• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Jon Jones - "Aspinall was getting his ass kicked" vs Blaydes

Jones is like an insecure middle schooler that never got over his first gf.

And why is he tweeting so much about Aspinall? He's inadvertently telling the world how much it's bothering him that the MMA world is calling him out on cherry picking Stipe.

Because Jon has paper thin skin to go along with his tissue paper belt.

I'm just patiently waiting for Stipe Miocic to get injured and be out of the Jon Jones fight, and see Jon's reaction when Aspinall comes in as a last minute replacement. I actually think Jon might refuse the fight and duck him.

While using words clearly isn't one of Jon's strength it certainly looks like he's trying to say that Curtis wins by what he wants, KO or GnP, so he made a prediction for the upcoming fight and didn't just talk about the old one.

What he's really doing is just triggering Aspinall and the MMA fanbase, which is something he's always done, and will be doing for years after he fights Stipe and is retired.

Wow he's dumb posting this. If Aspinall goes out and KO's Blaydes he's gonna look super dumb and salty.

True but you could also say if Blaydes goes out and destroys Aspinall or even just wins he'll look like a genius. Guess we will find out soon.

If you want to win a fight, you should fight based on how the rules are, not how you want them to be. If you think knees to a downed opponent should be legal, that doesn’t mean you throw them in a fight.
But you're not arguing what the rules are, you're arguing human fault of not following the written rules and treating that as the default because of their occasional happenstance

Jones will always be the goat PED user in my books that's pretty good still.

Way to move the goal post sir.

We were talking about the competency of judges.
No we weren't. We were talking about how you should make it clear when you avoid strikes, if you don't want them to count as landed against you-- and how that applies to the first Blaydes vs Aspinall fight.

But you're not arguing what the rules are, you're arguing human fault of not following the written rules and treating that as the default because of their occasional happenstance
It's not an occasional happenstance. It happens in every fight. Look at websites like Fightmetric and Compubox or Compustrike and tell me that every strike in MMA is counted accurately. The only surefire way around it is to make strikes that miss you, clearly miss you. They're not ever going to be able to tell the difference between the head and the neck in an exchange like that.

No MMA coach in their right mind will ever tell you its a good idea to get hit on the neck like that.

There's not much to extrapolate from a 15 second fight, but Blaydes did get the better of him in the brief striking exchanges. The fight started with Aspinall lunging into a jab that sent him flying backwards a few steps, and he was getting tagged during and after the kick the made him topple over. Blaydes will find a way to lose in the rematch, I'm sure. That's what he does at this level.

There's not much to extrapolate from a 15 second fight, but Blaydes did get the better of him in the brief striking exchanges. The fight started with Aspinall lunging into a jab that sent him flying backwards a few steps, and he was getting tagged during and after the kick the made him topple over. Blaydes will find a way to lose in the rematch, I'm sure. That's what he does at this level.

I'll see what I can extrapolate.

First exchange: Aspinall lunges into a right, not a jab, and he went "flying backwards" because he was on one leg and had to take a step after getting pushed off that leg. Neither strike hit him in the face or were damaging in any way. Actually, biggest land here was Tom's lunging knee into Curtis' rib, which no one seems to mention, though it doesn't look like Curtis is affected by it either to be fair.

Then: Curtis throws a leg kick and Tom picks it up.

Next exchanges: They both throw 1-2's which mostly miss except for Tom landing his jab and you see Curtis's head shift.

Then Curtis throws another 1-2 which again misses while Tom lands a leg kick.

Tom throws a blind leg kick when Curtis throws a 2-1 this time. The right, at best, grazes Tom's forehead while the followup left hits Tom as he's already moving back and lands immediately before Tom's knee explodes. The biggest effect wasn't exactly the punch(es) but just eating the kick and crowding Tom to disrupt his chamber/stance.

7lFjV0Q.gif

While it is silly to pretend we can gather any meaningful evidence about who is better from this, it's also silly to suggest Curtis was getting the better of Tom. Frankly, the argument exists that Tom got the better part of every exchange up until the injury. But largely, this fight was entire nothingburger with zero condiments

Yeah for some reason, in their blind fanboyism of Aspinall, they can't seem to grasp the difference between thinking that Blaydes is better and thinking that he might have had the slight edge in the few exchanges they had. They're like, "since Aspinall is a better fighter, it's impossible for him to lose any exchanges with Blaydes at all" which is simply not true. No one is trying to debate that Blaydes is better than Aspinall, not even Jones.

I'll see what I can extrapolate.

First exchange: Aspinall lunges into a right, not a jab, and he went "flying backwards" because he was on one leg and had to take a step after getting pushed off that leg. Neither strike hit him in the face or were damaging in any way. Actually, biggest land here was Tom's lunging knee into Curtis' rib, which no one seems to mention, though it doesn't look like Curtis is affected by it either to be fair.

Then: Curtis throws a leg kick and Tom picks it up.

Next exchanges: They both throw 1-2's which mostly miss except for Tom landing his jab and you see Curtis's head shift.

Then Curtis throws another 1-2 which again misses while Tom lands a leg kick.

Tom throws a blind leg kick when Curtis throws a 2-1 this time. The right, at best, grazes Tom's forehead while the followup left hits Tom as he's already moving back and lands immediately before Tom's knee explodes. The biggest effect wasn't exactly the punch(es) but just eating the kick and crowding Tom to disrupt his chamber/stance.

7lFjV0Q.gif

While it is silly to pretend we can gather any meaningful evidence about who is better from this, it's also silly to suggest Curtis was getting the better of Tom. Frankly, the argument exists that Tom got the better part of every exchange up until the injury. But largely, this fight was entire nothingburger with zero condiments
So I find this to be interesting. By your own assessment, it could be argued Blaydes landed five strikes while it could only be argued Tom landed three. And thne you also admitted that none of them were damaging, so by that we'd then have to default to volume. I can get it being your opinion that Tom had the advantage. But how is it then silly to suggest the opposite?

Back