Joe Lauzon worried about brain damage.

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

All of those to me mean that he will retire, especially the second quote, if he takes a lot more damage like his last two fights. He also said that he likes being an exciting fighter, but not if it means he is going to be exciting for getting beat up. Does he really need to literally say retire for you to understand what he means?

Have you read the article? It just cites that Lauzon is aware of the danger and does not want to become permamently damaged. Not that he is thinking of retirering.

I quote:

"And while he believes it's too early in his career to be worried, Lauzon is well aware of what could happen if he maintains this pace.

"I don't feel I've taken any real abuse or punishment," he concluded. "But the thing is I don't want to. I don't want to have wars if that means I'm going to forget my own name. If it got to that point, I would reassess everything and take a step back.

"I went to school for computer science. I can still remember all the classes and everything I learned
""

This - thank you for quoting. The thread title is a little misleading.

Maldonado should be more concerned. What glover did to him was just scary. I was just waiting for his head to explode.

I hope every fighter starts thinking about brain damage at some point, so that they don't regret a decision they never even made later in their life. At some point you have to choose to either retire, stop fighting back after taking big shots or just saying "fuck it" and accepting that this is the life you chose.

Well, it's very good the fact that he is thinking about it, anothers fighters should do that too. BTW, Everybody knows that MMA and anothers sports when praticed in high level isn't good for atlhete's health.

This - thank you for quoting. The thread title is a little misleading.

What in the world? It is a paraphrase of the TITLE of the article I linked and then my thoughts on my post and asking if people need to retire after some serious wars. Did you even read the article or my main post? Insanity that both of you say I'm misleading people when it's not the case.

Last edited:
Good. Wish more fighters recognized & spoke about this.

hes a LW, its not the same as getting hit by a LHW or a HW. He should stay, besides, i've seen worse beatings.

it's exactly the same... That's the reason there are weight classes. You think Dimentia only affects heavyweights?

Well, if he plans to fight smarter but safer - good for him. I dont want him (or anyone) to retire early cause of brain damage.

It all depends on the person really.
I mean look at randy he's been thru some wars and fought till late 40's and he seems fine.

Boxer riddick bowe retired at 29. Guess bowe felt he was done and good on him to do so.

So it depends on the person.

Maldonado should be more concerned. What glover did to him was just scary. I was just waiting for his head to explode.

Yes, he is a great example. If he takes 1 or 2 more beatings like that I would say he needs to hang it up and be a coach or something. No point in fighting people who are that far out of your league when you have a chin like that, you'll just get your brain rattled around. Brutal fight.

Yes, he is a great example. If he takes 1 or 2 more beatings like that I would say he needs to hang it up and be a coach or something. No point in fighting people who are that far out of your league when you have a chin like that, you'll just get your brain rattled around. Brutal fight.

I think this probably applies to Shogun too. Over the past few years, he's taken too many beatings for comfort.

hes a LW, its not the same as getting hit by a LHW or a HW. He should stay, besides, i've seen worse beatings.

Yea, I would much rather get hit by a car than a transport

I freakin love Joe Lauzon. I wish him all the best in the future and whatever he decides to do.

All of those to me mean that he will retire, especially the second quote, if he takes a lot more damage like his last two fights. He also said that he likes being an exciting fighter, but not if it means he is going to be exciting for getting beat up. Does he really need to literally say retire for you to understand what he means?

If your point is, that he will retire if he thinks he is in imminent danger of permanent damage, It's true. That is what he is saying yes. I'm not trying to start any back and forth discussion here, because I think you made this thread more as an open debate on fighters and when it's time to retire.

However, I got the impression that you were saying Lauzon is thinking of retireing as of this moment. That however, is not what he is saying. He is saying he wants to avoid the excessive damage in the future, so that he doesn't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the accumulating damage to the brain is larger at the lighter weight classes. They usually get hit in the head way more times than the big guys.

The Miller fight will change Lauzon forever as a fighter. I wouldn't be surprised he starts going for submissions quicker than usual in order to avoid the stand up wars. Having those wars may get you some fans but is it worth it 20 years from now if you can't remember who you are, I think not.

J-Lau proving he's ahead of the curve.

What in the world? It is a paraphrase of the TITLE of the article I linked and then my thoughts on my post and asking if people need to retire after some serious wars. Did you even read the article or my main post? Insanity that both of you say I'm misleading people when it's not the case.

Not saying you were trying to mislead, but I understand Joe's comments more as he's self-aware and aware of the dangers as opposed to being worried. It felt rather he was addressing a topic as opposed to offering up his retirement plans.

Back