Joe Rogan: Jones is kidding himself if he thinks he can box with Klitschko

Joe Rogan is right. Same with with JDS thinking he could box the Klitschkos, and even at Roy's advanced age, Silva with RJJ. Rampage with Toney.

Different worlds.

Jones boxing is incredible. He spent his whole camp working on it, didn't even bother to try and take Gus down and finish him even though he could at any moment, and had his corner rub sandpaper all over his face in between rounds so that Gus would feel better about himself and a false sense of drama and competitiveness would be built up during the fight to entertain the fans.

He clearly just wanted to demonstrate that he was better than Gus standing and in boxing, and proved this by handily outstriking him while confidently not trying to get the fight to the ground at all. Gus had no answers for Jones' superior technical boxing skills, such as his spinning elbows, eyepokes, knee cap kicks, and slapping head kick feints that he intentionally aimed high to lull Gus into a false sense of security, only to use his hand to redirect his kicks back on track to Gus' head while sacrificing no power in the process.

Jones could clearly smash a Klitschko bro standing just as clearly as he outstruck Gus after choosing to keep the fight standing to prove his mastery of all facets of fighting.

Troll level > 9000

People are misinterpreting what Jon said. Obviously he doesn't think he could beat them now. He said if he focused on training boxing exclusively for an extended period of time then he'd like to challenge them. Nothing crazy like saying he could beat them right now or anything.

Jones didn't even have the boxing chops to beat Gustafsson with his hands in an MMA fight. The fuck's he going to do against one of the most dominant HW boxers in history in a ring?

Gus got put on spaghetti legs.

OK, so I guess I'll check out some fights.

Troll level > 9000

Lol, I was being sarcastic. I've just heard Jones fans repeatedly claim he wasn't trying hard to take Gus down (you know, despite 11 attempts), and that he stood with Gus to prove he was the better striker, and clearly outstruck him as well. Well, if Jones was so confident he was winning the standup, he wouldn't have been desperate to get the fight to the ground. He wanted to...he just couldn't.

I've also heard people claim Gus's blows were all glancing, soft strikes and that Jones landed all the telling blows in the fight, whereas Gus's blows only did anything to Jones' face because Jones naturally marks up easily (even though there's been zero indication of that at any time of his career up until now.) I guess if all this true, Gus would be the guy who was so mutilated his own mother couldn't recognize him and had to be carried out on a stretcher.

It's really an unprecedented display of trolling/nuthuggery/and fighter bashing from Jones fans against Gus...you know, a guy who was supposed to get destroyed in less than 3 rounds and was a 9-1 underdog, didn't belong in the same cage with Jon, etc.

My post was meant to collect and distill the Jones' fans arguments into one post in a humorous fashion.

With regard to Jones and a pro boxer... Triple G would fucking KO Jones inside of 1.

It's the same when people said that Anderson could ko Hoost in a kickboxing match.
Jones would maul Klitschko in a mma bout, but in boxing Jones wouldn't last a few rounds.

not even close, Anderson is the best striker in MMA. Jones boxing is a joke.

Jones said he could box with Klitschko? That's crazy talk. No mma fighter can box a champ in his same weight class.

not even close, Anderson is the best striker in MMA. Jones boxing is a joke.

anderson also walks around with his hands down and doesnt really check kicks. saying he would beat hoost is just a as crazy as jones beating wladimir

and kickboxers have great takedown defense :rolleyes:

crocop11.jpg

For someone who very rarely watches boxing, is it worth it to find and watch Klitschko fights?

You'll find greater entertainment watching Vitali Klitschko IMO.

The closed gloves won't let him eye poke, he would have to resort in low blows or sneaky headbutts instead.

Back