Jon jones "the problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

Jeff Goldblum69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He said this immediately after the fight...

Really jon ??? REALLY ?!?!?

I've watched the fight twice now and can't recall jones even attempting a single boxing combination during the fight, let alone establishing a jab or any sort of head movement ....and he thinks he trained too much boxing? Wtf

In reality Gus totally outclassed him in the boxing department, jones did well with kicks and elbows - but to suggest his performance wasn't up to par because he focused too much on boxing is ludicrous! .... In reality, it's the area he needs to work on the most..

Last edited:
I think because he kept it on the feet, and had Gus in the boxing range, along followed Gus as well.

I think he threw some good jab and a couple right crosses, as well as avoided a couple good shots as well, but he basically utilized kickboxing against a boxing based fighter in Gus.

Ya he really studied from the best when he learned kneecap kicks from Mayweather.

He was just not use to getting tagged even with his hand out. Jon was not that focused with his boxing maybe kicking but not boxing. At one point he was dying to get the fight to the ground.

Jon's boxing is horrible. He strikes kind of like a karate point striker. It works for him though.

The first round he didn't even box, all he was doing was throwing those little cheap knee cap kicks and he was visibly frustrated because he knew Gus had way better hands.

His problem is probably that he doesn't train wrestling as much and he spends too much time taking videos for instagram. I mean really, he had to instagram getting his gloves taped by Stitch? It came across that he wasn't taking Gus serious imo.

I just wished that Gus could have landed more power shots to KO Jones. :S

Well that was the point, he couldn't really excel with the boxing against Gus so if he had a bigger priority in the other parts of his game maybe he could have won it easier that way. How can you hate on this? Seriously...

he meant all the boxing and still wasnt enough so during the fight he abandoned it. If he had focused on other stuff , then he thinks he may have had better offense. Clearly his best strikes were elbows and kicks. If he had concentrated on those instead, he may have done better.

he meant all the boxing and still wasnt enough so during the fight he abandoned it. If he had focused on other stuff , then he thinks he may have had better offense. Clearly his best strikes were elbows and kicks. If he had concentrated on those instead, he may have done better.

Comes off sounding like an excuse IMO ...

The first round he didn't even box, all he was doing was throwing those little cheap knee cap kicks and he was visibly frustrated because he knew Gus had way better hands.

His problem is probably that he doesn't train wrestling as much and he spends too much time taking videos for instagram. I mean really, he had to instagram getting his gloves taped by Stitch? It came across that he wasn't taking Gus serious imo.

Exactly ...

Really? Looks like he didn't focus on his boxing enough.

I'm thinking what's on JBJ's mind is that he felt he shouldn't have been trying to stand with Gus and was in a bad situation the whole fight because he couldn't get the takedown.

I think Jones is basically saying that planning to stand with Gus was a mistake. He should have come into the fight with the game plan of taking him down.

Jones boxing did get exposed here. Normally he doesn't have to worry about being coutner punched. That completely changed here.

On the other hand. Jones was magnificent on the inside. For a tall guy he is extremely dangerous in tight situations. Typically the key to success is to get in close to a tall fighter.

Well that was the point, he couldn't really excel with the boxing against Gus so if he had a bigger priority in the other parts of his game maybe he could have won it easier that way. How can you hate on this? Seriously...

This is how I see it as well. Jones focused on his boxing to get it on par with Alex or make it better but by the time they fought, Alex was still much better. But since Jones prepared to box he might have been stuck in that mode and maybe didn't focus on ways to get a tall guy like that to the ground. Jones tried multiple trips but couldn't get it, and didn't seem to be effectively clinching or timing his takedowns. I think Alex really frustrated him and was much more mobile than Jones and people were expecting.

That problem was that takedowns attempts against someone of your same reach and size doesn't work and you obligated yourself to fight on your feet and got outclassed. Your flashy moves didn't work, your boxing sucks, you haven't KO power... And on top of that, your big toe wasn't at 100%.

But still people think that you're the best striker.

I've long believed Jones throws pillows, standing, and what really kills guys is their inability to keep him from rag-dolling them if/when they walk through his strikes.

Gus solidified that for me. Jones didn't do badly because he focused too much on boxing, he did badly because Gus walked through his shots to land his own, and stuffed Jones, repeatedly, when he tried to bring the fight to the ground.

This is how I see it as well. Jones focused on his boxing to get it on par with Alex or make it better but by the time they fought, Alex was still much better. But since Jones prepared to box he might have been stuck in that mode and maybe didn't focus on ways to get a tall guy like that to the ground. Jones tried multiple trips but couldn't get it, and didn't seem to be effectively clinching or timing his takedowns. I think Alex really frustrated him and was much more mobile than Jones and people were expecting.

He underestimated Alex's wrestling big time

That's how I read it. Similar to Kos saying he didn't focus on wrestling for the first GSP fight because he never expected GSP's wrestling to be so good. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jones camp didn't focus on wrestling, assuming he had that aspect of the fight in the bag, and instead focused on boxing/striking because they knew that would be his weaker area against Gus. In that context, this comment makes perfect sense to me.

Back