Joe Lauzon worried about brain damage.

Guys need to know when to quit for their own good but often their love of the competition keeps them in too long.

fighting is never good for your health, a prof fighter needs to decide for himself when time has come. Joe can still make some decent money.

It just depends on the fighter. Shogun has had his head treated like a basketball a few times, yet I really doubt he has or is getting close to brain damage. Then you look at Chuck and he with out a doubt has some problems going on.

Its always better to hang them up early instead of too late.

Lauzon is one of the smartest fighters in the game

What does he expect? He isn't in the PGA. If he's worried about the consequences of his fights then get out of the sport. This isn't like football where they can improve the safety of the sport by adding tackling rules and safer equipment.

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

I'm glad he's talking about it. Concussions and brain trauma are real, and fighters take huge risks every time they fight.

Well, he's a smart guy, sometimes it's not worth the damage. He has a degree in Computer Science, so it's not like he would have a hard time getting a job, while he runs his gym.

It's good that he thinks about such things and whoever said that he doesn't need to worry is just wrong there are enough boxers in light divisions (much lighter than 155) that have brain damage, at HW you don't take that many punches because you get knocked out but in the lighter divisions you get hit a lot more

What does he expect? He isn't in the PGA. If he's worried about the consequences of his fights then get out of the sport. This isn't like football where they can improve the safety of the sport by adding tackling rules and safer equipment.
You can easily make rules to make this or any combat sport safer, but that's beyond the point. EVERY fighter is worried about brain damage or other crippling injuries; they'd have to be full on retarded to not realize and care about what could happen.

Joe is just stating he doesn't intend to keep taking beatings if the negative effects become apparent; which could mean he plans on dialing down his own intensity, fighting less or possibly even retiring.

All mma fighters should be worried about this.

Well, he's a smart guy, sometimes it's not worth the damage. He has a degree in Computer Science, so it's not like he would have a hard time getting a job, while he runs his gym.

Dana would probably give him a job tomorrow doing IT work for the UFC. Which might not be a bad gig, actually.

Smart of him, MMA fans/media love to say that MMA is so safe and nobody gets brain damage from it, but its a young sport we haven't yet seen the effects of an MMA career on an ageing ex fighter. Getting taken down and having a guy like Lesnar or any dominant wrestler pounding away at you for a few rounds several times in your career can do some bad things, not to mention the smaller gloves barely cushioning each blow.

Some people have styles where they don't take much damage compared to say the Joe Lauzons and the Chris Lebens of the sport.

Saying "get out of the sport then" is a bit harsh! His fight against Jim Miller I'd say was the most damage he's taken in the octagon BY FAR.

Urijah Faber talks about this subject in his book, he says he's also worried about brain damage when retirement comes and says that people should be smart when choosing sparring partners and be smart in the ring so they can live a happy life after the UFC, nothing wrong with that.

I'm always happy seeing fighters retire when they should, like Hamill (before he came out of retirement) and Hominick.

I'm at University getting my Master in Sc. Electrical Engineering and i love fighting, but I would give it up in a heartbeat if I thought I had recieved too much damage. The mind is so much more important in the long run.

Back