Jon jones "the problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

He said this immediately after the fight...

Really jon ??? REALLY ?!?!?

I've watched the fight twice now and can't recall jones even attempting a single boxing combination during the fight, let alone establishing a jab or any sort of head movement ....and he thinks he trained too much boxing? Wtf

In reality Gus totally outclassed him in the boxing department, jones did well with kicks and elbows - but to suggest his performance wasn't up to par because he focused too much on boxing is ludicrous! .... In reality, it's the area he needs to work on the most..

how is that ludicrous? Let's say he worked on his boxing too much. That doesn't mean it would be on the same level as gus' or even look very good when fighting gus. It seems to imply he should have been working on other things though. Let's say one of those other things is wrestling. So if he neglected his wrestling for his boxing, then there would probably be some sort of sign of it during the fight right? Can anyone think of one?....

This was his wakeup call.

I think he'll come back better for it and fortunately unlike for a great like GSP it didn't cost him the title.

spinning elbow. leck kick, oblique kick, obliqie kick, sticks fingers out, head kick, takedown attempt.

crisp boxing brah

No, the problem was his alleged "best in MMA, best in history" wrestling was completely ineffective on a guy who isn't even a natural grappler. And even when he did get Gus down, Gus effortlessly stood back up, leaving no chance for any GNP or submissions.

If Jones could have got Gus down, he would have. 11 TD attempts, just one successful TD. He sure wanted to, he just couldn't do it. And as a result, he got exposed for being a pretty bad striker who relied almost exclusively on his physical advantages over opponents rather than technical skill. Gus was the first guy his size, and he had superior striking and completely neutralized Jones' strong suit, sweeping the first 3 rounds and 90% of round 4.

Jones is very lucky he got the decision. He'll need to dramatically improve his striking technique, his striking power, or both if he wants to be able to beat Gus in a rematch. The reason he didn't try for more TDs was because he didn't want to gas himself out like Kampmann did. if he tries to desperately get Gus down in the rematch, it's going to cost him. He'll expend a lot of unnecessary energy early and likely get lit up later on.

If anything, the reason he lost is because his striking WASN'T good enough. He's lucky he has a good chin, and that the judges will have his back considering the huge marketing/hypetrain push he's getting from the UFC. He will always get the benefit of the doubt in close rounds even if he gets clearly edged.

I think Jones would benefit from actually going to a boxing gym. From what I understand he just studies under Winklejohn (I might be wrong about this). I'm not questioning Winklejohn's kickboxing knowledge, but a respected boxing trainer he is not. Other Jackson fighters, notably Cub Swanson, have benefited greatly from working with legitimate trainers (Joel Diaz in Swanson's case).

Look it happened to Hendo too. Hendo forgot he is a wrestler spent all his time on BJJ and lost quickly to... BJJ.

Jones forgot he is a wrestler, spent all his time on boxing and almost lost to ... boxing. If he was not a natural beast of a human he would have lost, everyone who did the same training he did and expected to out box a guy who has been boxing for years would get demolished.

Young guys just have this mental block about time and the best way to use it, use it to get better at what your already good at, it will run out, always does.

*Don't go full retard and not understand what "all his time" means here. When you train you spend time on everything but you get to pick what you spend the most time on.

I think Jones would benefit from actually going to a boxing gym. From what I understand he just studies under Winklejohn (I might be wrong about this). I'm not questioning Winklejohn's kickboxing knowledge, but a respected boxing trainer he is not. Other Jackson fighters, notably Cub Swanson, have benefited greatly from working with legitimate trainers (Joel Diaz in Swanson's case).

Boxing takes years and years to even get the basics down, I think he should not walk but run away from trying to be a boxer and get back to wrestling.

It didn't seem like Jones committed to take downs like he normally does. Will be interesting to see if he is a little more relentless in the rematch.

honestly, I think he's just used to being longer than his opponent, and that his length helps with his throws and trips. But Gus was about his equal in size so he may not have felt like he had the same leverage in certain situations which may have led him to not really commit further.

I dunno though, never wrestled.

Look it happened to Hendo too. Hendo forgot he is a wrestler spent all his time on BJJ and lost quickly to... BJJ.

