Jon Jones' reach is now 0.63 inches longer than Struve's

Not trying to show you, trying to get you to sell me on all these stats and measurements you find interesting.

Leg reach is relevant to the fight every bit as much as traditional reach is.

Leg reach is relevant to the fight every bit as much as traditional reach is.

Sure, and rather than debate just how important these reaches are to the fight (we could include movement, technique, speed, reflexes, and millions of other factors), why is it so important to you to see the measurements?

Can't you tell from how the fight goes who has the leg reach advantage?

Sure, and rather than debate just how important these reaches are to the fight (we could include movement, technique, speed, reflexes, and millions of other factors), why is it so important to you to see the measurements?

Can't you tell from how the fight goes who has the leg reach advantage?

What in my posts makes you think this is "so important" to me

If measurements are of no importance lets just do away with weight classes then.

What in my posts makes you think this is "so important" to me

If measurements are of no importance lets just do away with weight classes then.

We could do away with weight classes (they weren't around in ancient greece afaik). But they're a simple, quantifiable way to establish "fair" fights, and I don't have a problem with them.

"Reach classes" wouldn't achieve anything of the sort.

I'm not trying to single you out, sorry if it seems that way, I just think other things besides extremity length are more interesting and relevant to discussions concerning Jon Jones's success and the threats posed to it by Gustafsson.

They seem to have increased Gustafssons reach as well. Last time I checked he was 76.5 inches.

We could do away with weight classes (they weren't around in ancient greece afaik). But they're a simple, quantifiable way to establish "fair" fights, and I don't have a problem with them.

"Reach classes" wouldn't achieve anything of the sort.

I'm not trying to single you out, sorry if it seems that way, I just think other things besides extremity length are more interesting and relevant to discussions concerning Jon Jones's success and the threats posed to it by Gustafsson.

Its just something that AXS does that UFC doesn't that I enjoy

I hope their reach are closed, so gustafsson can have more changes to Win the fight.

Its just something that AXS does that UFC doesn't that I enjoy

Fair enough, but what's the enjoyment? For all my rude phrasings etc, that was my real question. Do you think it helps you pick a winner? Or is it something else?

Fair enough, but what's the enjoyment? For all my rude phrasings etc, that was my real question. Do you think it helps you pick a winner? Or is it something else?

Just an interesting footnote

Looks like both camps focused alot on reach for this fight and all the hard work has paid off.

I remember when people said Gus had T-rex arms because his reach was stated as shorter than his height at 76''. Anybody that's actually looked at Gus can see he's a very rangy guy, I personally don't find 81'' that hard to believe.

Looks like both camps focused alot on reach for this fight and all the hard work has paid off.

Jon apparently had a tough time training Reach, as it was new to him, hence why Gus got much better results. I fully expect Jon to break 90" for his next bout though.

Jones will eventually grow a 90 inch reach :eek:

And when it comes to measurements, it's simply not true that people's height is some static, fixed number. It fluctuates a fair amount even during the same day. I don't know whether the same things is true of "reach", but the taller you are, the more your height varies.

I know we all like to think of ourselves as a specific height, but in reality the difference can be up to an inch for an average height person between morning and evening. I'm fairly sure they exaggerated Carwin's height, but a lot of these supposed kayfabes are probably due to natural variance, sloppy measuring and human error. Oh, and altitude plays some part as well.

EXACTLY- this guy gets it.

See the UFC measured Carwin in the morning and at 8am Shane Carwin is about 6'5 but that dude is HEAVY and over the course of a day his height may drop a few inches... and when are UFC fights? .....

AT NIGHT!!! (I know... mind completely blown right?)

If Shane would have fought Brock or Frank in the morning Shane would have towered over them!!!

Anyway, I believe it's actually only 0.6259 longer than Struve's.

Its growing by the minute :p

Next year he will jab his opponents in cage straight from his dressing room

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back