and bad press

He wants the terms of his new deal met before he signs.. Good business.

Dana often says

"You are not a business man you are a fighter" said that about Tito all the time which is just his way of trying to fuck people over by bullying them into taking fights until they are used up and he is done with them..

at least one guy sees the truth...Dana is using the media to try and bully Jon into signing.

Jon needs to hold out and get a nice $$$$ increase.

His last couple fights have been September - April - September - April

August 30th isn't far off from September lol

I think the bigger issue is Jones is trying to get a better contract with the UFC so he can make that Anderson Silva money.

But there is also a late date in September in Toronto, which follows his recent pattern even closer.

If Jones doesn't renew his contract and leaves he could make a certain other company wayyyy more powerful than it was before. Tito and Rampage aren't going to beat him anytime soon however I wouldn't hate to see a current champ walk off. Perhaps teach the UFC they are no longer the only game in town.
If Jones leaves UFC he makes A LOT less money from his sponsors, a lot less contract money, and UFC carries on because they have built a strong BRAND. Jones is nothing and would have never been anything without the platform that is, UFC.

That being said, I enjoy the fact that he is trying to strong-arm and get himself the best deal. I also think if it was his choice he wouldn't be fighting Gus next.

Dana is running the most successful MMA org on the planet, while OP is starting weak threads on Sherdog suggesting what is 'bad business' all because Jones is mad.

I think I'll side with Dana on this one :D

What's Jones going to do...not sign a new deal? LMAO

who is dana going to get to headline UFC 176.......Neville Nobody. Jones has leverage and now is the time to use it.

Dana is running the most successful MMA org on the planet, while OP is starting weak threads on Sherdog suggesting what is 'bad business' all because Jones is mad.

I think I'll side with Dana on this one :D

What's Jones going to do...not sign a new deal? LMAO

What is Melendez going to do? ... Oh get one of the best deals out.

wtf HES THE FUCKING CHAMPION

why hes afraid to fight a top contender?

i mean was there a champion in the history of the sport that tried to duck as many fights as him?

Tito ducked Liddell multiple times.

Before we start jumping at the jones to bellator wagon, see lawsuits, and what happened with Randy and most others fighters that tried the same thing without the go ahead from da bald father.

Jon is not going to Bellator....that is talk from the UFC haters. Jon is just using the perfect time to get some serious $$$$.

Jones is smart. This will be billed as the biggest rematch and title fight in UFC history. Whether it is or not remains to be seen but Jon is smart enough to get as much money as possible out of this. Good for him.

I've got no issue with Bones milking this situation. He has solidified himself at the top, and he has already beaten Gus. At this point, he has a legitimate case for greatest LHW of all time and he is still undefeated(minus Mazzagatti's fuckup).

Fighters need to start using their status to get more of what they deserve. He has two huge, important fights on the horizon. The UFC needs him to do these two big fights, especially.

If all this is is a power play to get more of what he deserves, then go for it and renegotiate now. Sit back and force the UFC to work with you. Dana deserves it for trying to use the public to force fighters under their terms.

I am never one to bitch and moan about fighter pay, because truthfully, it is up to them to seize what they deserve, and we need to stop attacking the fighters when they play hardball with Dana and stop taking Dana's side when he runs crying to the public to twist shit.

Spot on. Rather silly that people still don't see this.

If Jones leaves UFC he makes A LOT less money from his sponsors, a lot less contract money, and UFC carries on because they have built a strong BRAND. Jones is nothing and would have never been anything without the platform that is, UFC.

That being said, I enjoy the fact that he is trying to strong-arm and get himself the best deal. I also think if it was his choice he wouldn't be fighting Gus next.

I've got to disagree here. Bellator has viacom $$$ if I remember correctly and acquiring Jones would increase everything for Bellator/Viacom. Viacom/Bellator knows it would be huge for business. I think they would spend the $$ to get Jones signed. I don't think it will happen in a million years don't get me wrong but I think it would be pretty darn cool.

He wants the terms of his new deal met before he signs.. Good business.

Dana often says

"You are not a business man you are a fighter" said that about Tito all the time which is just his way of trying to fuck people over by bullying them into taking fights until they are used up and he is done with them..

No one is a better spinster when it comes to these things than Dana. He knows that the vast majority of the MMA fan base will see this move as a means to duck the competition. Sadly, I think he is correct with that assumption.

i hope jones really makes this interesting and fight with dana over social media. glad someone has some leverage over the ufc

Jon is not going to Bellator....that is talk from the UFC haters. Jon is just using the perfect time to get some serious $$$$.

Not a UFC hater you idiot. I just think it would be one of those moments that would go down and everyone would be shocked to see it. If Bellator got Jones they would have to get better competition for him to face. Therefore, making Bellator a very serious contender in the future for the UFC. If they signed him what would UFC's lhw division be like after that? If Gus became champ would people look at him as the best or would the Jones void be something that stopped Gus from being sold to the real fans? I think it would be interesting. Not going to happen. However, the fact that you are calling people "UFC haters" is f'n stupid. Grow up!

Jones is scared...or wants more money...or both

He is just a Diva who thinks he is bigger and more important that the sport itself, basically a spoiled brat.

I honestly think that if Jones turns down this fight and starts telling UFC/Dana that he wants cormier vs Gus to create what he thinks is a deserving title shot...that they might strip him.

No one likes Jones...he hardly has any fans...he doesnt sell PPV's and he is so self absorbed its unreal.

Jones should've taken the bull by the horns this year and taken spotlight as the #1 attraction of the UFC. He's arguably the most gifted fighter ever. He clearly is a diva like I said. You have Georges/Anderson out the entire year and the UFC is depending on you, and Jon delays yet another fight in which he really deserved to give Gus the immediate rematch. Holding out isn't smart when it's become a continuous habit.

Real question (not that anyone will know): Why can't Jones just say "Yeah, absolutely I'm fighting Gus. UFC better pay me though."

Then it's essentially official. UFC is the one that is blamed if it doesn't happen. Jones doesn't look like he's scared.

I will laugh at Dana's pain if Jones demands to fight DC first. I will salivate at that fight cause I'm pretty sure a motivated and pissed off Bones destroys Gus in 2 rounds. I don't know what will happen with DC though.

Champs have no business picking contenders due to obvious conflict of interest. Why wouldn't a champ pick the easiest fight available at every turn?

Jones has every right to renegotiate his contract or refuse certain dates, etc. But he has no say in who gets the next title shot at LHW.

Good god how much money did they pay you to write this?

Vintage UFC strong-arm tactics. I think its ill-advised for the UFC to be on bad terms with one of their biggest PPV commodities.

Back