John Candy vs John Goodman - Most beloved actor?

John Candy is a Canadian hero. Him for sure, though Goodman is fantastic.

And as a Canadian I think the US has better micro breweries than us. It's not even really a question. I was at the Three Flloyds brewery in Indiana a couple months ago and it was great. Canada is really starting to produce some great beers, though. Especially in BC.

listen bud. on sherdog, there is not such thing as being subjective or a silly notion like 'personal taste'. its either black or white and no in betweening.

I am new around here so I will take your word on that.

Still I'm not backing down. America isn't even getting those big Reebok sponsorship bucks when it's comes to Beer. They're not even top 5 buddy

I submit to you this thread (about IMDB's list of top Canadian Comics):

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/greatest-canadian-comedians-2584339/

OP Below

http://www.imdb.com/list/kirRKd7KRAU/

Unbelievable almost

Here's the list of names according to IMDb (and I dont agree with the order but not sure its a ranking, so here goes . . .):

1. John Candy
2. Jim Carrey
3. Martin Short
4. Mike Myers
5. Dan Aykroyd
6. Dave Foley
7. Scott Thompson
8. Kevin McDonald
9. Bruce McCulloch
10. Mark McKinney
11. Leslie Nielson
12. Tom Green
13. Phil Hartman
14. Seth Rogan
15. Russell Peters
16. Will Arnett
17. Brent Butt
18. Eugene Levy
19. Steve Smith
20. Dave Thomas
21. Rick Moranis
22. Michael Cera
23. Tommy Chong
24. Colin Mochre
25. Michael J Fox
26. John Paul Tremblay
27. Rob Wells
28. Mike Smith
29. Catherine O'Hara
30. Will Sasso
31. Ryan Reynolds
32. Jay Baruchel
33. Rick Mercer
34. Norm MacDonald
35. Harland Williams
36. Jonathan Lajoie
37. Sean Cullen
38. Fred Ewanuick
39. Matthew Perry
40. Roger Abbot
41. Don Ferguson
42. Luba Goy
43. Eric Peterson
44. Howie Mandel
45. Jonathan Torrens
46. Daryn Jones
47. Gerry Dee

. . . I'm sure there are a few missing, but wow . . . Didn't know Michael Cera, Will Arnett and Tommy Chong (lol) were Canadian . . . A few others too.

Probably my all time favorites are: Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Brue McCullough and Michael J Fox.

I am new around here so I will take your word on that.

Still I'm not backing down. America isn't even getting those big Reebok sponsorship bucks when it's comes to Beer. They're not even top 5 buddy

You're likening beer and shoe endorsements.

Therefore you argument has no sole.

I noticed that everybody in this thread who said Goodman had the better movies did a piss poor job of listing his great movies. Outisde of Big Lebowski and maybe King Ralph, what are his best movies? I can only think of one or two movies where he was the main character.

Candy, on the other hand, has had his great movies listed multiple times in this thread. Uncle Buck, Planes/Trains/Automobiles, Who's Harry Crumb, Spaceballs, Canadian Bacon, Wagons East, hell... his part in Home Alone was funny.

I like Goodman as well, I really do, but outside of Roseanne and Lebowski he's pretty obscure.

I noticed that everybody in this thread who said Goodman had the better movies did a piss poor job of listing his great movies. Outisde of Big Lebowski and maybe King Ralph, what are his best movies? I can only think of one or two movies where he was the main character.

Candy, on the other hand, has had his great movies listed multiple times in this thread. Uncle Buck, Planes/Trains/Automobiles, Who's Harry Crumb, Spaceballs, Canadian Bacon, Wagons East, hell... his part in Home Alone was funny.

I like Goodman as well, I really do, but outside of Roseanne and Lebowski he's pretty obscure.

well said - I agree 100%

John Candy was great in Brewster's Millions.
It's a movie I would recommend to everyone.

2ik34no.jpg

Candy easy takes this. Mainly for the scene in splash when the scientists get in to the room where they're holding the mermaid and he's sat on the edge of the tank with his feet in the water and says "come on in guys the water's lovely "! As a side note splash gave me my first boner. That had more to do with daryl hannah than John candy though.
Also loved the film delirious as a kid.

Candy easy takes this. Mainly for the scene in splash when the scientists get in to the room where they're holding the mermaid and he's sat on the edge of the tank with his feet in the water and says "come on in guys the water's lovely "! As a side note splash gave me my first boner. That had more to do with daryl hannah than John candy though.
Also loved the film delirious as a kid.

Are you 100% sure about this?

The more I consider this comparison the more I realize there is none. Candy's body of work is so far beyond Goodman's it's hardly conversation worthy.

Candy by a mile. No one has mentioned his movie, Summer Rental. Hilarious and underrated.

John Candy is much more beloved than Goodman could ever be.
That being said, Goodman is the better actor, criminally underrated imo, albeit not as funny.

RIP John Candy.

I am not sure either is beloved although Candy would qualify over Goodman if it were the case.

Back