Joe Lauzon worried about brain damage.

Great comments because this is a discussion that the fighters and all MMA orgs need to have, just as football has finally come around to treating concussions as a serious injury. Bravo to him for making this contribution.

After seeing that JDS beating I worried for his future health. Fighters need to be safe and remember they hope to be around, and cognizant, many years after hanging up the gloves.

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

I was wondering the same damn thing.

There are so many sensationalist threads landing around here lately and people pounce on them with stupid responses without even reading the content.

I hate excessive Mod control on any forum site but I think more people need some vacation time around here for posting sensationalist threads.

What does he expect? He isn't in the PGA. If he's worried about the consequences of his fights then get out of the sport. This isn't like football where they can improve the safety of the sport by adding tackling rules and safer equipment.

Actually, they can make it safer in little ways.

You're in the wrong sport if you're worried about brain damage.

Concussions are never pretty.

Imagine the risk to fighters like the Diaz brothers.They may have great chins now and are able to absorb damage but that adds up.

He started out the year getting head-kick KO'd by Pettis, went through a war where he got dropped twice and bombed on throughout the entire fight by Varner (he still won it and was getting the better of the fight in a lot of it, but he still was getting bombed on), and got fucked up in the first round by Miller and nearly KO'd several times. Lauzon's really had a rough year... it's good he's thinking about this if he keeps getting in these kinds of fights. It's good he's thinking of an ancillary plan for this whole "getting hit in the head for money" thing.

I was wondering the same damn thing.

There are so many sensationalist threads landing around here lately and people pounce on them with stupid responses without even reading the content.

I hate excessive Mod control on any forum site but I think more people need some vacation time around here for posting sensationalist threads.

I agree, it's been weird.

It's like thread starters these days find a quote and think of the most sensational headline they can attach to it, start their thread with that headline and then use the quote out of context as the basis for their thread. More and more of this going on - I guess it's attention whoring...'hey everybody look at MY thread!'

This one isn't even an extreme example, as I'm sure Joe Lauzon IS indeed worried about brain damage, but that's not really what he said, just that being in wars every fight and taking a lot of damage isn't a good way to go about your career.

sad, but in contact sports guys need to know when to hang it up

hes a LW, its not the same as getting hit by a LHW or a HW. He should stay, besides, i've seen worse beatings.

True but his neck muscles and skull are much smaller than that of a HW or LHW so it's still dangerous.

If he has aniother way to make the same money tomorrow, he would be a fool not to take it.

What did Dana say about boxers having more risk of braindamage?

What does he expect? He isn't in the PGA. If he's worried about the consequences of his fights then get out of the sport. This isn't like football where they can improve the safety of the sport by adding tackling rules and safer equipment.

nahh they end up getting knocked retarded too after a while. QBs especially.

Yes, he is a great example. If he takes 1 or 2 more beatings like that I would say he needs to hang it up and be a coach or something. No point in fighting people who are that far out of your league when you have a chin like that, you'll just get your brain rattled around. Brutal fight.

yea seriously - i mean, he can prob still be competitive and is still a great fighter, but you dont want to take beatings like that

this is your one life

You're in the wrong sport if you're worried about brain damage.

Concussions are never pretty.

By that rationale, a huge number of athletes are in the wrong sport.

It all depends on the person really.
I mean look at randy he's been thru some wars and fought till late 40's and he seems fine.

Boxer riddick bowe retired at 29. Guess bowe felt he was done and good on him to do so.

So it depends on the person.

It also depends on the brain trauma the person receives over the course of his career.

Back