Joe Lauzon worried about brain damage.

It all depends on the person really.
I mean look at randy he's been thru some wars and fought till late 40's and he seems fine.

Boxer riddick bowe retired at 29. Guess bowe felt he was done and good on him to do so.

So it depends on the person.

1) randy started relatively late. and began in old school UFC era, when guys did not fight as frequent. The TUF generation guys are going to hold all the top spots for most fights & most time in the cage when they retire.

2) randy is elite/hof. not everybody (read: almost nobody) is going to be as successful. Most guys face alot more difficulty & get beat up alot more often trying to make a career in the UFC (j-lau, rick story, diego, etc.). Brain damage should concern them

"Just bleed" is not a good policy for your brain

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

Exactly. Everyone is taking this whole article the wrong way. He said IF he felt like he'd taken a lot of damage, he would retire. He even says he DOESN'T think that's the case.

What has to be remembered here is that genetics plays a big part...Some of these guys will have 40 fights and shit when they're done, and will be relatively fine.

While some will only have a quarter of that or so, and will end up with problems.

I know that my ability to heal, play with pain etc. was among the biggest reasons I was a good football player in college. I played on the line, and outlasted superior athletes simply because my genes (and huge metaphorical balls I have).

A guy like Shogun may just be naturally inclined to treating his body like shit lol, hell, look at Big Nog!

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

This.

It just depends on the fighter. Shogun has had his head treated like a basketball a few times, yet I really doubt he has or is getting close to brain damage.
How can you be so sure? The brain is very complex, if there's damage I'm sure there are a plethora of consequences besides the really apparent ones a layman would catch like slurred speech and poor memory.

I think what Pettis did to him damaged his brain a lot more than the Varner and Miller fights. I'm glad to see he's thinking about his future though. He's a smart kid it would be a shame if he lost that

Well, he's a smart guy, sometimes it's not worth the damage. He has a degree in Computer Science, so it's not like he would have a hard time getting a job, while he runs his gym.

A degree in computer science is ok but no way is it a slam dunk to get a job let alone a high paying job...... Also consider what a guy like JL makes in a single fight, working 2 years for that same money in computers would be a tough pill to swallow. The thing with brain injury and damage is its development.....The very brain that is damaged is assessing if it is damaged.....

It just depends on the fighter. Shogun has had his head treated like a basketball a few times, yet I really doubt he has or is getting close to brain damage. Then you look at Chuck and he with out a doubt has some problems going on.

Its always better to hang them up early instead of too late.

Symptoms can take decades to appear. His brain could be really fucked already.

It just depends on the fighter. Shogun has had his head treated like a basketball a few times, yet I really doubt he has or is getting close to brain damage.

Shogun unquestionably has some kind of brain damage. As does pretty much any professional fighter. The fact that it may not be easy to notice on a superficial inspection means nothing.

It's great to see Lauzon is aware of it. I think he will know when it's time to hang up the gloves.

It just depends on the fighter. Shogun has had his head treated like a basketball a few times, yet I really doubt he has or is getting close to brain damage. Then you look at Chuck and he with out a doubt has some problems going on.

Its always better to hang them up early instead of too late.
We'll see once Shogun is 40

In his entire career, Shogun has only taken any kind of significant damage in a small number of fights.

People saying Shogun has brain damage have only seen a few of his fights

It's good he cares. But honestly NFL players get it much worst than MMA fighters IMO. Every play someone's head is going into another giant man with a lot of force.

Athletes in any sport with constant blows to the head and concussions need to be worried about brain damage.

I don't want to see my favorite fighters having a hard time spiting out complete sentences at 50 years old. Joe is aware of the long term dangers of fighting, Other fighters should pay attention.

Lame, he's an exciting fighter but I don't blame him when he's a pretty intelligent guy who doesn't need to fight but he still chooses to.

Did people forget his fight before varner? He got ko'd in brutal fashion.

As he should be. He gets hit a lot.

Edit: No more dubs!!!!!!!!!!!!

By that rationale, a huge number of athletes are in the wrong sport.

Not many athletes readily commit themselves to being punched and kicked and elbowed and kneed and slammed on their head.

Despite their not being many documented cases for damage in MMA, the sport is innately, very violent with an emphasis on stoppages as a selling point.

Back