Jones forgot he is a wrestler, spent all his time on boxing and almost lost to ... boxing. If he was not a natural beast of a human he would have lost, everyone who did the same training he did and expected to out box a guy who has been boxing for years would get demolished.

Young guys just have this mental block about time and the best way to use it, use it to get better at what your already good at, it will run out, always does.

*Don't go full retard and not understand what "all his time" means here. When you train you spend time on everything but you get to pick what you spend the most time on.

I'm so confused how the hell did Jones forget he was a wrestler he did the exact same TD he usually does he threw every possible TD at Gus and couldn't get it.

his boxing was not as good as Gus, a rematch would put Jones in trouble again

I'm so confused how the hell did Jones forget he was a wrestler he did the exact same TD he usually does he threw every possible TD at Gus and couldn't get it.

This, not to mention the fact that Jones barely used any boxing at all; his entire offense standing consisted of kicks, elbows, takedowns. His hands are trash and he knows it.

Jones and his fans are trying to explain away this fight (which should have been a loss) by any means necessary, even if it flies in the face of all logic and what actually happened during the fight. It's almost exactly the same as how Anderson fans reacted to Weidman laying him out.

It can't be that Weidman or Gus are good; it has to be that their idols shot themselves in the foot and gave the can in front of them a chance to be nice and put on a show for the fans.

Boxing takes years and years to even get the basics down, I think he should not walk but run away from trying to be a boxer and get back to wrestling.

Many top MMA fighters have gone and worked with real trainers. It hardly takes up all of their time to train. GSP has worked Freddie Roach, as well as Lucian Bute's camp and his wrestling doesn't look any worse for wear. GSP, Cruz, Silva, Lawal, JDS, Penn, Swanson and the whole Blackzillian camp all put in work with legitimate boxing trainers and were better for it. It is one of the few legitimate weaknesses he has as a fighter. It would be foolish to ignore it.

Jon's fanboys logic:
He didn't take him down so he must have been trying to beat Gus at his own game. He wasn't focused. That toe was still not healed. He took too much water. Greg Jackson's gameplan was at fault. Etc. etc. etc.

Maybe he didn't wrestle Gus because he couldn't take Gus down and he was getting exhausted by being punched in the face consistently.

So many were quick to write off Gus and I always said he'd be the one to give Jon a competitive fight. Now the fanboys are trying to discredit Gus' improvements and make it seem like Jon wasn't even trying.

I'd just also like to point out that Phil Davis didn't exactly dominate Gus and was actually taken down but the more experienced grappler was able to capitalize when Gus followed Davis to the ground. Gus learned from that mistake and sough out Davis to train with.

Fanboy or not the least you could do is admit that Gus gave Jon the fight of his life.

I think Jones obviously did not focus on boxing enough because his hands were not doing much... his kicks and knees and elbows spoke volumes though!

It was a kickboxing versus boxing showcase... I really didn't see any improvements to Bones' boxing... in fact I would say he needs to improve his footwork for the rematch.

Jon's fanboys logic:
He didn't take him down so he must have been trying to beat Gus at his own game. He wasn't focused. That toe was still not healed. He took too much water. Greg Jackson's gameplan was at fault. Etc. etc. etc.

Maybe he didn't wrestle Gus because he couldn't take Gus down and he was getting exhausted by being punched in the face consistently.

So many were quick to write off Gus and I always said he'd be the one to give Jon a competitive fight. Now the fanboys are trying to discredit Gus' improvements and make it seem like Jon wasn't even trying.

I'd just also like to point out that Phil Davis didn't exactly dominate Gus and was actually taken down but the more experienced grappler was able to capitalize when Gus followed Davis to the ground. Gus learned from that mistake and sough out Davis to train with.

Fanboy or not the least you could do is admit that Gus gave Jon the fight of his life.

It really is a beautiful thing to see Jones fans do so much damage control because they probably know in the back of their heads that Jones possibly lost that fight (imo he did)

Concentrated on boxing?? Certainly didnt show

Well then, if that was him trying to 'box', his wish of fighting one of the Klitschko's just became that much funnier.

It was very clear that Gustafsson just had the much better hands.

Back